6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

CCV re-route follow-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
CCV re-route follow-up

Hi guys,

I did a CCV re-route about 3 yrs ago. I used the Racor 4500 filter and routed the filtered air back into the intake system.

So I was just in checking all of this out doing my standpipes and dummy plugs yesterday.

The upshot is I was very disappointed. Main trouble is there was still some oil in the turbo and in the passenger side CAC tube. It really was not that much better than before installing the re-route.

Additionally, some of the hose fittings had wiggled loose and oil was leaking everywhere - the valve cover and left side of the engine were a mess. I think the extra hoses were in the way when I had the Regulated Return installed. When I put it on, the hose fittings were as tight as I could turn the clamps. But the whole thing is hiding under the degas bottle so it was hard to see.

Anyway I decided to go back to stock. The oil on the driveway was annoying. When I had to change the FICM, those extra hoses made the job a royal PITA. I was about to drain the coolant b/c I could not get the degas bottle out of the way with those damn hoses in there. I suppose I could have gone for the more simple hose down to the exhaust.

SO my feeling is the CCV mod may not really be worth the bother. As the truck gets older, getting in and out of it become more important. It is easy enough to clean up some oil in the intake/turbo.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:52 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I got rid of mine too. A long while ago.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:07 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. I concluded that to me there was no benefit to this. I started off with my old 7.3 vented to the air, then did a catch can, and went back.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys - good to hear. I thought I would get chastised for this. To me this is one of those things that make lots of sense on paper and not so much in reality. One less filter to change as well.

BTW, if someone wants to pay shipping, I send my set-up to you. I just put a new filter in. I hate throwing things out but the garage is becoming a mess of truck parts.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
PM sent.

Sean

Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Still running mine - no issues.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a fan of the exhaust route. Nasty air comes out the tailpipe anyways. Why not route it there. Lots of miles and the intake and cac system is clean.

We have a box for you Mark,, but I forgot to have the ups lady grab it. It will get sent,,, someday. Lol

Old 12-17-2014, 09:33 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Add 2nd CCV Line

I put a second CCV line on my motor vice re-routing the original. That way both sides of the motor could breathe at the same time. Used a straight 1/2" brass hose fitting for the oil fill tube, a 90° plastic fitting for the line between the CAI and the turbo and connected the two with a piece of 1/2" heater hose.

Ed

Old 12-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
I'm a fan of the exhaust route. Nasty air comes out the tailpipe anyways. Why not route it there. Lots of miles and the intake and cac system is clean.

We have a box for you Mark,, but I forgot to have the ups lady grab it. It will get sent,,, someday. Lol
My main disappointment was that even with the filter on there, there was still some oil finding its way back into the intake. Your method is the better way to do it. I would have to get someone to weld a plug for the intake though.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Do you mean weld a plug in the tailpipe?? I use a PVC plastic cap (Home depot) and it fits perfectly into the tip (turbo inlet pipe). The blowby never touches the engine once it leaves the valve cover.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
yeah I was out taking a look at that last night and realized it is plastic (the intake hole), but I am still not sure the best way to plug it. Did you leave the elbow from the CCV hose in there and put the cap on over that? Did you use Blue glue for that? I worry about that opening allowing junk in the turbo.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:44 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you mean weld a plug in the tailpipe?? I use a PVC plastic cap (Home depot) and it fits perfectly into the tip (turbo inlet pipe). The blowby never touches the engine once it leaves the valve cover.
My confusion is how and where do you introduce it into the exhaust stream.
Do you fabricate some type of ventuie. Avg exhaust pressure by manual gauge test is about 12.psi. CCV vent by manomometer is seldom over 4 psi.

Would not this actually blow exhaust gas back into the crank case?
Just asking????? The ole mans mind is a little foggy today.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:30 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullid01
yeah I was out taking a look at that last night and realized it is plastic (the intake hole), but I am still not sure the best way to plug it. Did you leave the elbow from the CCV hose in there and put the cap on over that? Did you use Blue glue for that? I worry about that opening allowing junk in the turbo.
I believe what he is talking about is screwing a plug into the elbow of the air intake. Then use the 45° angle piece with the green o ring to route the CCV elsewhere.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:41 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts

Fantastic!!! No hurry at all!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:20 PM
chaser1602
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sullid01
Hi guys,

I did a CCV re-route about 3 yrs ago. I used the Racor 4500 filter and routed the filtered air back into the intake system.

So I was just in checking all of this out doing my standpipes and dummy plugs yesterday.

The upshot is I was very disappointed. Main trouble is there was still some oil in the turbo and in the passenger side CAC tube. It really was not that much better than before installing the re-route.

Additionally, some of the hose fittings had wiggled loose and oil was leaking everywhere - the valve cover and left side of the engine were a mess. I think the extra hoses were in the way when I had the Regulated Return installed. When I put it on, the hose fittings were as tight as I could turn the clamps. But the whole thing is hiding under the degas bottle so it was hard to see.

Anyway I decided to go back to stock. The oil on the driveway was annoying. When I had to change the FICM, those extra hoses made the job a royal PITA. I was about to drain the coolant b/c I could not get the degas bottle out of the way with those damn hoses in there. I suppose I could have gone for the more simple hose down to the exhaust.

SO my feeling is the CCV mod may not really be worth the bother. As the truck gets older, getting in and out of it become more important. It is easy enough to clean up some oil in the intake/turbo.

Did you clean out the tubes & cac after doing the vent reroute? How else could the oil get out if you didn't? If you did clean it out how could it get back in there?

Quick Reply: CCV re-route follow-up