Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 PM
New User

rucker007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
4 Wheel drive squeeking when locked in

My first post here fellas. Ive had my X since aug. shes a 2001 7.3 l 4X4. i have done a ton of work to get the suspension and steering right. changed all the shocks, added hellwig sways to front and rear, replaced steering gear with redhead, ball joints and added warns hubs. my question is today was the first time engaging the four wheel drive. i locked the hubs and turned the switch to 4X4 low, it starting squeeking and squalling and felt like my wheels were coming off. i put everything back to 2WD. i switched it to four wheel with out locking the hubs. no problem. when i locked the hubs in it started again. been doing some research and looking at needle bearings, wheel bearings and axle joints.

any ideas
thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2014, 11:46 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Sounds like u-joints. Can you state the symptoms simpler? (4wd hi, no squeak etc.)
Old 12-15-2014, 02:36 PM
New User

I raised the front wheels off the ground today and spun them freely. Nice and smooth also no movement from the wheel bearings. I checked for movement in the u joints. Didn't seem to be any. While wheels are spinning freely I manually locked the hub in ( warn hub) and the banging noise of two pieces of metal can be heard. It's not smooth any more. The selector on the dash remains in 2wd. If I leave the hubs in free mode and switch to 4x4 there is no noise only when combining the two things of engaging 4x4 and locking hubs does the noise show up.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Postmaster

sammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucker007 View Post
I raised the front wheels off the ground today and spun them freely. Nice and smooth also no movement from the wheel bearings. I checked for movement in the u joints. Didn't seem to be any. While wheels are spinning freely I manually locked the hub in ( warn hub) and the banging noise of two pieces of metal can be heard. It's not smooth any more. The selector on the dash remains in 2wd. If I leave the hubs in free mode and switch to 4x4 there is no noise only when combining the two things of engaging 4x4 and locking hubs does the noise show up.
There is no point in putting it in 4x4 if your hubs are not locked as you won't be powering your front wheels, just your front drivetrain with no wheels/attached to it. If you want 4WD you need to pull those locking hubs off and see what the problem is.

2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.8L V10 85k
"The secret to a happy life is a bad memory"
Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 PM
New User

Right . I was trying to trouble shoot by isolating parts. Engaging the switch on the dash starts the axles rotating. No noise. When I add the locking hubs the banging starts. Also if it's in 2wdthe wheels spin free with no problems. When I lock the hubs the banging starts. The hubs are brand new. The area is free of dirt just a lite coat of grease. Could wheel bearings be bad even if there is no abnormal movement of they assy. No movement in the u joints either.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Postmaster

sammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Right . I was trying to trouble shoot by isolating parts. Engaging the switch on the dash starts the axles rotating. No noise. When I add the locking hubs the banging starts. Also if it's in 2wdthe wheels spin free with no problems. When I lock the hubs the banging starts. The hubs are brand new. The area is free of dirt just a lite coat of grease. Could wheel bearings be bad even if there is no abnormal movement of they assy. No movement in the u joints either.
This tells me the problem is in your "locking hubs" not your "unit bearing hubs", if it was the main hub unit bearing or the needle bearings on the back side of those hubs it would most likely "stop making noise" when you lock in the hubs. The fact that it is quiet until you lock in the hubs points to the locking mechanism, washers, parts inside the locking hub.

If this is the first time you have engaged the locking mechanism since you installed them you may have an install issue or a bad locking hub. Pull them both back off and look and confirm everything is good. Are all your washers in the correct place?

Large slotted washer goes behind the main hub unit bearing (slots facing out) , then the main unit hub goes on, then 1st of two plastic washers, then the metal washer, then the 2nd of two plastic washers, then the snap ring, then the spring, locking mechanism, and cap.

Have some pictures of mine if that doesn't make sense but I have to find them.
Found some pics - not of mine but online (can't find the right camera sd card)

Large one goes behind the unit bearing - slots facing out
Three smaller ones go in front of unit bearing and before the locking hub - round plastic, octagon metal, round plastic - then snap ring on top of those three.
Attached Images

2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.8L V10 85k
"The secret to a happy life is a bad memory"
Old 12-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Senior User

Lance Helmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is it both hubs or just one side?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 AM
New User

I dont recognoize any of those parts from my install. I removed the old OEM hubs that were on the vehicle and installed the WARN hubs per instructions. there were no extra washers. the hubs slid back onto the axle into the slot and i used the snap ring to hold them in place. it seemed pretty straight forward. i'll check the install directions again to make sure i didnt miss anything.
its both sides.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 AM
New User

just talked with Warn customer service. he told me the grove for the snap ring sometimes is larger than normal and will cause rattleing. he is sending me another set of snap rings. i'll let you know how it goes.
thanks for the help
Old 12-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
just talked with Warn customer service. he told me the grove for the snap ring sometimes is larger than normal and will cause rattleing. he is sending me another set of snap rings. i'll let you know how it goes.
thanks for the help
I doubt if that is it. Did you check the u-joints closely ? The main wheel bearings won't change in 4-wd. Did you take the hubs apart and check them closely?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:14 AM