Sponsored by:

Excursion Running Boards vs Step Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:16 PM
aaedin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion Running Boards vs Step Bars

On the step bars, 3 brackets are used to attach the bar to the truck. 10 bolts in total. On the running board, there are 5 mounting brackets which would yield 18 bolts. On the running boards, are all the brackets attached or did they only attach 3 of the 5 brackets similar to the step bars? Reason I ask is I haven't enough hardware to attach all 5 and am curious if attaching only 3 would be safe like with the step bars.

I'm happy enough to order the hardware but if your folks' board's brackets aren't all attached I wasn't going to go the extra mile either.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:22 AM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
I am not entirely sure why they wouldn't use all 5 mounting locations, but here is how the stock running boards are bolted in. I couldn't get all 5 mounts in the picture, only 4, but all 5 have bolts in them. Hope this helps.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:29 AM
aaedin
Senior User
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
I am not entirely sure why they wouldn't use all 5 mounting locations, but here is how the stock running boards are bolted in. I couldn't get all 5 mounts in the picture, only 4, but all 5 have bolts in them. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that bud.

Okay I see what they did. On each of the 5 brackets, they have 2 bolts anchoring it to the truck. On the step bars, there are only 3 brackets and they have 4 bolts anchoring each bracket instead of 2. I think I will mirror yours and use 2 bolts each instead of 4 bolts on each of the 5 brackets. 4 bolts over 5 brackets might be overkill. I'm swapping mine to stainless as well and they aren't all that cheap.

Thanks again for crawling under there. (nice and clean too!)

Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 AM
JuanHuevos
Yea that totally makes sense. 2 bolts each should work. If you need something else with this let me know, it's no trouble.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:25 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
ok i have to know what the hose is

Old 12-12-2014, 05:55 PM
JuanHuevos
Lol that's the vent hose for the oil catchcan which is connected to the crankcase vent. I know the hoses look ghetto, it's what I had on hand. I intend to replace that clear junk so don't judge me lol!

Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 PM
saltfisherman
New User
Originally Posted by superdave02f552
ok i have to know what the hose is
Looks like a pilot relief tube, has a funnel at the drivers seat.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:56 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You should do something about all that rust under there.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:55 PM
aaedin
Senior User

All done, thanks for the help!

I had to hacksaw 6 of the old bolts off. They were pretty rusted. So I replaced them all with stainless steel. I ended up using 4 bolts per bracket instead of 2. That way my OCD would let me sleep instead of knowing I had two wholes not being used per bracket. Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:04 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
I don't care who you are ... That's funny right there!

Old 12-14-2014, 11:57 AM
JuanHuevos
Originally Posted by aaedin

All done, thanks for the help!

I had to hacksaw 6 of the old bolts off. They were pretty rusted. So I replaced them all with stainless steel. I ended up using 4 bolts per bracket instead of 2. That way my OCD would let me sleep instead of knowing I had two wholes not being used per bracket. Thanks again.
Glad you got it worked out! I think I would've had to put all 4 bolts in too, it would be just under there all time...bugging me.

Originally Posted by EXv10
Yea you gotta love a Texas truck. But alas, Texas can't full credit here. This truck belonged to a couple in OR that also had a house in Cabo. It spent a bunch of time south of the border so there's a ton of sand lurking in it's nooks and crannies. It's only been in TX a couple of years.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:28 PM
aaedin
Senior User
Juan, do you think I could pry another favor out of you? My running boards have 2 feet of loom wiring coming off of them and end at a connector. I guess I just assumed where they needed to plug into would be in the vicinity of the running board. I can't find a harness or anything where the running boards should plug into for the lights to work. Are you able to take a picture of where you boards connect to the trucks harness? I'm guess they connect to a connector that runs over to the main harness on the frame.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:50 PM
JuanHuevos
Originally Posted by aaedin
Juan, do you think I could pry another favor out of you? My running boards have 2 feet of loom wiring coming off of them and end at a connector. I guess I just assumed where they needed to plug into would be in the vicinity of the running board. I can't find a harness or anything where the running boards should plug into for the lights to work. Are you able to take a picture of where you boards connect to the trucks harness? I'm guess they connect to a connector that runs over to the main harness on the frame.
Yea no worries, the only thing is it's raining and it's dark lol so pictures may not be all that great. But it's supposed to be sunny and dry tomorrow, will that work for you?

Old 12-14-2014, 05:51 PM
aaedin
Senior User
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
Yea no worries, the only thing is it's raining and it's dark lol so pictures may not be all that great. But it's supposed to be sunny and dry tomorrow, will that work for you?

Sure does, thank you again.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:12 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I just went looking in my older photos, and yep. I have two that show the connectors. Here they are. The First one, you can see the loom coming from the step to the frame rail, the other shows the connector, also by the frame, but tucked up past all the rear A/C lines.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Excursion Running Boards vs Step Bars