1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:17 PM
northernsuperduty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering

Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy a power steering pump, that would make my steering easier? Or are all the pumps the same?
I have a '08 F350 5.4litre
And find the steering reel stiff almost at the point where I need both hands to turn (not quite lol but close)
Or is that just the way they are,
I use a company truck (yes it's a chev) it's a 2500HD and can steer no problem with one finger
(I don't , but it would be easy)
Any help would be much appreciated..

Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 AM
iamrfixit
Junior User
Have your ball joints ever been changed?

My truck became almost impossible to steer unless the truck was moving. It would steer easily with the wheels off the ground but not with any weight on them. Very common problem, it can get so bad the wheels won't return to center after making a turn. After installing new ball joints I can turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger even at a dead stop.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 PM
northernsuperduty
New User
Originally Posted by iamrfixit
Have your ball joints ever been changed?

My truck became almost impossible to steer unless the truck was moving. It would steer easily with the wheels off the ground but not with any weight on them. Very common problem, it can get so bad the wheels won't return to center after making a turn. After installing new ball joints I can turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger even at a dead stop.

Yes, I just had all 4 ball joints changed, but not the tie rod ends, they seemed fine.
I have not tried turning the steering wheel while the front end was off the ground though,
What else could cause this problem?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:06 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Two possibilities: (1) new ball joints need to break in or (2) the front axle ujoint could use a shot of grease. My steering is tight too and always had issues returning to zero...drove me crazy coming out of curves or switching lanes on the interstate (shouldn't have to yank the darn wheel left to keep it straight after coming out of a right hand turn).

Greased the ujoints to no avail. But I noticed my ball joint dust seals were old and a little cracked. So a month ago I filled a livestock syringe and hypodermic needle with PB Blaster and gave each joint a shot. The steering tightness is a little freer, but the return to center is much improved. In fact, I'm gonna give another "shot" this weekend. My ball joints are soon to be replaced anyway, so I wouldn't suggest this on your new ones. Hopefully yours just need to break in?

FWIW, I do have a one year old reman Motorcraft steering gear, but wish I went with a Red Head as I hear they are light years ahead of OEM and steer much smoother and easier.