Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Starts Runs then Slows Dies!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you even try the trick with the ATF?

Old 12-15-2014, 07:36 PM
GRoke7.3
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were going to give it a try but my grandpa decided to volunteer me to haul cattle with iam the only truck with a goose hitch

Old 12-15-2014, 08:51 PM
GRoke7.3
Cross-Country
Put in some kleen diesel booter and helped out quite a bit. Got home and is missing bad. Going to try the ATF trick with a new fliter and let it sit. Now iam affraid it might have caused a malfunction with the fuel pump or IP. See how she does after if not the tank's comming back out. Got to go back to ol'faithful for a date tomorrow since the beast is out for now

Old 12-19-2014, 11:02 AM
GRoke7.3
Cross-Country
Well we tried the ATF trick with only little help to it ran for about an hour good but back to the same result of a either pluged filter. We pressed the relief valve in the top side of filter little pressue. Thinking it might be the fuel pump that got messed up from the sugar being in their

Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i would pull the tank and flush it out, then flush the lines from tank to pump, and pump to filter.
change the lift pump, and put a new filter in.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 PM
GRoke7.3
Cross-Country
New lift pump. No help. Drained tank and diesel doesn't have the normal oder or color. Its a very dark brown looks like HYD fluid cant see to bottom. The smell of it burns rather then the usual diesel smell. Put it in some buckets to set over night see what it looks like in the morning and drop the tank. My dad is figuring from the smell and odd color that antifreeze was put in.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GRoke7.3
New lift pump. No help. Drained tank and diesel doesn't have the normal oder or color. Its a very dark brown looks like HYD fluid cant see to bottom. The smell of it burns rather then the usual diesel smell. Put it in some buckets to set over night see what it looks like in the morning and drop the tank. My dad is figuring from the smell and odd color that antifreeze was put in.
Yeah, antifreeze won't exactly burn. :P

You might actually have the water/AF settle out, and be able to pour any usable diesel off the top; water is heavier than diesel(which also means that when you're driving and pulling fuel from the tank, you get the water first).

In that case, you should be fine; Once you get the 'water' out of the lines, and have diesel through the IP, it should run just fine.

One thought though... If you're worried about this happening again, hook up a Tee and shut-off valves just before the lift pump, and keep a few feet of hose and a jerry can of fuel in the truck. Problems? Just shut off the valve from the lift pump to tank and open the other leg; run a hose from that into a jerry can and strap it to the front.
Problem solved, enough to get home anyway.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:26 PM
GRoke7.3
Cross-Country
Alright guys we got her to run flushed all the lines. The diesel that came out had sugar suspended in it. Took a little bit to turn on but started. With one kink that keeps worring me is that when it cranks. It turns on runs and then just dies. I have to crank it for awhile to turn it back on and keep my foot on the pedel 1500 for 30sec to keep it on and runs like nothing after. Just need this last little thing. Dont know if iam losing pressue or something.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Alright guys we got her to run flushed all the lines. The diesel that came out had sugar suspended in it. Took a little bit to turn on but started. With one kink that keeps worring me is that when it cranks. It turns on runs and then just dies. I have to crank it for awhile to turn it back on and keep my foot on the pedel 1500 for 30sec to keep it on and runs like nothing after. Just need this last little thing. Dont know if iam losing pressue or something.
This is classic leakdown of fuel("air intrusion"). Easiest solution as far as I'm concerned is to get a squeeze-bulb primer( Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-Fuel-Line-Hand-Primer-Bulb-All-Fuels10mm-3-8-Length-150MM-9001080A-/251609036613?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a95113745&vxp=mtr ) and place it between the transfer pump and the filter head.
This prevents fuel from draining back to the tank, solving the problem. And you can always use it to prime the system if you ever need to.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 PM
GRoke7.3
Cross-Country
Where could the air be getting in through from all the problems i've had to get her running again? Filter? Fuel lines? Pump?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Where could the air be getting in through from all the problems i've had to get her running again? Filter? Fuel lines? Pump?
It can leak in through the return system, and back up the bypass hose into into the filter(that small return line is supposed to have a checkvalve inside the housing, but they usually have failed by now), or pretty much anywhere.
The transfer pump must have a check-valve in it too, but they rarely work perfectly enough to prevent draindown over a matter of hours.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:09 PM
GRoke7.3
Cross-Country
Its never done it to me this bad before that as soon as i crank it dies. I could not use it for a few days and crank on the first round and start. Only till today it stated doing that after going all everything out of it and in a matter of minuets of turning off

Old 12-24-2014, 07:25 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Its never done it to me this bad before that as soon as i crank it dies. I could not use it for a few days and crank on the first round and start. Only till today it stated doing that after going all everything out of it and in a matter of minuets of turning off

my bet is the sugar got into one of the check valves and is hanging it open, or it messed up something in the return line system letting air in.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:51 AM
GRoke7.3
Cross-Country
Where would the check valves be located at?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:18 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
there is one in the filter head where the line comes from the front injector on the passenger side. there is also one in the line form the filter to lift pump, or in the lift pump itself.
and there should also be one in the return line from the back of the engine to fuel selector valve.

Quick Reply: Starts Runs then Slows Dies!