1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oomph. I'm all shook up, but I'm not in love.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:56 AM
TKegs763
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I wonder the same thing. When I replaced the stabilizer bar bushings, the posts didn't line up. I had to jack the frame up a little on the passenger side to install the passenger-side bushing. That tells me the spring on the passenger side has a little more sag. That might explain the difference in wear between the passenger and driver sides.

I had to do the same thing, and the passenger side sag is obvious to the naked eye when standing behind it on level ground. I put new BFG's on a couple of years ago and it only took about 4 months to start the "heal and toe" wear. I have been putting on used tires, until I can figure out the front. Obviously, I've been fighting this for a while now.

I am making a decision right now, based on the similar issues we are having. Leafs are next on my list, but will be waiting until the spring. (No pun intended)

Old 12-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaugepro
Its everything, every little thing...

It should not bug me, but every time I log on to FTE, there is at least 3-4 threads from Tug.

Should I start a thread every time I fuel up at a new fuel station? I noticed an oil leak today in the driveway, do I need a thread for that? My Oil Pressure gauge quit working, should I start a thread for that?

Not hating on ya Rich, but damn man.

I run military hummer tires, have not changed the shocks in 4-5 years, no alignment in 2-3 years, replace the unit bearings when the wheels start rocking...
If you are under the impression I'm enjoying this, you would be mistaken. My frustration level with the truck is beyond what I deem sane. I need to get this thing stabilized or park the sumbich to regain some peace (and green) in my life. Stinky is flinging expense after expense at me, my "street cred" here is waning because my experience with the truck strains credulity, and when I come to the forum for help with these expensive and elusive problems - I get a daily dose of flak by page 3. Nobody but family has the power to upset me, but the FTE fun factor has fizzled.

Many of my "reboots" are precisely from the threads crabbing sideways like this one is starting to... again.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:27 PM
River19
Elder User
OK back on topic for a second........so you have wear on both the inside and outside most portions of the tire inconsistent with the center of the tire?

Would that possibly suggest one of the following?

1. Under inflation.....
2. Combination of toe and maybe camber both being out of whack with one causing inside wear possibly and one causing outside wear?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by River19
OK back on topic for a second........so you have wear on both the inside and outside most portions of the tire inconsistent with the center of the tire?

Would that possibly suggest one of the following?

1. Under inflation.....
2. Combination of toe and maybe camber both being out of whack with one causing inside wear possibly and one causing outside wear?
Yes, everything you list is suspect and being addressed.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:23 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
you "haters" are missing the point. Its not like Tug aint doing his due diligence, to find the problem. When all avenues end, its when he presses the "new thread" button. Take a look at his "threads", their unique. Things, most of us, would probably right off as "usage"....oil leaks, gauge stopped ...etc, lame dude. Most, are responded with...you google it first, or take a gander at the power supply.....and most are newbs to the 7.3. Ya, i've thrown a few daggers at him, thinking if he regrets not leaving it stock, but he's in forehead deep now.., so, its best, in my opinion, to allow the threads to keep pop'n. Why not, we'll learn, if not now, but down the road....anyhow, im jump'n off his "junk" now, haha....keep ur plug'n Tug

Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of the problem is the content of the threads themselves. The problems raised and questions asked are somewhat reasonable. But this guy constantly personificates a truck...beyond just naming it but referring to it as a living thing instead of an inanimate object. Then he wants us to just answer the question and not focus on the poster, but he himself goes out of the way to personificate the truck and add clever titles and phrases which do nothing but draw attention to the poster. Lastly, he thinks everything on his truck is broken and worn out, consistently replaces stuff to find out it did not fix anything but refuses to concede perhaps nothing is wrong to begin with or he should confirm something instead of theororizing. We all do that but this is week after week. There has to be a happy medium in all this somewhere. If the truck really is that bad then I feel bad for the guy because he refuses to quit on it and by the time its done he could have bought a brand new truck. And many of you people keep cheering him on as if you are doing him a favor by continuing to encourage him to blow his money away! Its easy to encourage someone to spend spend spend.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Tugly, it is so unlikely that your springs are causing this problem it isnt funny. Has anyone done a 4 wheel thrust alignment to make sure you arent crab walking down the road? What are those things on your rear leaf springs? Traction bars? Are they causing some kind of misalignment? I have not and am not going to start following your every move with your truck because I have a life but I bet if you start looking the things you changed you will find they might be causing some headaches. Most times I have an issue it is self induced. Yeah, im starting to feel like Im getting old.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it really that hard to NOT click on Tugly's post if you don't want to read it?

Old 12-17-2014, 05:46 PM
TKegs763
Senior User
Boy, you guys don't have anything better to do other than give him a hard time about posting? Don't click on it if is upsets you grumpy old farts that much. Geez, his info has helped me a ton. Sorry it hasn't helped you, or maybe you just don't have the drive to fix things.

Either way, you guys are going to drive him right out of this forum.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:25 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
I'm 42. Hardly old. Yes, let's keep encouraging him to replace stuff without cause and buy stuff at his expense so that you can read about it for entertainment. I don't think anyone wants him to go, I think we want to see him happy with his truck for a change. I imagine he wants the same. I think a paradigm shift is in order.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM
puffen:D
Senior User
I too am at the point of needing to replace my shocks. I started to read this post hoping for some insight to what might be best "bang for buck" but what I've gotten so far is that everyone seems to have different experiences with all manufactures. I think it all falls to what type of terrain you drive on day to day. I've driven on gravel roads that are smoother than most city streets and the constant hammering of expansion joints on a concrete highway at 70 mph has to be far more punishing than new asphalt. As far as shocks affecting tire wear, so long as the wheel is balanced and not bouncing, alignment and tire pressure are the main issue. Shocks are ride. That only comes into play if you hit a bump. That's my 10 cents.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Shocks will in fact affect tire wear. In the sense that a bad shock with no more rebound ability will allow the tire to "bounce" and cause uneven tire wear. But take all the common shocks used on our trucks and discussed here...if you have a set of good shocks, changing brands isn't going to magically fix some bad tire wear.

Currently I am running the blue Bilsteins and I hate them. They are coming off soon. After install I instantly noticed a harsher ride. They are too firm and stiff more my tastes. I will most likely try and find some Ranchos that are the same as the OE shocks.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Keep it coming Tugly. . .
I respect tenacity and appreciate your attempt to make your posts entertaining - it works for me

Old 12-17-2014, 07:21 PM
kefrko
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kay
Is it really that hard to NOT click on Tugly's post if you don't want to read it?
I have been thinking the same thing.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 PM
slpcth
Senior User
Shocks are like engine oil, everybody has their own opinion and experiences. There are millions of engines running for thousands of miles on all brands of oil. The same is true for shocks. My personal preference is adjustable shocks for my trucks since they are operated from empty to fully loaded, to towing to 4 wheeling. Adjustable shocks allow me to fine tune to the conditions. I think most name brand manufacturers make good shocks, just as most name brand oil manufacturers make quality oil. Find the ones with the features and price you like and buy them. We all have personal name brand preferences that we tend to stick to as you can see by the replies whenever someone posts a thread asking "what brand do you use" or "which brand is best". Doesn't seem to matter for most parts as all our trucks are up and running good on different brands of oil, shocks etc. You might find a brand you don't like after you installed it because what works for me may be not work for you but there is noway to tell until you try it. Also, from your description of problems I don't think different shocks are going to help much. Just my .02 cents worth.

Quick Reply: Oomph. I'm all shook up, but I'm not in love.