Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 psd. problems 911 please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
  1. When the truck is sitting for a long time in idle, it is programmed to raise the RPMs to reduce the potential for cylinder wash-down, and to aid with emissions.
  2. The EBPV is a separate command from the PCM. It comes on under a very specific set of circumstances, and it won't come on at all once the Engine Oil Temperature reaches about 150 degrees F. If you had one, you'd jump onto the forum to make a "What's that jet engine sound?" thread. If I didn't have an EBPV, but know what I know (in my driving conditions) - that would be on my shopping list. Your results may vary.
  3. An OBDII scan tool/gauge is a hot product right now, with everybody jumping into the fray - even the hacks. That warrants a whole sub-list.

OBDII scan tool/gauge suggestions - this depends on what tech you own. I'm an ubergeek, so I have a 17" i7 laptop, a 10" netbook, a 7" Android, and an iPhone. They all have the capability to communicate with the truck (with the right OBDII interface) - but here are my opinions:
  • iOS has no app that I like for our Jurassic trucks. I scratched that one off my list early, but things can change.
  • Android has our friend Ian - the guy who wrote and is constantly improving Torque Pro. I can monitor all kinds of good things while driving, and when it's in the cab - the Android is not an overly-obtrusive oracle of oil.
  • When it's time to solve the mysteries of the strokerverse, AutoEnginuity (AE) has a lot of power for the price - and it's easy to update (until the car makers change the OBDII again). I have this on my netbook and my i7, but it works just as well on the Lil' Red Slug (netbook with an Atom processor) - so it doesn't take a big computer to run this.

More on the laptop: Because my netbook uses so little power, I have a 50W ungrounded inverter (make note of that) in the cigarette lighter that will charge the "Carputer" while connected to the truck and driving. The carputer has the GPS software, email for the road, AE, all my truck documentation and service literature scraped from the net, a game for my wife, my tuner interface, ISSPRO gauge programmer, and some tech in the bag - like a tiny IR thermometer.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
  1. When the truck is sitting for a long time in idle, it is programmed to raise the RPMs to reduce the potential for cylinder wash-down, and to aid with emissions.
  2. The EBPV is a separate command from the PCM. It comes on under a very specific set of circumstances, and it won't come on at all once the Engine Oil Temperature reaches about 150 degrees F. If you had one, you'd jump onto the forum to make a "What's that jet engine sound?" thread. If I didn't have an EBPV, but know what I know (in my driving conditions) - that would be on my shopping list. Your results may vary.
  3. An OBDII scan tool/gauge is a hot product right now, with everybody jumping into the fray - even the hacks. That warrants a whole sub-list.

OBDII scan tool/gauge suggestions - this depends on what tech you own. I'm an ubergeek, so I have a 17" i7 laptop, a 10" netbook, a 7" Android, and an iPhone. They all have the capability to communicate with the truck (with the right OBDII interface) - but here are my opinions:
  • iOS has no app that I like for our Jurassic trucks. I scratched that one off my list early, but things can change.
  • Android has our friend Ian - the guy who wrote and is constantly improving Torque Pro. I can monitor all kinds of good things while driving, and when it's in the cab - the Android is not an overly-obtrusive oracle of oil.
  • When it's time to solve the mysteries of the strokerverse, AutoEnginuity (AE) has a lot of power for the price - and it's easy to update (until the car makers change the OBDII again). I have this on my netbook and my i7, but it works just as well on the Lil' Red Slug (netbook with an Atom processor) - so it doesn't take a big computer to run this.

More on the laptop: Because my netbook uses so little power, I have a 50W ungrounded inverter (make note of that) in the cigarette lighter that will charge the "Carputer" while connected to the truck and driving. The carputer has the GPS software, email for the road, AE, all my truck documentation and service literature scraped from the net, a game for my wife, my tuner interface, ISSPRO gauge programmer, and some tech in the bag - like a tiny IR thermometer.

And with that info sir you are my new best friend......
absolutely love your in cab set up.

Let me tell you wear I'm trying to get with this truck.....
now keep in mind I'm a broke Lil county boy but I'm very good at finding deals.....
I build desktops - high end gaming rigs so computing is nothing new to me..... I don't really like laptops - main reason is they are hard to get under control as far as heat goes [mainly in there older age] cooling ports get plugged up and dust and dirt are hardwares worst enemy next to water..... However some of the tables seem to be disproving this and life expectancy have gotten better. I'm one of those that feel like if I spend a few 100$ on something it should last 1 year or more.... per 100$ = 1 year. So If I spend 500 it should last 5 - life expectancy and should not be rendered useless in 2 year because of software....... With technology moving the way it is - this is hard to do.
I can build a very high end gaming rig for half the price you pay at Walmart - double the power and triple the warrantys.
Here is what I want.......
I want something [ good size ] I would say 10ich or bigger. Something that i will be able to plug in a portable storage device to. Watch dvds and play some light games.

Mostly...
I wanna be able to access the net [ google] for forums and such] of corse I'll need wifi or such. - think I can handle this!

Mainly - I wanna be able to view the trucks codes and live data.... I would like to know everything possible about the truck with out much effort. ...

I plain on turning this truck into a transport truck - hauling cars and such across the states.... that being said - I would like [technology] wise some good stuff. I actually like your tablet there. I think that would be perfect as is. Does it come any bigger and what price? Thank you sir!

Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 PM
f350hammer
Senior User

Question - I so soo sooo want to evbp on a switch - to help with warm up and for the exhaust brake..... tried to make it work in my 97 that was auto [e4od] I managed to do the tq lock up mod and all that but when I got to the evbp it just never worked - the solenoid was bad or something...... When I got this one - that is a 6 speed [I have always wanted] I thought it would be perfect. But the plug on the turbo Is broke off flush with the turbo..... is there a way to fix it? Or am I stuck getting a new turbo?

Thanks bud. Your info was awesome!

Old 12-28-2014, 02:30 PM
f350hammer
Senior User

IV got a galaxy note 2.... android.
So all I need is the plug - 11.99 in the link you posted and the software 5$ according to Google play store?
this would be so awesome. Anyone wanna buy a actron cp9180? Lol

Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Not to complain, but you may want to edit my pictures out of a couple of your posts. This will reduce scroll fatigue for those with mobile devices. We wouldn't want anybody coming after you with Carpal Tunnel claims.

I have a Nexus 7 2013 (under $200, with shipping), and I am stunned at how powerful that bugger is. It's like it's all graphics processor through and through. When it comes to "screaming" videos from the net, this is the unit. My i7 (8G RAM) might be bogged down with security, utilitarian, and remoting software - but whatever the reason, it's not ideal. I remember first hitting YouTube with the Nexus 7, it was a shocker - it even has WiDi. Bring a WiDi receiver (adapts to HDMI) with you and hook it up to the hotel room TV - bada-boom, real estate.

While ASUS did an excellent job with the newest version of the Nexus 7, HTC is making the Nexus 9 - I haven't checked the status on that for the last few weeks. The HTC may get expensive, but it would be ideal for utility in the cab and for simple gaming.

You may notice I keep bringing up newer units. There was a breakthrough in these tablets within the last year. I hated everything I saw until the very latest units came out. It's like somebody in a boardroom said to the engineers "See that device processor speed on the graph? That's a visual representation of your bonus pay level. They are tied together. What are you going to do about this?" I've had lots of people with older tablets watch mine in action, with the OMFG response. The Nexus 7 was the first unit to be sold with Kit Kat, and it is on the top of the list (with the HTC Nexus 9 and a few other units) for Lollipop.

As for the stand under the tablet, that was made by Arkon. It's a Slimgrip with an 18" leg, and it can take up to a 10" tablet. [LINK]

A proper OBDII adapter with factory warranty, technical support, firmware updates, and just that overall look, feel, and behavior of quality - that's about a Benjamin (Sir Robert to our friends in the North). Or... what we here on FTE loosely refer to as a Buck$Zooka round.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:22 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Not to complain, but you may want to edit my pictures out of a couple of your posts. This will reduce scroll fatigue for those with mobile devices. We wouldn't want anybody coming after you with Carpal Tunnel claims.

I have a Nexus 7 2013 (under $200, with shipping), and I am stunned at how powerful that bugger is. It's like it's all graphics processor through and through. When it comes to "screaming" videos from the net, this is the unit. My i7 (8G RAM) might be bogged down with security, utilitarian, and remoting software - but whatever the reason, it's not ideal. I remember

While ASUS did an excellent job with the newest version of the Nexus 7, HTC is making the Nexus 9 - I haven't checked the status on that for the last few weeks. The HTC may get expensive, but it would be ideal for utility in the cab and for simple gaming.

You may notice I keep bringing up newer units. There was a breakthrough in these tablets within the last year. I hated everything I saw until the very latest units came out. It's like somebody in a boardroom said to the engineers "See that device processor speed on the graph? That's a visual representation of your bonus pay level. They are tied together. What are you going to do about this?" I've had lots of people with older tablets watch mine in action, with the OMFG response. The Nexus 7 was the first unit to be sold with Kit Kat, and it is on the top of the list (with the HTC Nexus 9 and a few other units)
Thank you for the info. I'm gonna look at grabbing a Nexus!
So this device -http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRWD9WS?tag=viglink20366-20

With torque pro from Google play store on my galaxy note 2. And I can read codes and such from my truck and get the gauges?

I wanna grab wanna grab one of these like you suggested -http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com//p-5133-autoenginuity-scan-tool-sp01sp03sp05sp06sp07.aspx?gclid=COXm1J-x6sICFW4V7AoduV4Aiw

Thanks bud..... I tried editing the post to remove the pics but I can no longer do so...... maybe a admin would be willing to?

Old 12-29-2014, 03:01 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
update on the sound

Got to talk to the po today..... He said the sound I'm hearing from the right front is the down pipe coming off the turbo - it's a 4icher and is rubbing the fire wall! Mystery solved there.....
now back to the other issues.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
This is what I bought: [LINK]

If I used iOS, I'd get this (I may anyway, for the Prius): [LINK]

Here's my source for AE (with Ford bundle): [LINK]

Here's Torque Pro in action:

Old 12-30-2014, 12:18 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
I'm kinda lost on something...... If torque pro can read the psd codes why go after the AutoEnginuity.... what is the difference between the two? Still for what you posted about the AutoEnginuity and price - it seems pretty awesome.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
AE can access the different modules in the truck, conduct tests, and it can even adjust the tire size for your speedo/odo. The first video I posted shows AE doing a buzz test. To my knowledge, Torque can't do that (yet). I do know an app that can conduct a buzz test (Car Gauge Pro), but my results were not the same as with AE.

I can only speculate how this all works, but my experiences hint that the apps scan or "hack" their way into the shopping list of PIDs available. It's my understanding AE "subscribes" to whatever it is that's needed to get a list of PIDs and commands from anything with an OBDII port. They paid a lot of money for that subscription, they wrote software to work specifically with the features available, and there are some safety protocols (for the engine) in place.

Compare that with an app that goes "Ooo... looky what I found. Let's see what it does." I tried the buzz test on Car Gauge Pro, and it put my truck into some funky mode that wouldn't clear. I had to hook AE up and conduct a KOEO test through that software to clear up whatever happened. There may (or may not) be some kind of pre or post-procedure that must be conducted with tests, and a scan/hack may not yield this secret. That's where "bundles" come in - I have the Ford bundle for AE. The subscription to the list of OBDII secrets from the manufacturers will give an edge over the $5 apps.

More evidence of scanning vs. subscribing: Some PIDs are easy to set up, while others have to be programmed by the user. Through the collective work of the internet, many of these PIDs have been discovered, programmed, and fine-tuned. This very forum has possibly the largest collection of 7.3L PIDs for Torque on the whole internet - I know I found limited info until I posted what I could here, and a few of us started slowly filling in the jigsaw. Even with all that collaboration, AE still has way more PIDs to monitor and test. I use AE for troubleshooting, and Torque Pro for daily gauges. Here's the Ironic part: I use AE to assist with and verify discoveries/settings on Torque Pro.

Pulling codes: Every time I see somebody pull a code, the information is so general that it rarely leads directly to a fix. What a DTC does do is give you one answer in a game of twenty questions. You still have questions left over that need answering before you can deduct correctly with certainty. This is where the AE (or other professional scan tool) on-board tests and long list of PIDs step up. Scan gauges put a scope on your Buck$Zooka, as do scan tools - but the scan tools put varying zooms on the scope, for better targeting.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by f350hammer
I'm kinda lost on something...... If torque pro can read the psd codes why go after the AutoEnginuity.... what is the difference between the two? Still for what you posted about the AutoEnginuity and price - it seems pretty awesome.
if you want a "gauge' route....

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor Ford Order

Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I have 6 gauges on screen 1 (of 3 screens) of my Torque Pro - and they are all set to log data. For the price, the old-style scan gauges don't have enough capability. Besides, I only need glance at the gauge I'm curious about (or maybe flick and glance). The steam-punk scan gauges with the push buttons would have you sending a request for info via Morse code.

Just a thought.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by xghjxhfjh
Sounds like injector o rings too me. Check the fuel filter and if it is black I would say pull the injector replace the orings and inspect the injector cups for cracks....
One way to possibly detect this without yanking sticks is to check the IPR/ICP/FIPW behavior with a scan gauge/tool. The other way is to conduct a "Cody test", which is searchable on the forum.