Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ways... can you pull codes (Toni Braxton STAY OUT)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
How many ways... can you pull codes (Toni Braxton STAY OUT)

***I'm keeping this vague so it can be more help to the forum than just me***

Ok, I'm going to look at the red truck tomorrow and would like to know how many different ways there are to pull CEL codes/saved and stored codes. I would like to compile a list from the most basic of entering the actual Morse code from the CEL to the Ford code pullers in the shop. I'm personally asking because I have the ELM unit (Thanks ExxWhy!), a crappy $100 code reader from Vato-zone that's about 5 years old and an SCT tuner. Obviously 2 of those 3 will do the job, but what about the scanner? Should I bring it along? Since it's married to my truck will it do nothing on his? Will there be any benefit to bringing the scangauge AND the ELM unit? Should I just put the scangauge up in the free section or keep it in my "Rescue bag". What if anything should I really really be looking for? I would like to see a good list of things that I can re-write and make into a "How-to" of sorts that can be put into a sticky

Things I have already:
ELM unit and iPhone 5c running Dash Command
2 hands
Scan Gauge orange plastic block with 5 buttons 5000 modelXL turbo 3series
Some feet
SCT tuner (might not be relevant)
My ears to hear stuff with and say "Hey, this sounds like a diesel but it's a v-10... that thing's knocking like crazy. I'll pass!"

Thoughts guys?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Really? No one has anything to add? Was it the Toni Braxton reference?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm too dumb to figure out the Braxton reference....

Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience your ELM27 + Dashcommand should pull all the information you need with a CEL.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:51 AM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When buying a vehicle I always pull the codes and check the readiness monitors. I have come across several vehicles that have no check engine light but when I check the readiness monitors, none are complete. That indicates that the owner reset the codes recently and has not driven enough to trigger a check engine light for a given drive cycle.

Some vehicles will always have some readiness monitors incomplete, so don't just run away if you see one that is incomplete. Make sure catalyst and evap is done and you are usually good to go.

ELM and DashCommand should be good enough for what you want. That is typically what I use since it is compact and easy. It is a pretty basic truck so there isn't much to look at electronically.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Just got back and used just the ELM and damn that thing is good! I forgot how much I love that thing!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:02 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Just got back and used just the ELM and damn that thing is good! I forgot how much I love that thing!
Can you post a pic of what your ELM looks like?

I just got a bluetooth one a couple weeks ago and can't get it to communicate with the truck.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:41 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sessland
Can you post a pic of what your ELM looks like?

I just got a bluetooth one a couple weeks ago and can't get it to communicate with the truck.
What model did you buy?

This is what I use and it works great with the Torque app.

RioRand(TM) Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter TORQUE ANDROID: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories RioRand(TM) Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter TORQUE ANDROID: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Originally Posted by nmclella
What model did you buy?

This is what I use and it works great with the Torque app.

RioRand(TM) Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter TORQUE ANDROID: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories
I bought it on ebay and the housing looks exactly the same as the one above.

I'd post a pic but I can't seem to find the thing anywhere right now.

From what I've read online it seems to be very hit and miss with those elm adapters as to which car they'll work with 100%.

Thanks for the link, I might buy this one and see what happens.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Mine was a gift from ExxWhy about a year ago. IIRC it was from amazon. Mine works on both my Highlander and my X perfectly.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Looks like that's dead in the water.

Amazon only caters to the elite, people with credit...

I couldn't find it anywhere else online. If anyone comes across a paypal friendly website please let me know.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sessland
Looks like that's dead in the water. Amazon only caters to the elite, people with credit... I couldn't find it anywhere else online. If anyone comes across a paypal friendly website please let me know.
You can use a Paypal debit card linked directly and exclusively to your PP account... Amazon doesn't allow PP directly as its a former subsidiary of eBay, Amazon's biggest competitor. You can also check with the seller directly and see if they'll accept payment that way, it's worked for me in the past quite well.

On topic, Apoc how do you like your ScanGauge? Looking to pick up the SCII this week or next and am curious as to its performance. I know Razzi loves his SGII, reviews seem quite good as well. I just want something to monitor other parameters without having to throw more gauges and pods in the truck.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
This is what mine looks like. Personally it sucks for anything other than loading tunes

Old 12-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
You can use a Paypal debit card linked directly and exclusively to your PP account... Amazon doesn't allow PP directly as its a former subsidiary of eBay, Amazon's biggest competitor. You can also check with the seller directly and see if they'll accept payment that way, it's worked for me in the past quite well.

On topic, Apoc how do you like your ScanGauge? Looking to pick up the SCII this week or next and am curious as to its performance. I know Razzi loves his SGII, reviews seem quite good as well. I just want something to monitor other parameters without having to throw more gauges and pods in the truck.
You could also get a prepaid visa card with the amount needed for purchase.

SG2 with X guage- I received mine for Christmas and it works great. It runs 4 gauges at a time and can cycle through the others loaded on the fly. I have been using RPM, Trans temp, IAT's and water temp. Everything looks in range or where it should be. I had the voltage gauge on before the trans temp as the code for trans temp has to be loaded. That's also fairly simple with using there website which displays the codes needed and the book with fairly simple instructions.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:18 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
You could also get a prepaid visa card with the amount needed for purchase. SG2 with X guage- I received mine for Christmas and it works great. It runs 4 gauges at a time and can cycle through the others loaded on the fly. I have been using RPM, Trans temp, IAT's and water temp. Everything looks in range or where it should be. I had the voltage gauge on before the trans temp as the code for trans temp has to be loaded. That's also fairly simple with using there website which displays the codes needed and the book with fairly simple instructions.
That's exactly what I was looking at getting. I already have a tri-pillar with boost, EGT, and trans temp. Looking for fuel pressure, IAT, and water temp for sure.

I've been all over their website. Can't wait to actually get the unit!

Quick Reply: How many ways... can you pull codes (Toni Braxton STAY OUT)