General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

A Typical Craigslist Transaction Scenario

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:42 PM
ARW
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Typical Craigslist Transaction Scenario

I've had my share of Craigslist dealings as most everyone has acting as both as a buyer and a seller but the latter position has made me question whether the effort is actually worth it sometimes.

I'll give a rundown of how the usual transaction goes when acting as a seller. In case you are wondering, I have lived in different states and this type of occurrence is not subjected to one particular area, FWIW.

Anyway, it goes something like this:

Me (seller): I have X part listed for $50. A full description with answers to questions that I think people are going to ask with included photos.

John Doe-(interested party): "what is the lowest price you'll take for "X" item"

Me: "As it states in the ad, $50- non-negotiable, please"

John Doe: Proceeds to ask for an item description and asks questions, 99% of which are already clarified in the ad as if they did not even read a word of it.

John Doe: "i can meet at 1:00 pm"

Me: "Ok, great, let's meet at the Whole Foods parking lot at xx location if that works for you."

John Doe: "soundls good"

Me: I drive to Whole Foods and arrive at 12:57 pm

John Doe: Sends a message at 12:58 pm- "i'mm running a littlle late, i'lll text u when im on my wayy"

Me: "Oh ok, what is your time frame?"

John Doe: "probably like 20 minutles ill txt u wen im on my wayy"

Me: I run a few errands in the meantime. Thirty five minutes go by and I haven't heard from him. I call John's number but he does not pick up so I then send him a text asking if he's still planning on coming out.

John Doe: "i can be there at 2:30"

Me: I drive home which is only a few minutes away from the Whole Foods.

Me: I drive back to the Whole Foods at 2:30 PM and John Doe is there.

John Doe: "How much are you asking for it?"

Me: "Uh, $50 as it states in the ad."

John Doe: "Will you take $40?"

Me: "No, as I mentioned before and also stated in the ad, the price is $50, firm."

John Doe: "Ok, well I only brought $45."

Me: "Well, there's an ATM just right down the street at the local strip mall."

John Doe: "Ok, I'll be back in 10 minutes."

John Doe:
John returns shortly later and states "Do you have change for a $20? "I have three $20's, sorry."

Me: After dealing with this type of thing in the past, I'll typically try and carry some change for this exact reason. Of course bringing exact change on John's part would have been out of the question or asking beforehand if I will have change for "x" amount either.

So there you have it. Rather than going on a rant about about 'Craigslist people', I think that pretty much sums it up and speaks for itself.
That type of scenario, more or less, is typically the same type of transaction that I always have when I sell anything on CL which is not that often. I think I would go crazy if I tried to making a living from selling things on there.

I've got other stories about selling vehicles on there but those can wait for another day.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:42 PM
mpwbw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought one and only one thing on Craigslist, and I never sell anything. Surprisingly, the transaction went well.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:01 AM
High Cetane
Senior User
I think both "Typical" and "Craigslist" should not be used in the same sentence.
I've given up a few times, had my time wasted as both a seller & buyer, but then planets align, a deal is made, and I'm willing to try again. (Sold my daughter's 250 ATV to a card-carrying Republican a few weeks back, picked up a 350 last Monday on a deal.)
The dead giveaway (always) is the use of Proper English & its comprehension.
If you write a grammatically correct Sales ad, letting the dregs know not to respond without a phone number, it cuts the idiots down by half. Proper grammar, with good pictures & a detailed description, always attracts better clientele. Especially, if you are not selling junk.
If their response is that of a uneducated moron, delete and move on. If the info they seek is in your ad, delete & move on. If they want to make an offer on something they've never seen, remember-dont deal with idiots. They will beat you down.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
Daniel Cook of Williamstown, New Jersey traveled to Philadelphia in order to purchase an ATV advertised on Craigslist. When he arrived with his friends, the seller of the vehicle, Thomas Coffee, lured him away and shot him to death. Coffee was eventually arrested and charged with Cook’s murder.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:16 AM
High Cetane
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tony_TAT2
Daniel Cook of Williamstown, New Jersey traveled to Philadelphia in order to purchase an ATV advertised on Craigslist. When he arrived with his friends, the seller of the vehicle, Thomas Coffee, lured him away and shot him to death. Coffee was eventually arrested and charged with Cook’s murder.
If your point is: ATV deals on a Philly street is a bad idea at 11pm, well then, I agree.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:57 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
i really like getting this response to an add for the sale of an old tool: hi, i just read your ad ans have to say i am sorry to hear you are down on your luck and have to sell your belongings.
i am really not in the market for a tea kettle at this time, but you sound like a very interesting person. would you like to meet up for coffee, and maybe something more?

or the ever classic: hi i am very intrested in your item. i want to take possession at once. plese send me your bank account information and i will deposit the full amount at once.
or the other classic: i want to buy. please send billing info so i can send a checque.
i will add $5000 to the total, and when my shipping agent gets there to pick up item, you can give him the ballance as his payment.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:30 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
but you sound like a very interesting person. would you like to meet up for coffee, and maybe something more?

plese send me your bank account information and i will deposit the full amount at once.
or the other classic: i want to buy. please send billing info so i can send a checque.
i will add $5000 to the total, and when my shipping agent gets there to pick up item, you can give him the ballance as his payment.
Maybe they think you have something in common, or that you're a pushover when your CL location is the Marlboro Hospital.

Didnt they close that? I moved away from Monmouth County a few years back, (Freehold born & raised first 30 years) so my current events are not so current.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:59 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
most of it is gone. there are still a few buildings standing though. it is being turned into a park.
but i can't tell you where i am, i don't want the nice men in the white suits and hug me jackets finding me.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:20 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
but i can't tell you where i am, i don't want the nice men in the white suits and hug me jackets finding me.
Put that in your CL ad.....

Old 12-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I put it in my signature-

Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
wow, i have been quoted in a signature!!!

i am not sure if i should feel honored, or run out and play in traffic!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
FWIW here's how I deal with Craig's List and its moron legions......when selling anyway.

-List item complete with photos and full description that I'd want to know--answering questions before they arise. Also list my city.

-State clearly without any doubt the price is the price---NO HAGGLING what so ever. I add "not playing let's make a deal!!"

-Disable email option, clearly state phone calls ONLY, no text messaging etc.

During inquiries I'm able to quickly get a feel for who I'm dealing with and direct the conversation accordingly. If I'm unsure of them in any way I'll thank them for the call but say this item isn't for them.

-Attempts to set up a look-see appointment are sorted out by asking "when do you intend to visit?" Whatever their schedule I tell them to call an hour or so before their anticipated arrival. If they're of that "oh, it'll be a day or two..." they're told again to call beforehand, that I'm usually able to be available at their convenience. No address is EVER revealed until I'm home at the appointment time.

-They're also reminded the price is the price, IF they show up and start the BS I'll say no---saving them the trip.

-If during their visit they start the price haggling BS they're reminded its not a negotiation, they can pay the price or not, I'm good either way.

-They are NEVER admitted inside the house.

While these conversations are polite they're also hard set and I don't back away from my price simply because I know what the item is worth and know the tire kicker is also aware of new cost.

All this has served me well during those times I've tried selling stuff through CL. I've found and bought far more stuff than I've ever sold and that's okay with me. Its a great site for that but not so much selling, not with my approach anyway.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I have had pretty good luck both buying and selling on craigslist. I have had a few no shows, but i doubled my money on some parts trucks and bought a bunch of good parts for great deals.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:31 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've both bought and sold on CL. Many good transactions both ways, and enough experience at it by now that I can pretty much weed out the idiots and time wasters from their first response to my ad. About to leave the house to drive 90 minutes to meet up with a guy buying some wheels and tires from me, but we set this up last week and have been in contact by text and phone several times, and I've got a good feeling about him so I'm not concerned. Turns out in conversations that he's also bought parts from a friend of mine. I've even met a few people from CL dealings that have become good friends and customers. But I've had my share of idiots too.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
I have bought and sold on CL...

When Buying I email them my phone number to call me so I can ask questions directly..

When selling I take good pictures and try to answer all questions in the description..
I usually put a higher price because they will always try and ask for less.. I have actual received more than my bottom price on occasion doing that..

I only receive emails when selling so i can weed out who I want to reply to... Once they are ready to come over and have set an appointment. I then give them the address and phone number..

The last thing I sold was my 24' Car hauler.. We agreed on a price and it took a few days for him to get the money..

On the day he is coming to pick it up the guy comes without a trailer receiver and ball... Even though I told him what size he would need 4 days earlier..
He bought one locally... Step one done..

Next he doesn't come down with a license plate.. Not even an expired one..

He doesn't have a pin to lock the ball latch.. I give him a coat hanger...

To top it off he tells me he is using it to move to Georgia and doesn't plan on registering the trailer.. He will take his chances without a plate...

They walk among us and worse than that they are driving vehicles..

Quick Reply: A Typical Craigslist Transaction Scenario