1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My uncle's 53

Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 PM
lfed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My uncle's 53

Hi
My uncle Dale started this truck about 40 years ago about 10years ago he passed away and left the truck to me to finish. His plan was to have a 390 engine and a C6 transmission for power and that's what I'll be using.
I have been poking around FTE for a little while and have found some great information here. I would like to share my build with the members here at FTE.
What I have done so far. I have the front fenders, hood and grill in primer and I have the cab off the frame. I have the frame taken apart and sent to get sandblasted and powder coated. My plan for the chassis and suspension is to lower it a couple inches with short and smooth springs and install disc brakes and install a 9" rear axle.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:36 PM
MCarlson
Senior User
It looks to be in really great shape. Nice to hear it's staying in the family. Welcome to board. I've always had a soft spot for FE big blocks. Can't go wrong there.
Mike

Old 12-14-2014, 08:39 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome! Good looking truck and great backstory. It's always bittersweet when an unfinished project is passed on generationally. Here's wishing that you'll enjoy the miles your uncle only dreamt about.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:55 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FE in a 53...Think 1963. Think function instead of looks. It's a heavy engine in a little light truck, maybe you need pretty stout suspension on the front. Maybe you need some more weight on the back and the suspension on the back set up and in a period way.

A FE in a 53....now that's a truck.

F-100 XL Drag Pickup

Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 AM
lfed
Junior User
I think his intentions were to be able to spin the tires.
That F-100 drag truck is cool. a guy that I use to work with had a one piece body truck sitting in the back corner of his shop, that must be a rare truck.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:47 AM
GrifN
Junior User
Nice truck, good story. Glad to see you pick up the project. I just bought a '53 myself, but yours it much more put together than mine; mine essentially came in boxes. And it's still in boxes. :P What state is this happening in? Given the trees in the background, I'm going to guess not Georgia. Haha!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 PM
jonnireb
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good looking truck,
I had an FE in my '56. I assure you that you will easily spin the tires.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:23 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by F-ONE
FE in a 53...Think 1963. Think function instead of looks. It's a heavy engine in a little light truck, maybe you need pretty stout suspension on the front. Maybe you need some more weight on the back and the suspension on the back set up and in a period way.

A FE in a 53....now that's a truck.

F-100 XL Drag Pickup
The engines that came stock in 54-56 (yblocks) weighed almost the same as the FE series engines ( I think its 50 pounds different) so he will be fine

That's a good looking truck

Old 12-16-2014, 04:59 PM
lfed
Junior User

Hi Guy's
Thanks' for the nice commits. Yesterday was like Christmas for me, I got the frame and miscellaneous parts back from the powder coaters and the reverse eye main leaf springs showed up ( thanks' to the fedex man ) and I got the rest of the old paint off the cab.
My idea was to take the old springs apart and put them on the new mains. I have eight leafs including the main on the old ones and was thinking that I could go down to five including the main and I'm not sure which ones I should use. If anyone has done this I would appreciate their input.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the information from Mid Fifty F-100 Parts' catalog (2014 edition p. 143)- which I think is the accepted method I see described on here quite often. I'm sure you could find some more information using the Search.

"Note: if you are removing your own spring leaves, we suggest: starting at bottom: keep #1 (shortest one) remove #2 (next one), keep #3, remove #4, and so on, depending on how many you have. Never go under 5 springs. Some secondarys (below main) may have a “wrap” cut it back away from eye 1.5”. Add new main leaf with reversed eyes, poly ride, and new clamps. Makes about a 3 to 3 1/2” drop. All used spring leaves should be
checked for cracks, fatigue or uneven arch. Use longer head center bolt to accommodate alignment shims.
"

Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a beautiful cab. Based on the rust at the rear fender/running board connection, I'm surprised it doesn't show rusted out corners.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:07 PM
lfed
Junior User
Thanks' Schuyles, for the information.
It's not the original cab. The cab came from a fire truck it only had a little under 7000 miles on it. What it looks like to me is the cowl area was not sealed and road dirt got in there and after 60yr rusted out. Since it was a fire truck I had a lot of holes to weld up.
One of the ***** that are on the dash said throttle, was that only on the big trucks?
Lloyd

Old 12-17-2014, 05:33 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome!
Nice truck. Are you familiar with taking apart the leaf springs safely? They may look safe but can break a shin or wrist if done incorrectly. Same with properly cleaning the leafs without causing stress risers that will promote cracking. I have posted the info a number of times, the advanced search function is your friend on here. To access click search in the center of the blue band at the top of every page. select advanced search from the drop menu. There you can search on keywords, by user name, by date range, and what forums to search, or any combo. Try spring disassembly cleaning, AXracer, this forum as search criteria.
Finally be sure to put in plastic slider strips between the leafs when reassembling. Mid Fifty sell the strip by the roll. Sounds like you do not have a Mid Fifty catalog, a must have for any owner of a 53-56 Ford truck, it is much more than just a list of parts. It's free! give em a call, ask them to send you a copy Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts (and they are great people to work with!) While you have them on the phone ordering the slider strip, order 2 sets of alignment shims you'll need them to increase caster (tip the top of the axle back) after doing the spring mods, and a pair of extended head ceterbolts to accommodate the shims.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:43 PM
lfed
Junior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Welcome!
Nice truck. Are you familiar with taking apart the leaf springs safely? They may look safe but can break a shin or wrist if done incorrectly. Same with properly cleaning the leafs without causing stress risers that will promote cracking. I have posted the info a number of times, the advanced search function is your friend on here. To access click search in the center of the blue band at the top of every page. select advanced search from the drop menu. There you can search on keywords, by user name, by date range, and what forums to search, or any combo. Try spring disassembly cleaning, AXracer, this forum as search criteria.
Finally be sure to put in plastic slider strips between the leafs when reassembling. Mid Fifty sell the strip by the roll. Sounds like you do not have a Mid Fifty catalog, a must have for any owner of a 53-56 Ford truck, it is much more than just a list of parts. It's free! give em a call, ask them to send you a copy Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts (and they are great people to work with!) While you have them on the phone ordering the slider strip, order 2 sets of alignment shims you'll need them to increase caster (tip the top of the axle back) after doing the spring mods, and a pair of extended head ceterbolts to accommodate the shims.

Thank you for the spring and search information. now I'm finding information not just poking holes in the dark
I bought the rev eye main spring kit from Mid Fifty so I have all the stuff you mentioned and I also have the alignment shims. It would have been nice if they would have sent the spring instruction with the main kit. I've ask them so many question already that when they see my number, they think not that guy again.(ha ha ha )

Lloyd

Old 12-17-2014, 08:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by lfed
Thank you for the spring and search information. now I'm finding information not just poking holes in the dark
I bought the rev eye main spring kit from Mid Fifty so I have all the stuff you mentioned and I also have the alignment shims. It would have been nice if they would have sent the spring instruction with the main kit. I've ask them so many question already that when they see my number, they think not that guy again.(ha ha ha )

Lloyd
Did you look at the catalog they sent you with your order? The spring info is right there in the spring section. P 143.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My uncle's 53