1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I might be shopping for a dually in the future - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:43 AM
GoCamping
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I might be shopping for a dually in the future - what would you do?

Hello brethren,
Haven't been here in awhile. Just been enjoying my truck and 5er a bit much I guess
I've got this wild hair to get a truck camper. For now, it's going to be something shortbed compatible and not too heavy for my F250. But my mind is taking me "down the road" (literally I guess) and I think in a few years I would be replacing my current truck with an F350 long bed DRW and put a 2 or 3 slide truck camper on top. Something like a Lance 1172.
This is where I get conflicted. I think we all agree (at least in this forum) on how the 7.3 is such a great engine to have in our trucks. Ideally I'd find an F350 of similar year that has been taken care of like mine and call it a day, but trucks like that are in such demand and not easy to find .... esp in 4x4 Lariat which is what I'd be shopping for. Anyway from ya'lls point of view, what would you do? Some options I've thought about...

- Find a 7.3 in good condition and around 100k miles (fat chance I think)
- Find a 6.0 2005-2007 that someone has bulletproofed ... or get a good enough deal on one to do the ARP studs, etc
- 6.8 v10 gasser 05+ (harder to find in Lariat trim, I don't want an XL work truck)
- 6.2 v8 gasser in a 2011 (same as above)
- maybe a 6.4, but I'd have to deal with EGR isses?

I think I can afford one of the above, but 6.7 is probably out of the question. I've researched the gassers previously and I know they'd be low maintenance and would pull my fifth wheel with the right gears. BTW my truck isn't a daily driver, it just goes camping and hauls stuff and every so often a deer out of the woods

Not really on topic but I know this group to be pragmatic so I'd like your opinions, now fire away!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd take my time and look for the 7.3 dually. They're out there like you described, I have one. It just turned 100k. Its not for sale, but now and then you see one that someone doesn't need anymore or wants something else. I like that I can do a lot of my own maintenance and I basically understand the systems, ( thanks to FTE ) unlike my 13 F150.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The 6.2 gas engine is quite impressive and should be able to handle what you are planning. I don't see any reason why you would need a diesel engine for a slide in camper. I would suggest that you skip the initial and reoccurring expense that exists with diesel engines.

The new F-350 dually pickups have quite a nice payload package these days.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I have to agree with Greg. I would look at a 6.2 gas and skip the common mods that a stock 7.3 would require, low mileage or not.
It'll be quiet, have no cold start issues, & cost less at maintenance time.

On the other hand....We all love our 7.3's and we have a great support network here. If the 6.2 doesn't move you, buying a 7.3 truck over a 2011 would leave plenty of left over mod money.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 PM
V-22 Osprey
Mountain Pass
Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
I love my 7.3 dually, its a crew cab long bed, 270K and going strong! But the turning radius is almost silly! Driving it is like a chess game, you better be a few moves ahead at all times. Any parking lot can be an adventure if your not on your game! I have no plans to replace it but I would not buy another one. Should I ever need to and still want a dually it will have a better turning radius. I'd go with a newer dually with a better turning radius. If I only need the dually for the payload then it would be gas. For me the only reason to get a diesel in this case would be gas milage. The more I plan to drive annually the more I would think about getting a diesel...sorry, not much help!

kelly

Last edited by V-22 Osprey; 12-11-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 12-12-2014, 06:46 AM
GoCamping
Elder User
I really can't say I disagree with you guys ...

V-22 I stumbled on this thread when looking up the turning radius question, since you got me thinking. Seems in later years it's significantly better:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ng-radius.html

I should have mentioned that we would continue to have the 5er, which weighs right at 10k. I've been lurking in the 6.2 forums from time to time and I think I could do well with a 6.2 and 4.30 gears. However, a DRW F350 Lariat 6.2 4x4 and the 4.30 gears isn't exactly a common combo out on the market. Maybe in a few years there will be more out there, and I hope so. I'm all about lowering maintenance, not going the other way. Too little time in life.

We'll see when the time comes. Maybe a 7.3 will pop up and I would be comfortable with it as I believe I know my truck pretty well. OTOH a 2011+ gasser would be a newer truck, have bigger capacities and still fit my towing needs.

Should I also consider the v10 years? I thought at some point (maybe 08?) the v10 got the 5 speed torqshift. I hadn't looked into 08-10 all that much.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I used to drive a v10 when I worked for the city. It was a torque monster!!!
Not sure about the mileage, but I can't see it any worse than 7mpg towing.
That's all my 01 F250 w/ 5.4 got and it was a dog until wound up.

If your going to keep the 5'r I would stick with a diesel.
Maybe the newer trannys can keep a small gasser in it's sweet spot towing? But me being a full timer I talk with quite a few weekend campers & most with gas trucks say they want to upgrade to a diesel.

As complicated as these new engines are anymore gas & diesel, I wouldn't expect the repairs to be cheap on a gasser that spends it's life wound tight.
We all know you can trust a 7.3 to do the job.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
I just emailed a friend of mine and a member here. Hopefully he will have the answers you seek!

Smokie

Old 12-12-2014, 11:30 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd keep your truck and use 19.5" wheels (Rickson or whatever) if you decide to get a bigger truck camper. You might not go bigger, so I'd wait until the time comes. By then the 6.7s might be easier on the wallet and something to consider. You can put a pretty big camper on a short bed if you don't mind outfitting it a bit and paying attention to the rear axle weight, which is really only limited by the tires (the weight police will argue with me but I know what the sterling axle is rated for). Mine are 3750# each and I only have 6400# on the rear axle loaded up, for reference.

The gasser choice is yours alone to make. The work truck I use is a new 6.2 gas F250 4x4. It's a great truck but not one that I would own. Hard to explain, it's not my truck and it gets the job done. But that engine isn't a good fit for a Superduty IMO and it is good at turning gas in to a lot of noise. And it uses a lot of gas to that too. Makes a lot of noise but doesn't feel like I'm going anywhere. Reminds me of a Harley Davidson. Stick with the V10 if you go that route. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:30 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
My DD has been a diesel dually for about 20 years.
It is hard to beat a crew cab truck as an multi-use vehicle.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:00 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had three V-10 gas burners in our fleet. They would pull. If you do anything to change the aerodynamics of the truck like adding a camper or towing you can expect 6-8 mpg.... Gas is cheap, for now.....

Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 PM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi GoCamping, I am the friend Smokie told you about... We own a 2002 F350 XLT Crewcab, 4x4, dually, 8 foot box with a 7.3, six speed stick, and 4:10 gears. We bought the truck new and it currently has 55K miles on it. And NO, it is NOT for sale. It is not a DD. It sits in the garage awaiting it's next towing duties. The truck is stock except for an exhaust brake and aftermarket brakes. When the truck was new I installed a B&W gooseneck with the 5th wheel hitch that plugs into the gooseneck so that when the hitch is out of the truck the floor of the bed is flat. We used to tow a 36 foot Holiday Imperial 5th wheel. We currently tow a 24 foot enclosed trailer hauling one of our two classic cars. We also tow a 22 foot sport boat with a BB Chevy V8. Recently we decided to go back to a truck camper, so we can haul the camper and two either our car trailer or boat at the same time. F-350's like mine have GVW rating of 11,500 lbs. The truck weighs 6400 empty. Add in 2000 lbs for fuel, people, tools, supplies, food, and water, and you have 3100 lbs left for a camper. The problem is that a camper loads 70% of its weight over the rear axle, so that 3100 lbs should really an overloaded condiiton. A more realistic weight for the camper is more like 2500 lbs. We purchased a 2001 Lance 1010 this year. It has a generator in it and NO slides. Dry weight is 2511 lbs. If you are thinking about a Lance with double or triple slides an F-350 is not stout enough to haul it safely. You will need an F-450 with some suspension mods. Our truck sits level with the camper, but is actually light in the front end, and it feels top heavy. Torque Lift makes some great products. I am using the Stable Lifts to beef up the rear suspension which shifted some of the weight to the front axle which helps the truck deal with the uneven weight. I use a Superhitch 20K reciever and Supertruss 36 inch double hitch extension to tow with. Even so, I have to use 1000 lb bars on the car trailer to hold the rig level due to leverage. It drives like the Queen Mary. I can provide you with more details if you want them. Many years ago I worked for Coachman RV. My job was to set up rigs, and I have set up just about every sort of combonation that exists. Then I decided to earn a degree in nursing and left the RV business. As for a V10 it is a good engine. I have zero respect for the 4R100 automatic transmission that most of them have behind them. Expect about 7MPG loaded, but you will save a lot on maintenance costs. Charles

Old 12-13-2014, 11:12 AM
cclgeo
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold out for the 7.3 dually. I just purchased 2000 F350 Lariat LE with 88, 000 miles and it came with a lance 1010 for $21,000. They are in perfect condition, well maintained by the elderly couple that had them. They are out there, just be patient and search everyday. Also use us as a resource, if you find one like on the west coast, ping a member to see if they can check it out for you and send extra pictures and give you a third party opinion.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:57 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Man I love this group. Always many opinions but we all know everyone has their own. Can't say that about other forums I get into ...

Originally Posted by spdmpo
I'd keep your truck and use 19.5" wheels (Rickson or whatever) if you decide to get a bigger truck camper. You might not go bigger, so I'd wait until the time comes. By then the 6.7s might be easier on the wallet and something to consider. You can put a pretty big camper on a short bed if you don't mind outfitting it a bit and paying attention to the rear axle weight, which is really only limited by the tires (the weight police will argue with me but I know what the sterling axle is rated for). Mine are 3750# each and I only have 6400# on the rear axle loaded up, for reference.
That's a good point. I have read somewhere what the axle is truly rated at and know that it's tire limited. I've seen some big TC's on SRW trucks but with 19.5" tires. That's something to think about. And you're right by the time I get around to all this the 6.7 might be in my range.

Originally Posted by spdmpo
The gasser choice is yours alone to make. The work truck I use is a new 6.2 gas F250 4x4. It's a great truck but not one that I would own. Hard to explain, it's not my truck and it gets the job done. But that engine isn't a good fit for a Superduty IMO and it is good at turning gas in to a lot of noise. And it uses a lot of gas to that too. Makes a lot of noise but doesn't feel like I'm going anywhere. Reminds me of a Harley Davidson. Stick with the V10 if you go that route. Good luck!
LOL I like that HD reference! I do wonder about switching to gas and losing some of that Superduty character that I've grown to enjoy about my 7.3.

Originally Posted by gcspray
Hi GoCamping, I am the friend Smokie told you about... We own a 2002 F350 XLT Crewcab, 4x4, dually, 8 foot box with a 7.3, six speed stick, and 4:10 gears. We bought the truck new and it currently has 55K miles on it. And NO, it is NOT for sale. It is not a DD. It sits in the garage awaiting it's next towing duties. The truck is stock except for an exhaust brake and aftermarket brakes. When the truck was new I installed a B&W gooseneck with the 5th wheel hitch that plugs into the gooseneck so that when the hitch is out of the truck the floor of the bed is flat. We used to tow a 36 foot Holiday Imperial 5th wheel. We currently tow a 24 foot enclosed trailer hauling one of our two classic cars. We also tow a 22 foot sport boat with a BB Chevy V8. Recently we decided to go back to a truck camper, so we can haul the camper and two either our car trailer or boat at the same time. F-350's like mine have GVW rating of 11,500 lbs. The truck weighs 6400 empty. Add in 2000 lbs for fuel, people, tools, supplies, food, and water, and you have 3100 lbs left for a camper. The problem is that a camper loads 70% of its weight over the rear axle, so that 3100 lbs should really an overloaded condiiton. A more realistic weight for the camper is more like 2500 lbs. We purchased a 2001 Lance 1010 this year. It has a generator in it and NO slides. Dry weight is 2511 lbs. If you are thinking about a Lance with double or triple slides an F-350 is not stout enough to haul it safely. You will need an F-450 with some suspension mods. Our truck sits level with the camper, but is actually light in the front end, and it feels top heavy. Torque Lift makes some great products. I am using the Stable Lifts to beef up the rear suspension which shifted some of the weight to the front axle which helps the truck deal with the uneven weight. I use a Superhitch 20K reciever and Supertruss 36 inch double hitch extension to tow with. Even so, I have to use 1000 lb bars on the car trailer to hold the rig level due to leverage. It drives like the Queen Mary. I can provide you with more details if you want them. Many years ago I worked for Coachman RV. My job was to set up rigs, and I have set up just about every sort of combonation that exists. Then I decided to earn a degree in nursing and left the RV business. As for a V10 it is a good engine. I have zero respect for the 4R100 automatic transmission that most of them have behind them. Expect about 7MPG loaded, but you will save a lot on maintenance costs. Charles
Thank you Charles for joining in! Wow a 7.3 with 55k on it. That's amazing. You've given me plenty to think about - and I've heard great things about Torklift. I plan to use them for tie downs and Fastguns for turnbuckles. What I read about their customer service is unheard of.

So far it looks like the votes are for sticking with diesel if I'm going to tow a 5er and have a slide in truck camper. And to hold out for a good 7.3. I guess it could happen.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:42 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GoCamping
Hello brethren,
Haven't been here in awhile. Just been enjoying my truck and 5er a bit much I guess

- Find a 7.3 in good condition and around 100k miles (fat chance I think)

Not really on topic but I know this group to be pragmatic so I'd like your opinions, now fire away!
Find a southern states (less rust) 7.3l in good condition that was maintained... you will pay for it though I would expect $10 to $20k.

I found a cheap 7.3l drw 4x2 ($5,500)....and well I am paying for it now...
After exhaust, tires, fuel tank, steering box, tonneau cover, led bulbs, air filter, floor mats, tensioner pulley, belt, I still have more to do...

Tranny rebuild, glow plug relay, rear diff fluid change, rear brake drum replacement...etc