Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 psd. problems 911 please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:23 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f350hammer
OK so I'm trying to pull the glowplugs but it's not working. IV got a 10mm thin wall deep socket. I pull the plug and I can easily get the socket over the glow plug but it's not going on the head of the bolt/nut. It just goes over onto the plug and spins. It never bits or drops down any more.

Any advice?
With a good 1/4 deep 10mm socket you shouldn't have a problem if you are using a 3/8 drive 10mm deep maybe it is hitting the rocker arm to keep it from going on. Ckeck the inside of socket and make sure it truely is deep enough. Honestly I don't see a reason you should have a problem. The past couple of days I have been replacing my GP's in my spare time and haven't had a problem. I have a GP in my hand right now and the top of glow plug to bottom of the nut part is 1 3/16" inches. I use a SnapON 1/4" 10mm deep on glow plugs so I can't speak for other sockets.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:33 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
With a good 1/4 deep 10mm socket you shouldn't have a problem if you are using a 3/8 drive 10mm deep maybe it is hitting the rocker arm to keep it from going on. Ckeck the inside of socket and make sure it truely is deep enough. Honestly I don't see a reason you should have a problem. The past couple of days I have been replacing my GP's in my spare time and haven't had a problem. I have a GP in my hand right now and the top of glow plug to bottom of the nut part is 1 3/16" inches. I use a SnapON 1/4" 10mm deep on glow plugs so I can't speak for other sockets.
Thank you sir! I got it. Just was to timid with it.

Big update! I got her running.
It took forever cranking.
When she finally fired she smoked and miss fired like crazy - after 10 mins of idle she was a lot cleaner but still rough when revving. After a few restarts and plugging the icp back her she was smooth as could be. ... still has a spot wear she hangs around 2700rpms and blows some bluish smoke and then continues to rev up!
differently running better and cleaner. Has some light smoke when idling but like I said it differently getting better.

Thanks guys! Yal rock!

Old 12-19-2014, 05:17 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
you check the tin nut on the ipr?

Old 12-19-2014, 10:49 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
you check the tin nut on the ipr?
No way? Did not know of a nut?

She is running perfect now. Man this thing has a nice clean crisp sound to it. Love the way it idles. I can tell a huge difference between this one and my old 97psd. Just by sound alone this one was seems more peepy. This one has 119k and my old one had 258k. Maybe it is milage that make the engine seem so much better in this one. It sure kicks butt tho. Thanks guys.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:24 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
That accident may have been the most fortunate thing to happen to you all week.

Karma seems to come around. You did the other driver a big favor, and you actually came out ahead. Sell the good stuff off the Mustang and call it a day.

Pop

Old 12-20-2014, 06:01 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
That accident may have been the most fortunate thing to happen to you all week.

Karma seems to come around. You did the other driver a big favor, and you actually came out ahead. Sell the good stuff off the Mustang and call it a day.

Pop
Thank you sir! That is what I was planning to do.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Hey guys. I noticed the truck was low on oil. It took two gallons to fill it back up. Hoping I did not hurt it any.

OK so a few questions I have.

Is it normal for these trucks to have more of a knocking sound when cold? Especially when you give it gas? Once it warms it sounds great - nice clean crisp revs.

Next question.

I add the oil and went for a drive - drove awesomely!
I may have drove 3 miles max. Got back and checked the oil and had to add more! About a half a gallon. I haven't noticed anymore loss but haven't drove it since - no insurance yet!
I did not see any major leaks - I seen a drip possibly coming from the rear main? But nothing close to a half a gallon! Also I noticed smoking coming right around the turbo - not sure if this has anything to do with it but - after I drove it a Lil bit - it had some bluish smoke coming from the stack. Shut it down and came back and fired it up and no more smoke. I failed to drain the fuel blow so maybe it still had oil in it. Idk. Any clue How I lost a half a gallon in 3 miles or less and no drips or anything? Any clue on the smoking around the turbo?

There are no metal flacks in the oil or anything like that.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:38 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Damn, Is this your first car ? That's a lot of oil to add.

Knocking is normal when cold, that's your injectors.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
It's possible you're still filling the air in the rails, but I doubt it. Oil leak by the turbo? That could be a bad journal bearing in the turbo, which would make the truck smoke and lose oil. You may need to pull the turbo and inspect/rebuild it, but make sure you have fresh pedestal O-rings on hand before you pull it. If the turbo checks out OK, you still need fresh O-rings in the pedestal. Riffraffdiesel.com

Old 12-20-2014, 08:32 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/garret...g-rebuild-kit/

So this is not enough? I need to rebuild mine as it leaks oil into the valley.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Also.

Ebay rebuild kit is $40.
Rifraff's is double
Dieselsite's is triple.

Why and which one would you get?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Your leak isn't the rear main. Check the top of the motor and see how much oil you have pooled up there. Most of the oil leaks on the 7.3 start up top and drip or spray into the valley of the motor and then drip down the back side to look like a rear main leak.

Don't rebuild the turbo yet. Find the leak first. If you're burning a half gallon of oil in 3 miles through the turbo, you'd see smoke or signs of oil in the tail pipe.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:11 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Your leak isn't the rear main. Check the top of the motor and see how much oil you have pooled up there. Most of the oil leaks on the 7.3 start up top and drip or spray into the valley of the motor and then drip down the back side to look like a rear main leak. Don't rebuild the turbo yet. Find the leak first. If you're burning a half gallon of oil in 3 miles through the turbo, you'd see smoke or signs of oil in the tail pipe.

I'm not burning oil, it's just dripping underneath.

Are you saying there is no way for turbo to leak oil without burning it? My Y-pipe is caked in oil.

Also, I have another turbo issue I need to resolve:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rbo-surge.html

And yes, I do have oil in the valley.
How do you even go about looking for a rear main leak?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:15 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
I see. It wasn't intended for me

Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
It's possible you're still filling the air in the rails, but I doubt it. Oil leak by the turbo? That could be a bad journal bearing in the turbo, which would make the truck smoke and lose oil. You may need to pull the turbo and inspect/rebuild it, but make sure you have fresh pedestal O-rings on hand before you pull it. If the turbo checks out OK, you still need fresh O-rings in the pedestal. Riffraffdiesel.com
Thank you for the info sir. I'll test drive and see if it does it again.

Any way to know for sure?

The turbo is new and was professional installed.

It's really loud when driving. Sounds awesome.

It did not start the blue smoking until I drove it. The more I got into it the more it smoked - not bad but the difference was noticeable. Did not seem to be down on power. When I pulled into the driveway and parked. It continued to light puff blue smoke - was gone after restart.

Quick Reply: 99 psd. problems 911 please help