Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Winter with the old diesel- help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:24 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
i agree. 30 degrees is nothing. my 88 with close to 1/2 million miles on it will fire rite up at 10 below after sitting for 3 weeks, or 3 months. and i never plug it in.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:27 PM
bhambulldog
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my truck only one winter.
And it doesn't get very cold here. I didn't use my block heater at all last winter.

My hard cranking issues were solved with new batteries and a new fuel filter,

Old 12-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't get as cold as some of you guys do, but we see the 20's and once in a while high teens.

I have never plugged in any of my IDI's, don't even know if any of the block heaters work/worked.

Trucks always start right up no matter how cold, key is in keeping the GP system working.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:13 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
don't forget good batteries cables and starter Chevy.
i have seen more people cursing their glow plug system and batteries when in fact they had bad battery cables or bad starters that could not spin the engine fast enough to start it.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
So true, the need for good cranking power can't be overstated.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:02 PM
CaptainFacePunch
Freshman User
So I am pretty convinced it sounds like the fuel filter. So being that i am new to all this, i need some help and explanation.
Should i have an in-line or in engine fuel filter? Or both?
And do i need a specific one ordered, or can i pick up a generic one from advance auto?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:21 PM
irhunter
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
There is no downside of slapping on a new filter. They are a spin-on unit...look like a short oil filter on top of the motor.

I'd buy whatever brand you are comfortable with. They run 15 to 45 bucks...pays to shop around. I always check ebay and Amazon, too. FWIW, I generally buy Fleetgard and generally avoid Fram.

Here is a description:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...hange-how.html

Roy

Old 12-17-2014, 05:31 PM
CaptainFacePunch
Freshman User
Ok i found it and everything. Funny, it looks like the newest part of the whole engine. So do i need one made specifically for my truck model, or are there generic ones for all diesels which i can just pick up at the store?

Old 12-17-2014, 05:43 PM
irhunter
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I don't know what else that exact filter fits...probably not much. Anyway, just go to NAPA, Advance, or wherever you go for parts, and ask at the counter. They'll just need the year, the fact you have a Diesel, and want a fuel filter.

Roy

Old 12-17-2014, 07:03 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
There are a few different options for the filters. The original ones that came with the truck had a removable bottom that collected any water that came through the fuel line. This bottom piece also had a water drain valve and a water in fuel sensor. One piece filters are available that do away with the removable bottom piece. They can be had with or without a port to screw in the water in fuel sensor.

I use Wix 33617 filters. They include the port the water in fuel sensor screws into and a water drain at the bottom. You should be able to cross-reference that in any auto store if they don't carry Wix filters. They can be found cheaper online if you have the time to order them.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:37 PM
bhambulldog
Freshman User
Also do a search on the forum for "air intrusion".
And, a search for fuel heater "O" ring replacement.
A very slight leak at the wiring for the fuel heater can allow an air pocket in the fuel filter. (where the fuel leaks out, air leaks in..)

The symptoms of "air intrusion" are;
After cranking a cold engine, the engine will run. Then stall, and be VERY HARD to crank again.
If the batteries and starter are not in TOP condition, you will have trouble getting it to rune a second time.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bhambulldog
Also do a search on the forum for "air intrusion".
And, a search for fuel heater "O" ring replacement.
A very slight leak at the wiring for the fuel heater can allow an air pocket in the fuel filter. (where the fuel leaks out, air leaks in..)

The symptoms of "air intrusion" are;
After cranking a cold engine, the engine will run. Then stall, and be VERY HARD to crank again.
If the batteries and starter are not in TOP condition, you will have trouble getting it to rune a second time.

fuel heater is on the stock seperator on a 6.9 on the firewall everyone bypasses them junkers.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:08 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
fuel heater is on the stock seperator on a 6.9 on the firewall everyone bypasses them junkers.
The OP has a 94, so it would have a 7.3 with the fuel filter that has a water separator built in. Thus it would have the fuel heater in the filterhead which is mounted above the engine, nothing on the firewall.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tecgod13
The OP has a 94, so it would have a 7.3 with the fuel filter that has a water separator built in. Thus it would have the fuel heater in the filterhead which is mounted above the engine, nothing on the firewall.

do you know if that would swap in on a 6.9?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Not everyone, I've never had a problem with them. And if it ever did leak a shut of valve at the end of the drain hose solves the issue.

do you know if that would swap in on a 6.9?
The filter's not, the thread is different, but you could swap out the entire filter head, but then you're more leak prone than before with the built in fuel leaker (heater), the stupid spin on bowl on the bottom, and the various sensors that are not present on the 6.9 head.

Quick Reply: Winter with the old diesel- help