1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From a 6.2 to a 6.7....... Just my first thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a 6.2 to a 6.7....... Just my first thoughts.

Just wanted to state my thoughts for the guys that have a gasser and are thinking of going to a diesel. I searched and read a lot before I traded up and I thought this may help some guys that are thinking the same.

To start off I bought a 2012 CC 4x4 with a 6.2 brand new in December of '12. This was my first Ford truck as I have always owned GM trucks. I have always liked the Fords but I just always stuck with GM trucks cause everyone else in my family had them.

Anyway I had my eye on the 6.4 when it came out, I couldn't swing the price tag so I waited. Then when the 6.7 came out I was drooling after a test drive. Again my pocket would not allow it....... My 2006 Denali was getting up there in milage and I still owed 3 years on it. Dealer near me made me a great offer for trade in on the 2012 Lariat with the 6.2 although I really wanted the diesel I did love the truck and the 6.2 felt great!

I don't pull heavy my trailer is maybe 9,500 pounds loaded with tools and my car. The 6.2 did great pulled it no problems but you knew the trailer was there. I do fell the gas engine is probably better for my needs as I don't drive the truck everyday..... It sits because I have a company vehicle. I don't tow all the time either because the race tracks are not open year round.

I really felt that for my needs the gasser was better but I could not get around the "want" of the diesel.

Anyway two weeks ago I went to go look at 2015 CC 4x4 Platinum....... Over the past two years my finances have changed and I was able to drive the truck home.😁

My first impressions of the truck are great! As far as the interior it's pretty much the same feel as my other truck was a lariat. However the platinum has the pecan color leather heated steering wheel and nav. So the interior gave me the same feel which I love but I can swear the leather feels softer...... It may just be me.

The power of the truck is obvious, there is not a comparison there..... The 6.2 is a screamer but we are talking 60 more hp and over double the TQ. I did notice that the diesel rides smoother than the gasser...... Some have speculated weight difference? I'm not sure but it is a noticeable difference. I also feel that the steering is smoother as well????.

One thing I do really notice and love is that this truck can stay in 6th gear most all the time whereas I would often get in the other truck and lock out 6th until I was running over 50mph. This is obviously due to the huge TQ difference but it is a small detail that I really like. I only have 380 miles on the truck now so there really is not much time to gather info on mpg. So far the truck is avg 13 which sucks but the few miles on it have been city and stop and go traffic. However the drive home from the dealer was 2 hours and all hwy...... The instant stayed around 18.5-19 running 75 mph.my 6.2 never saw anything close to that. Running that speed in the 6.2 I would see 16 or so. I think the mpg will get better with miles but I don't really care cause this is not a commuter and the power is awesome.

Over all I am thrilled with the truck! Again I don't need the diesel it is strictly a want and I am fortunate enough to have it. If you are considering it I would say go for it if you have the means. Don't bother trying to justify it....... The diesel vs the gas thing is a huge debate...... Diesels just cost more and are more involved all the way around but to me it's worth it!

Again this is just my first thoughts hope this helps anyone that is in the same situation I was about thinking of trading up.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Stormtruck2
Freshman User
I have a 99 V-10 CC LWB 4X4 Lariet. I drove a F-450 Platinum 4X4 Thursday, and was very impressed with the engine. It has as much horsepower as the engine in my semi had in 1984. It was smooth and quiet. I was very impressed the entire package.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:32 PM
99powerstrokedF250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 353 Likes on 278 Posts
It's all about what you want and need, honestly. Some facts are hard to argue with, though; truck for truck, a diesel will get better mileage than a gasser. Partly due to gearing, but also, and more importantly, power and efficiency. Diesels are just plain more efficient.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
Congrats. I wish I could justify a new truck. Enjoy your new diesel truck. Ill enjoy my almost paid off gasser truck. Haha

Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Thanks Quadracer..... I do love my truck but an almost paid off truck is really appealing too!

I plan to hold on to this truck got s long while. I am hopeful that at some point in the future a diesel electric hybrid will he on the road and gets 30mpg!

Unless Ford does something really spectacular I will keep this truck for at least 8-10 years. I plan to try and pay it off early that way I can own the truck and it not be worn out. Fortunately I only drive it a few times a week so it does not rack up miles.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:25 AM
Anomic
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99powerstrokedF250
It's all about what you want and need, honestly. Some facts are hard to argue with, though; truck for truck, a diesel will get better mileage than a gasser. Partly due to gearing, but also, and more importantly, power and efficiency. Diesels are just plain more efficient.
Thats true but there is no way to make up for depreciation, interest, and price difference trading from a 2012 gasser to a 2015 diesel in mpg. Assuming the upgrade cost him 20k (probably alot more though) he would need to get 100mpg and run 150,000 miles to break even assuming equal maintnance/service costs.

The problem is a 6.2 will only burn around 18000$ of fuel over 100,000 miles. so a diesel option that costs 9,000$ Would need to return 25 mpg over 100,000 to break even (assuming equal maintnance and service which historicaly gassers are cheaper)

Nothing wrong with buying what you like but dont try to convince your self it is cheaper or more cost efficent.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:20 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
What rear gears did they have? When I was doing some builds on the ford website, before I got my truck, I noticed on the SRW 6.7s, the rear is limited to the 3.55s on the 4x4, and 3.31s on the 2wd. with the gasser, you can get 4.30s, but most people have the 3.73s that wrote comparisons.

I have a 2wd reg cab, 6.2, 4.30. I keep wondering how it would perform, acceleration wise, unloaded, against an identical ruck, only difference being the 6.7 with the 3.55 rear.

And how did you get 16mpg with the 6.2? I've never hit 13mpg, and I only weigh 6k, and haven't towed yet, lol.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 AM
JandC
Junior User
I posted something similar in another thread, reference a diesel being cheaper.

A year prior to retiring and going full time in my fiver I was still a contractor. I was pulling a couple of different work trailers, the heaviest of which was only about 6,000 loaded. I wanted to purchase the 6.7 in 2012, a year early.

I knew I would save by getting better MPG even with paying more for diesel. But the savings per month was only going to be $100 or less.

Then I talked to my accountant/tax guy. He told me that I could depreciate 50% of the new truck the first year! That was a no-brainer for me. The tax savings actually paid for part of my new truck.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by MadWolf
What rear gears did they have? When I was doing some builds on the ford website, before I got my truck, I noticed on the SRW 6.7s, the rear is limited to the 3.55s on the 4x4, and 3.31s on the 2wd. with the gasser, you can get 4.30s, but most people have the 3.73s that wrote comparisons. I have a 2wd reg cab, 6.2, 4.30. I keep wondering how it would perform, acceleration wise, unloaded, against an identical ruck, only difference being the 6.7 with the 3.55 rear. And how did you get 16mpg with the 6.2? I've never hit 13mpg, and I only weigh 6k, and haven't towed yet, lol.
My gasser had the 3.73's and don't get confused 16 mpg was hwy running around 75 mph. Mixed driving it would hang out around 13 mpg. When I first bought it I drove it to Florida..... If I kept it around 68 mph which seemed to be the magic number it would do 17 mpg.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by Anomic
Thats true but there is no way to make up for depreciation, interest, and price difference trading from a 2012 gasser to a 2015 diesel in mpg. Assuming the upgrade cost him 20k (probably alot more though) he would need to get 100mpg and run 150,000 miles to break even assuming equal maintnance/service costs. The problem is a 6.2 will only burn around 18000$ of fuel over 100,000 miles. so a diesel option that costs 9,000$ Would need to return 25 mpg over 100,000 to break even (assuming equal maintnance and service which historicaly gassers are cheaper) Nothing wrong with buying what you like but dont try to convince your self it is cheaper or more cost efficent.
All good points...... I was not looking to turn this into another gas vs diesel threads........ I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts coming from a 6.2 powered truck.

As I said I researched everything for a long time and worked the numbers a ton and my conclusion is........ A diesel just cost more plain and simple! You buy a diesel either cause you need it or just want it because not every 6.7 on the road is needed....... The 6.2 is a great engine and pulled my trailer no problem and it would do the same for most of what people tow. I just wanted more that's all and a diesel does appeal to me.

I personally think it is dumb to try and justify the cost of a diesel over a gasser......... You can't no matter how you look at it! A diesel = more money!!

The 6.7 is fantastic it does get better mpg than the 6.2 and the power is just awesome!

Sooooooooo if you want one and you can afford it just go buy it and don't bother crunching numbers........ It's a lot of money but it puts a smile on my face ear to ear when I drive it......... To me that's all that matters.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:35 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Oh, I see the sticker price was mentioned again, glad to see another guy pays sticker price for his trucks. I know my rebates on my truck were much more, plus my dealer could give me a better deal on top of the already higher rebates with the 6.7 vs the 6.2.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:48 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
I know my rebates on my truck were much more, plus my dealer could give me a better deal on top of the already higher rebates with the 6.7 vs the 6.2.
Not that I don't believe that to be true but can you show supporting documentation, your sales receipt.

What you're saying is that comparing two equally equipped trucks you could purchase the diesel for less than or equal to the cost of gas truck? Say two Lariats with equal features the diesel truck will be near the cost of a gas, or better, at purchase?

I'm not saying one truck is better than the other, nor do I care, and rebates do differ town to town. I just have a hard time believing a diesel truck (with an msrp of $8-$9k more) of similar model can be had for less than or equal to a gas truck of similar features. That's similar to saying you can have a Lariat for an XL price (all rebates applied for each).

Again I'm sure it can happen, especially with leftovers, and maybe did in your case but that cannot be the norm.

I'm glad you got the best deal going, if that was the case, because that would be a hell of a steal.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:44 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Not that I don't believe that to be true but can you show supporting documentation, your sales receipt.

What you're saying is that comparing two equally equipped trucks you could purchase the diesel for less than or equal to the cost of gas truck? Say two Lariats with equal features the diesel truck will be near the cost of a gas, or better, at purchase?

I'm not saying one truck is better than the other, nor do I care, and rebates do differ town to town. I just have a hard time believing a diesel truck (with an msrp of $8-$9k more) of similar model can be had for less than or equal to a gas truck of similar features. That's similar to saying you can have a Lariat for an XL price (all rebates applied for each).

Again I'm sure it can happen, especially with leftovers, and maybe did in your case but that cannot be the norm.

I'm glad you got the best deal going, if that was the case, because that would be a hell of a steal.

I would have purchased a diesel if I could have paid the same as my 6.2

Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,621 Likes on 1,643 Posts
OP, I recently did the same thing, but for different reasons. I wanted/needed a dually, and didn't want to order one for personal reasons. Could not find a DRW gas on a dealer lot anywhere. So, with that, I "settled" for a diesel. When I hooked up to my 41 ft toy hauler, I was not disappointed at all. Very impressive!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99150
OP, I recently did the same thing, but for different reasons. I wanted/needed a dually, and didn't want to order one for personal reasons. Could not find a DRW gas on a dealer lot anywhere. So, with that, I "settled" for a diesel. When I hooked up to my 41 ft toy hauler, I was not disappointed at all. Very impressive!
Yeah I just turned over 400 miles today....... A little more and I am ready to hook up to my trailer....... I am curious to feel the difference and I am sure it will be substantial

Quick Reply: From a 6.2 to a 6.7....... Just my first thoughts.