1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Carb rebuild kit and fuel pump, lines

Old 12-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Michael Levy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb rebuild kit and fuel pump, lines

So I need to order the glass bowl fuel pump, fuel lines and 1904 Holley Carb rebuild kit for my 223 motor. Best place? Mid fifty, Dennis Carpenter?

Old 12-12-2014, 10:24 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 604 Likes on 376 Posts
I'd bet they are mostly selling the same pump. I'd buy locally from a NAPA, or CarQuest. An Airtex pump should be about as good as you'll find.

As for the lines, I'd either make my own from NAPA brake tubing (pre-swaged) or buy from Dennis C.

It would help us help you if you put your location in your User Profile, so we have an idea what you're closest to.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:31 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 288 Likes on 166 Posts
Ross, when I was stumbling around trying to make some of the repairs Michael is facing, the NAPAs of the world were not much help. Unless you're able to capably specify the correct parts, you'll struggle. The speciality houses, like Dennis Carpenter or Mid-Fifty, can hand hold the newbie - at a higher price - but less wasted time due to parts mismatching. Initially, you trade money for knowledge. Over time, you can use your new smarts to save some pennies.

Having a very local, hands on resource to help can change the plan. Without it, you need other people you can trust.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Michael Levy
Junior User
Yes, this is true. Learning how to specify the parts needed is turning into a challenge. I have the shop manual and original parts illustrations catalogue, etc, but even with those, identifying parts is tedious for the rookie (that's me). I guess I could go into Autozone here in town, and maybe find a modern fuel pump that would work just fine, but would rather get the original fuel pump with the glass bowl. So yeah, when I call Mid Fifty, they seem knowledgeable and can talk me through what I need, but I see that it is pricey. Maybe worth it at first.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:02 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try eBay for the rebuild kit. I ordered a rebuild kit for my Holley 1904 and it only cost a little over$30. My experiences with NAPA have not been good.. Their parts lookup is super picky, and even if the systems shows they or another store has it, they can't always find it.. I've had more and more good experiences at O'Reilly's, but I have no idea if either of these are anywhere near you :P

Old 12-12-2014, 01:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I would NOT buy the pump at Autozone, unless by some chance they offer the Airtex. The key is to get a decent quality part with rubber made for gasohol (whether you burn that or not, it's the best rubber).

For the carb rebuild kit, same deal, make sure the parts are ethanol-friendly.

I see you added your location (been thru Lawrence several times!), now if you add the year and model of your truck to your Signature you'll be all set.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:52 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
I have found NAPA to be very good for supplying a lot of engine and brake parts .

Old 12-12-2014, 04:01 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by oldmerc
I have found NAPA to be very good for supplying a lot of engine and brake parts .
With the right counter help, I'm sure this can be the case. Too often mine seem more interested in sneaking a smoke than solving a problem.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:41 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Just take this in to your local NAPA

Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
great company here-tons of videos on you tube to help you along in the rebuild as well. I have gotten to know my 1904 quite well over the past couple years...

Welcome to Mike's Carburetor Parts - Your Number 1 Carburetor Parts Store

Old 12-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Michael Levy
Junior User
Thanks for all the feedback. Ended up getting the Carb Kit at Mike's Carb Parts online, and the Fuel Pump on EBay. Rebuilt AC 4131 with modern Gas Gaskets. I could not find one single vendor who actually had the old 4131's with the glass bowl. I guess I could have gotten a functional brand new pump without the glass bowl, in town at O'Reilly but it wouldn't be the same to me. I love the nostalgia of the glass bowl.

While I'm waiting for those parts, I'm going to remove the fuel tank, so I can clean it out with muriatic acid and re-line it. Still want to replace fuel lines, but it would be so much easier to do by myself if I could use flexible tubing. Is it necessary to use rigid lines?

Old 12-13-2014, 09:57 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
The rigid lines are actually pretty easy to install. A simple tube bender for the couple of adjustments needed with a coil of tubing from a farm supply or proper auto parts house. You'll still need flexible segments at each end - but the rest is straight forward. I would suggest that you incorporate a fuel filter somewhere in the run. I put mine underneath the cab to keep the engine bay cleaner. Your call.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Am I the only one who uses Rockauto? I got my 226 pump from them as well as the one for my 239 flathead. They sell Airtex and I have had no problems with either.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:11 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Cougar54
Am I the only one who uses Rockauto? I got my 226 pump from them as well as the one for my 239 flathead. They sell Airtex and I have had no problems with either.
I've also had good luck with them.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:57 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cougar54
Usually the cheapest with the best selection, but there's shipping, and its not terribly fast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb rebuild kit and fuel pump, lines