Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 PM
If it rolls, drive it!

brit_wheels_fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 51 F1 Fuel line placement - help please

After retirement, a house sale, a move, and a new retirement job, I have my old truck project moved to the town where I now reside. It's in a rental garage with no heat, lights, or electricity, but now after four years I am getting some time to attend to it. Purchased parts four years ago. Now have a new fuel tank installed & and ready to fit new fuel line. Can someone, please, tell me how this line was routed? Does it go along the left frame rail with the brake lines, or up the right rail then back across and up the left side of the firewall? The line I purchased four years ago, pre bent, seems too long to run along the left frame rail and I cannot figure how it goes. One end of the new line is straight for about six inches before the first bend and this is covered with a sheath. Is this the tank end? The old rusted tank and rusted line was plumbed in a weird manner with a sediment bulb just downstream of where the line went into the tank. Would like to put the truck back together with the new bits and pieces I have for it. I will probably sell it or give it away later in 2015 as I will be moving from Indiana to western Washington State. Would really be a bonus to get it running. I think I have some photos of the truck posted on this site in 'my garage' or in a photo album. Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer.
Soon for Washington State west of the Cascades
1951 F1 Five Star Deluxe cab
1970 MGB
Old 12-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
What engine?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
What engine?
The one in his "Garage" is a flat-8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit_wheels_fan View Post
I will probably sell it or give it away later in 2015 as I will be moving from Indiana to western Washington State.
Give it away? I hope that means you have someone in mind to give it to. Otherwise there are a few people here in FTE that will have to arm wrestle for it.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
Bill has the best diagram ever in this thread - covers both the V8 and I6.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...fuel-line.html

19 and 49 F1 jes' like Henry II built

DW
Old 12-10-2014, 05:18 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
Bill has the best diagram ever in this thread - covers both the V8 and I6.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...fuel-line.html
Unfortunately, that shows the V8 routing for a truck with the frame-mounted tank.

The line goes over to the LH frame rail, then forward thru the opening in the corner of the main crossmember with the brake lines. From there it goes up the firewall just about under the voltage regulator. It stops about even with the fuel pump, then turns towards the engine and has a ~6" piece of flex line to the pump bowl.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 PM
If it rolls, drive it!

Thank you for the responses. Yes, the pickup does have the 239 flathead V8. I will try to route the new fuel line through the opening in the corner of the cross member. It sure seems like there is "more line" than is needed and I may need to make some creative bends in addition to the ones already in it.

This difficulty is to be expected when something is started and then set aside for a few years. A check of the receipt for the part the fuel line) show I ordered the right part and supposedly the right one was delivered, but I should have checked it when it arrived. I acquired the old truck as a retirement "learning" project. Did not anticipate selling our home, moving, (no work space now) and taking a 'part time,' "retirement" job where I am working about 45 - 50 hours per week.

Best friend for many years is also about to retire. He may be interested in the truck and I would give it to him if he actually wanted it. He will insist on paying something. He may also decide that it is too much trouble and stand down on my offer. (He is a Chevy / Corvette enthusiast.)

Truck has virtually a new seat following a quality restoration of the seat by an Amish craftsman. Radiator has been refurbished by an older gentleman who still ran an 'old time' radiator business. Just fitted the radiator along with new hoses, belts, engine mounts, and water pumps. I have a new bumper and new (glass ) fenders, new regulator, track cushions and driver side window glass, new brakes master cylinder, wheel cylinders, springs, shoes - installed, and brake lines now being installed. I know, I should not be doing (buying) all this stuff until I know it is going to run, but I am confident it will run. Has good compression on cranking it over.

I am way over my head. I don't have the space, the knowledge, skills, or experience for all that this project requires. I really like the old truck. It is the year and the model I learned to drive on as a kid. A '51 F1 was my dad's first new vehicle. (I was born in '51.) The value and the condition of the truck do not justify the cost of having it hauled to Washington and I don't know what kind of place I will buy or rent when we head out there later this year. I will also be selling my MG and my motorcycle. I will buy new toys when we are settled out west. I will keep the '48 - '56 Forum apprised of progress and potential sale. Someone will get a deal. I won't attempt to recover costs put into the project. I will price it at a fair market value for quick sale when I am ready to part with it.

Again, thank you for your responses.
Rob Blubaugh
1970 MGB
Old 12-13-2014, 10:01 PM
If it rolls, drive it!

After another look at the new fuel line that I am trying to install in my '51 F1, I am more convinced that the vendor shipped the wrong line (about 3 - 4 years ago). A neighbor happened to look at the line and he thought it was way too long and was probably for a pickup with a tank to the rear of the truck, outside the cab.

With so much time elapsed since the purchase of the part I could not expect and adjustment from the vendor, but I am going to measure the one I have with a cloth tape measure and then measure the distance through the route where the line has to go. I think there will be a considerable difference. Do you think a vendor would measure the length of a new line from their stock for my application year to see if it is the same length as the one I have?

When did Ford pickup fuel tanks move reward and outside of the truck cab? I suspect the new line I have is for one of those trucks or possibly for a truck other than an F1.
1970 MGB
Old 12-13-2014, 10:24 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Yours should be 61.5" long, see below
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2014, 07:15 PM
If it rolls, drive it!

Thank you, Ross. The new one was 129" long.

Click the image to open in full size.

At the end of the 5 foot tape. Only half the length of the line.

The new line measuring 129 inches.

The information that FTE members can provide is incredible. Ross provided a chart that indicated that my truck would take a fuel line that was 61.5 inches long. The new one that I had purchased several years ago measures 129" long. The one for a SCHOOL BUS is only 127" long.
1970 MGB
Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 PM
postin' fool

If you can flare tubing, you've just got to cut the gas tank end to fit and re-flare.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
That line is for the flat 6, which goes around the front crossmember and then ponts back to the fuel pump, located right above the right hand motor mount. I agree with Ross in that you can use what you have, cut and bend the line as necessary and add the correct fitting on the end, near the firewall where it should be. After all, half of it is correct.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 PM
If it rolls, drive it!

On your suggestons, I will try to cut and flare.

I do have a tool (inherited from my late father) that looks somewhat like the one that someone posted a photo of in the thread. AXracer copied it again and offered some suggestions. I have never used the flare tool that I have, but there is no time like to present to try it out. I certainly do not want leaks in a fuel line. If the result that I get from cutting and flaring does not make me confident of the a leak proof fitting, I can still buy the vendor / factory prepared line.

I did notice that the 129" new line that I have was itemized on the invoice for $69.95. The "item" was listed as "LH-003," DESCRIPTION: "Main Fuel Line Cab Tank to Pump 2wd - 1pc." Year is listed as 48 - 52 and Model shows "F1, F2." The sales receipt was from "Charp Industries" of Anaheim, CA and was dated 3/8/2010. I do not recall ordering directly from this firm. I think the order was from Blue Oval Truck Parts. They must "job out" some of the things they supply.

Hmmm, I am also having some difficulties fitting brake lines to wheel cylinders (another thread). I see that the wheel cylinders I installed and the "Brake Drum Line Set Shortbed F1 2wd - 5pc" I am now trying to install, are on the same sales receipt. -- Could the parts pullers at Charp Industries have had a bad day all the way around on this order??

My "retirement job" is a parts delivery driver for a local parts distribution firm. When we load our Chevy HHR vehicles with the parts orders, we check all numbers on parts boxes against the invoice ticket. We do it again as we deliver the parts as a "double check". Occasionally, we catch a mistake where the young men who pull parts from the shelves in the warehouse get the wrong part. We also occasionally discover (usually from unhappy parts guys at the garages) that the part in the box is not part that corresponds with the number on the box. (Most of the time when this happens it is on parts that were previously "returns" and it got past our crew who check and restock returned parts.) It is rare that parts are boxed incorrectly from the factory, but that does happen sometimes.

Again, FTE faithful of the 48 - 56 forum, THANK YOU for your suggestions.
1970 MGB
Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit_wheels_fan View Post
After another look at the new fuel line that I am trying to install in my '51 F1, I am more convinced that the vendor shipped the wrong line (about 3 - 4 years ago). A neighbor happened to look at the line and he thought it was way too long and was probably for a pickup with a tank to the rear of the truck, outside the cab.

With so much time elapsed since the purchase of the part I could not expect and adjustment from the vendor, but I am going to measure the one I have with a cloth tape measure and then measure the distance through the route where the line has to go. I think there will be a considerable difference. Do you think a vendor would measure the length of a new line from their stock for my application year to see if it is the same length as the one I have?

When did Ford pickup fuel tanks move reward and outside of the truck cab? I suspect the new line I have is for one of those trucks or possibly for a truck other than an F1.
Hi Rob,
I have the fuel line out of my '50 F2 that should be the same. You are welcome to have it if you need it. It routed to the driver side and up the frame rail then up the firewall.
2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .
Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM