Broken off Glow Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Broken off Glow Plug

Figured I would ask here too

I got in this predicament last on the 97 I picked up for a winter beater. 5 of the 8 GPs were open, SO I was changing them out. Well wouldn't you know it. The Last one came apart. All that is left is the electrode.

I loaded it with some PB and was able to remove the rocker and pushrod assem next to it. I got on the tip with a larger set of needle nose Vise grips. I couldn't budge it by rotating or pulling up. So Decided to tap with hammer. Got it to bottom the vise grips to the head, then used a long pry bar to "pull" on the VG. Got it back to where I started. Or so I thought. Electrode did not move. Vise grips are just sliding.

I am thinking I should just spray it again and let is sit for 24 hours before I cause my self more aggravation than needed. But part of me want to get it out TONIGHT.

Let it sit since last night, tried again today. NOTHING

I made a 5/16 - 1/2" fine nut adapter. This way i could unscrew my vise grip adjusting screw, thread in the 5/16 bolt then thread on my slide hammer. Grabbed the tip of what was sticking out of the GP and took a couple blows with the slide hammer. All i did was slid off the electrode with ZERO movement.

Blew out al the BP and put in Gunk carb cleaner. I wanted BREAKABLE 2+2 but ti doesnt look like that is averrable any more(must work too good)

So any suggestions?

O I also tried beating the electrode down with a hammer and punch but the punch just kept sliding off. Also cranked the truck over with fuss 22 out but it didn't budge

Old 12-10-2014, 05:23 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brad - so have you given up on getting it out through the top? i.e., you'll have to remove the head anyway?

if not, what about drilling out the center with a small carbide? then just getting bigger and bigger. if you keep a vacuum near it while drilling the chips should all come up by the drill flutes until you break through...

you'd have to pull the injector to get room for that though obviously.

...crazy idea, but sounds like you're literally stuck otherwise. that sort of predicament seems to be going around.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
All that is left is the electrode, And it is some high tensile steel. Not drilling it.

Also the whole body of the GP is out, just the electrode is left.

I am NOT pulling the head. I will run it with 7 glow plugs if it comes to it

Old 12-10-2014, 06:00 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
that sounds like your best option. 7 GPs aint bad. and if that one is in there solid, compression should be fine.

only one way to find out! :-)

Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
GOT it!!!!
Since I couldn't get it to move with vise grips or punch I had to improvise.

Used a 6" x 1/4" extension and a 3/16 socket as a punch and the socket made sure it stayed on the electrode. Couple solid hits from the hammer and I was able to drive it down about 1/4". Then got vise grips on w slide hammer and was able to pull it out. I was getting worried there.

thanks for the help

Old 12-10-2014, 07:17 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty good brad. Them things can get real stuck(trust me. I know) lol

Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
So what was the pucker factor trying to drive it down just a bit to loosen it up so you could pull it? Did you have the engine rotated so the cylinder was up top?

With my luck I would have punched it all the way through.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Wasn't too bad. I just made sure I dint SEND it all the way. Just got it moving then pulled with slide hammer

Old 12-10-2014, 10:01 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no choice now but to change my GPs as the VC gasket is smoking at the front passenger side connection. I am so worried that I am going to be in your shoes but with far less expertise and experience and tools! Oh well, it is time to just bite the bullet, say a few really good prayers, and hope they come out ok. Glad you got yours out.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:45 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mjunk1
I have no choice now but to change my GPs as the VC gasket is smoking at the front passenger side connection. I am so worried that I am going to be in your shoes but with far less expertise and experience and tools! Oh well, it is time to just bite the bullet, say a few really good prayers, and hope they come out ok. Glad you got yours out.
Just another reason NOT to run a truck with non-functioning glow plugs

Old 12-11-2014, 06:05 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
brad - i'm curious: are the threads ok to put a new one in, what with all that pulling and slide-hammering?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:42 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
brad - i'm curious: are the threads ok to put a new one in, what with all that pulling and slide-hammering?
the electrode is inside the collar. And odds are with his, the whole electrode came out giving him something to grab onto, unlike mine where the electrode broke off inside the collar and left it inside the head. His scenario was probably the best case for a broken electrode.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
the electrode is inside the collar. And odds are with his, the whole electrode came out giving him something to grab onto, unlike mine where the electrode broke off inside the collar and left it inside the head. His scenario was probably the best case for a broken electrode.
Correct. All I had left was the electrode. The rest of the glow plug came out like normal

Old 12-11-2014, 03:14 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
ah - there's a step down in diameter in the head port beyond the GP threads, huh?

well that's dumb. makes cutting the threads tougher in the first place, and makes the swelling GP tip issue that much worse.

anyway, glad you got it out, Brad. how many powerstrokes do you have now? and how many total trucks?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Right now have 5 powerstrokes, one IDI, 5 gassers and my GFs fusion. So 12 vehicles total.

I do have one of the 95s for sale though since I bought my F-superduty

Quick Reply: Broken off Glow Plug