Sponsored by:

Maybe found the new truck today... time for you to pick it apart

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
For anyone else who is thoroughly confused by the discussion in this thread about the caliper odd looking thingy, here is the picture I had in the PDF file I attached. I don't think some actually opened it and looked. Question has been answered but just thought I would clear that up because all the replies even confused me and I asked the question.

I didn't even notice that shield when breezing threw the pics the first time.

I always did find it very odd that ford put a caliper on opposite sides of the rear axle in the early years.

Really the only reason I can see for it is because they only had one caliper with the bleeder only on one end. But really what was the big deal of just drilling and taping the hole on the opposite side? I would think it would be more of a hassle to jig up and mount one caliper mount on the opposite side of the axle than the other? It doesn't make a single bit of sense what so ever.

I always thought 90's chevy trucks were weird because they had one rear axle shock in front of the axle and one behind. Looks dumb as hell.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:42 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

I always thought 90's chevy trucks were weird because they had one rear axle shock in front of the axle and one behind. Looks dumb as hell.
Don't FORD's do that now as well?

Old 12-14-2014, 09:44 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
But that "yes" is contingent on the age of the vehicle. OASIS only keeps the records of the last 10 model years. So, since it's 2014, OASIS will only go back to a 2004 model year vehicle. Next year (2015) they will only go back to the 2005 model year.

Obviously there will be a little overlap, but 10 years is how far back OASIS goes.

Stewart

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I am so glad I got all the info I could when I first got my X and saved it all.

I had my OASIS on the '01 run in '13.

If you have one of these vehicles go get your OASIS and file it, it would help you when trying to sell it (if so inclined).

Old 12-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
Don't FORD's do that now as well?

I believe they do...

Old 12-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Rscottc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll see more rust here on the east coast than you will on the west coast. A lot of car restorers rather have a car from out west than here on the east side. Were used to it. I definitely will not post a pic of the under side of mine if you think the rust is bad on this one.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 AM
MK2Pierce
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
For anyone else who is thoroughly confused by the discussion in this thread about the caliper odd looking thingy, here is the picture I had in the PDF file I attached. I don't think some actually opened it and looked. Question has been answered but just thought I would clear that up because all the replies even confused me and I asked the question.
I've been saying what it was since the second page of this thread.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
So we buying this thing or what? I need to call USAA today and get them to mail the check if so...Stewart, Mecdac, ExxWhy, Matt, Christina, Snow, Freaking LivingLarge where you at!.... What's the deal guys.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Apoc, I agree that you should not settle. Just keep looking for the one you WANT, not one that will do.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:04 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think it over, then ask yourself what you gut instinct is telling you. You are the one who has driven it, so ultimately, you are the best informed to make the decision for you.

HOWEVER, If you have any doubt, any doubt what so ever, then pass it up and keep hunting!

This is something you should not settle on. There are always other Excursions out there.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:05 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My vote it no. Pass and we keep looking. From a selfish point of view.....if Michael capitulates I will have an excuse to learn how diesel engines work.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:14 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
I agree the red one looks OK for the price considering it's not been very well looked after. However in my opinion I would hold out and continue looking for a later model with less miles that is a little nicer than that, I'm sure the one I'm describing will cost more but for a "lifetime" vehicle it would be worth it. I looked at a bunch of EXs before I found one that was just several steps higher on the Sweet-O-Meter than the herd, it cost more like it should have but it was worth it to me as I intend to keep it around for a while.
Is a "lifetime" truck worth some extra cost to start off with less wear and tear to you? It was to me but our situations are different.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:25 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
So we buying this thing or what? I need to call USAA today and get them to mail the check if so...Stewart, mecdac, ExxWhy, Matt, Christina, Snow, Freaking LivingLarge where you at!.... What's the deal guys.

Since he is inflexible on price I would keep looking.

Keep looking, if you find something better that's a big plus. If he sells it while you are looking for something better, then it wasn't meant to be. You aren't in a situation of "have to" because you extra vehicles.

"Patience my little weedhopper."

Old 12-14-2014, 04:46 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Going from the pics I'll give you the green light! It looks and sounds like everything is in order. The rust to me looks like just surface rust. Nothing that a little clean up and some POR15 rust converter wouldn't fix. I've seen way worse than what is in those pics. Everything else is maintenance items. The defrost issue you mentioned is probably just a split open ESOF actuator on the RF fender. Mine did the same thing a few years ago. A new one fixed it.
$4k sounds like a good price for it. And for something in fairly decent shape that cannot be purchase anymore as new from Ford, is hard to find.
To be honest I don't feel the difference between the V-10 and diesel is enough to justify. The V-10 when coupled with 4.30's or lower is just as good as a diesel and not noisy, plus the maintenance and cost of diesel is less. That is where your wife will love it! And your neighbors will appreciate no loud 7.3 idling away in the a.m.!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
JuanHuevos has 2 carfax reports that are going to expire on the 18th. He offered to use one on the truck (and the other as well if I wanted, but I don't see me looking for another for awhile), so I think I'll see what it says. If it's clean I'll think about it a bit more. If not I'll try to get the price down more and just skip it if I can't get a better deal. Honestly as much as I want a new rig I'm thinking I'm going to have to pass on this one. If I do this I'm going to start looking for a 6.0 from a dealer though. I think that will be a better option for me since they can finance more and I can get a nicer truck.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Good news and bad news. The good is it looks like a clean (ish) report. The bad is I personally can't see it. It's an XPS document and I'm on a mac so I can't open the damn file. Anyone in here (USCG_PA) that I can email it to and you post it up for me?

Quick Reply: Maybe found the new truck today... time for you to pick it apart