6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

&#$&*(@$( On the side of the &(%$^%$& road again

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
&#$&*(@$( On the side of the &(%$^%$& road again

Just driving to Dallas marveling at how well my truck is running, pulling a light load, 2500lbs, and then it starts sounding funny, can't really describe it except that I thought it was tire-related, which is usually just the highway. so straining to look in my side mirrors at tires and see smoke. Thought I had a wheel bearing about to blow, but as I slow down, I see its the exhaust. I got lots of smoke coming out.

It's light gray at idle, and my guess is it smells like oil. On the highway, it looked darker coming out of my exhaust at 65mph.

Not running hot, I just changed the oil this morning, and still seems to have plenty and can't tell that it's lost any. Motorcraft filter from Walmart. I get codes P0106, p0672, and p0401. The EGR delete always throws one of those, and I have a glow plug out. I've had the other a while and maybe since then, I don't know. It's been running great, so I hadn't messed with it.

I haven't tried to race it, since I had a small trailer, but it doesn't seem to be running badly. I've just dropped off the trailer and am sitting in the parking lot not sure what to do next. Am I about to blow this thing up? Did it actually already blow up, and all that smoke is the result? Maybe blown rings or a hole in my piston or something terrible? Got my Scan Gauge. I'll post all the readings next.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:51 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Here's where I look bad again.

My scanguage still doesn't show any IPC Voltage. Recall it didn't when I last got back running. Again, it's been running great so I figured it has to be either SG or user error. I know, I should have figured out why. Could that cause any problems? Ditto with it still showing IPR of 32 at warm idle. Didn't really get any suggestions from anyone here why it would be doing that, and otherwise seemed to be running fine, so I didn't mess with it.

My EOT/ECT delta has been great. Last trip, I was pulling 14000 over hundreds of hilly miles, it only got close to 15 once and was usually less than 10. The 200 miles I drove today before the smoke, it was always low, and is now.

KOEO/at warm idle from Scan Guage:

IA2 155 129
CVI 5.00 5.00
EBP 14.7 17.4
IPR 14.8 33.2
SYC 0 1
FLP 12.0 13.0
FMP 47.5 48.0
ICP 0 875
VLT 12.2 13.2
IA 143 85

Old 12-10-2014, 05:52 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Just driving to Dallas marveling at how well my truck is running, pulling a light load, 2500lbs, and then it starts sounding funny, can't really describe it except that I thought it was tire-related, which is usually just the highway. But, I look strain to see in my side mirrors, I see smoke. Thought I had a bearing about to blow, but as I slow down, I see its the exhaust. I got lots of smoke coming out.

It's light gray at idle, and my guess is it smells like oil. On the highway, it looked darker coming out of my exhaust at 65mph.

Not running hot, I just changed the oil this morning, and still seems to have plenty and can't tell that it's lost any. Motorcraft filter from Walmart. I get codes P0106, p0672, and p0401. The EGR delete always throws one of those, and I have a glow plug out. I've had the other a while and maybe since then, I don't know. It's been running great, so I hadn't messed with it.

I haven't tried to race it, since I had a small trailer, but it doesn't seem to be running badly. I've just dropped off the trailer and am sitting in the parking lot not sure what to do next. Am I about to blow this thing up? Did it actually already blow up, and all that smoke is the result? Maybe blown rings or a hole in my piston or something terrible? Got my Scan Gauge. I'll post all the readings next.
Probably turbo seals if it smells like oil, I would drive it ( as long as it isn't smoking really bad ) and just keep an eye on it, stopping periodically to check the oil depending on how far you are away from home, if it seems to be running ok, I just wouldn't push it too hard, get it home and check for the presence of oil in the turbo downpipe. With the engine running if you remove the oil fill cap how much if any smoke/mist comes out? Should be next to none.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:08 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Yeah, I thought about the turbo. My last posts described a loud noise it would make under the highest load that I assumed by the high-rpm spinning sound was either the turbo or fan clutch. And that my SG Boost number never gets above 20 no matter how much I push it. After talking to others here and based on the Ford tech telling me my fan clutch was getting weak, I decided it was that and after not having any more problem with it for a few thousand miles, did nothing.

Now I wonder if it wasn't really the turbo. How hard are seals to put in? Any special tools required?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Yeah, I thought about the turbo. My last posts described a loud noise it would make under the highest load that I assumed by the high-rpm spinning sound was either the turbo or fan clutch. And that my SG Boost number never gets above 20 no matter how much I push it. After talking to others here and based on the Ford tech telling me my fan clutch was getting weak, I decided it was that and after not having any more problem with it for a few thousand miles, did nothing.

Now I wonder if it wasn't really the turbo. How hard are seals to put in? Any special tools required?
Ive never done the turbo oil seals myself but it is fairly involved, most guys just opt for a new turbo, or you can get just the center rotating section and save a few bucks.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:37 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Is the swap-out pretty straightforward - unbolt the old one, bolt on the new one? Is there a re-learn process?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:41 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Is the swap-out pretty straightforward - unbolt the old one, bolt on the new one? Is there a re-learn process?
Its very straight forward, and its plug and play.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:47 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
You should do a vgt relearn anytime you do anything with the turbo, egr valve or exhaust. Also check map ebp and baro at koeo, they should all match.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Turbos are pretty pricey. How stupid would I be to buy a used one? Also, how do I diagnose for sure before spending that money? Or, eliminate every other thing it could be. I'm on the side of the road and can't afford to play throw-parts-at-it.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:58 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I'm about out of PC battery waiting for a friend to come fetch me and I'll get plugged in. Fordman, what do mismatched baro, ebp and map indicate? Could that cause all this smoke? I don't have those xcommands on by SG and will have to look up the settings.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:15 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
the scanguage website doesn't list a MAP or baro Xcommand under the 6.0 but it does have a BAR setting for CANSF Fords so I programmed that. It shows BAR at 29.5 KOEO vs the EBP of 14.7. What could that mean?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:19 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What it would mean is one of them is biased out of it's normal range.
Whether it is causeing the problem will depend which one is biased and by how much.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
What it would mean is one of them is biased out of it's normal range.
Whether it is causeing the problem will depend which one is biased and by how much.
Would either one of them being wrong cause all this smoke? Or is that a separate issue?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
They are probably reading the same, just baro in "of hg and ebp in psi.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:34 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Need to get the map/boost x gauge put in. Watch map ebp icp and vgt.

Quick Reply: &#$&*(@$( On the side of the &(%$^%$& road again