Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well do the 460 stock exhaust manifolds flow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 02:43 AM
eagle275
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How well do the 460 stock exhaust manifolds flow?

Still trying to find some decent headers that don't cost an arm & leg. How big of a job is it to swap in headers on these trucks? I have a 96 F350,SRW,LB with C6 4X4. Still working on exhaust and going to install my new BBK throttle body,etc. Put in a K&N years ago, wish I had all of my OEM intake assy, have no clue what I did with it, where it is. Still have to cut horns too. anyway, still in work on all the exhaust and other stuff. mechanic says it will be expensive and I won't see any improvement with the headers on these stock heads. Like I said, still in work. heads can be ported, intake as well, want towing cam,etc. too. Thanks for suggestions.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:21 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They flow much better than car manifolds and from what I've heard it's not worth the cost to upgrade. Run either a 2.5" dual system or a 2.5" into 3.5" single using the flowmaster Y pipe.

Revisit the header idea when you install the cobra jet 514 crate motor

Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 AM
eagle275
More Turbo
Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
They flow much better than car manifolds and from what I've heard it's not worth the cost to upgrade. Run either a 2.5" dual system or a 2.5" into 3.5" single using the flowmaster Y pipe.

Revisit the header idea when you install the cobra jet 514 crate motor

Ten Four! Thanks so much!

Old 12-12-2014, 02:00 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Long tubes.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:37 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by '89F2urd
Long tubes.
Not worth it till your into serious power. There is power to be had from the manifolds back though.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:14 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Not worth it till your into serious power. There is power to be had from the manifolds back though.
Where'd you get that from? Long tubes will work magic on the pedal feel of a bone stock engine.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:15 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Where'd you get that from? Long tubes will work magic on the pedal feel of a bone stock engine.
You'll get about 8-10hp and a similar amount of torque on an otherwise stock engine. But, here's the rub... You'll also be modifying the most restrictive part of the exhaust. So how much power came from the headers?

Given the cost, I don't see the benefit vs reworking the exhaust off the manifolds. Also, unless you get a good set of headers you have the risk of leaks, etc.

I'd personally spend the money elsewhere. At least at first. I'm not saying don't ever do headers, just that I don't see the benefit on a mild build.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:41 PM
eagle275
More Turbo
You'll get about 8-10hp and a similar amount of torque on an otherwise stock engine. But, here's the rub... You'll also be modifying the most restrictive part of the exhaust. So how much power came from the headers?

Given the cost, I don't see the benefit vs reworking the exhaust off the manifolds. Also, unless you get a good set of headers you have the risk of leaks, etc.

I'd personally spend the money elsewhere. At least at first. I'm not saying don't ever do headers, just that I don't see the benefit on a mild build.

Ok, You have my attention. What would you do if you were spending your money on exhaust? I'd really like to know what you'd do. I've been sketching what you told me before. When I do a serious build on my motor later, I will do the serious upgrades then, like a 514 CJ crate. LOL!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by eagle275
Ok, You have my attention. What would you do if you were spending your money on exhaust? I'd really like to know what you'd do. I've been sketching what you told me before. When I do a serious build on my motor later, I will do the serious upgrades then, like a 514 CJ crate. LOL!
If you want dual exhaust just run two 2.5" pipes. Make sure they're mandrel bent, no crush bends. For a single, run two 2.5" head pipes into a Flowmaster 2.5 in, 3.5 out scavenger Y pipe. Then run 3.5" exhaust from there. Flowmaster has a universal tailpipe in 3.5" that's a weld together that'll work great.

The single will boost low end more than the duals, but not by a huge amount. I'm planning the exact single system I listed above with a Flowmaster 70 muffler on my 86 with a 400hp 396ci stroker motor. As I got older I lost my taste for really loud exhausts, so if you want something louder you can look at a 40 or 50 series. I do plan on adding in a cutout though, so I can have some fun at cruise night, etc.

Don't get me wrong, headers make power, just at stock or near stock power levels it's not enough to warrant the hassle and expense. With my 396 stroker I'm going to be running factory manifolds. They fit better, they don't leak, they're quieter... So I'll be leaving some power on the table. It's not a drag truck...

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
If you want dual exhaust just run two 2.5" pipes. Make sure they're mandrel bent, no crush bends. For a single, run two 2.5" head pipes into a Flowmaster 2.5 in, 3.5 out scavenger Y pipe. Then run 3.5" exhaust from there. Flowmaster has a universal tailpipe in 3.5" that's a weld together that'll work great.

The single will boost low end more than the duals, but not by a huge amount. I'm planning the exact single system I listed above with a Flowmaster 70 muffler on my 86 with a 400hp 396ci stroker motor. As I got older I lost my taste for really loud exhausts, so if you want something louder you can look at a 40 or 50 series. I do plan on adding in a cutout though, so I can have some fun at cruise night, etc.

Don't get me wrong, headers make power, just at stock or near stock power levels it's not enough to warrant the hassle and expense. With my 396 stroker I'm going to be running factory manifolds. They fit better, they don't leak, they're quieter... So I'll be leaving some power on the table. It's not a drag truck...

8-12 hp from full exhaust on a 460? I think not...I gained more than that on my abysmal stock 302. I cant attest to exact hp/tq gains of a stock 460, but if you bolt on long tubes, you *will* feel it both in the seat of the pants *and* your right foot at cruise and light acceleration.

Long tubes are the single best modification to any engine without crackin anything open. and, of course, the more radical the engine, the more radical the gain from long tubes. in addition, we arent *solely* concerned about WOT power when bolting long tubes into a truck. its actually quite the contrary, part throttle improvement is the goal, and perhaps the most noticeable result.

that said, boltin up a set of long tubes isn't all about maximizing flow, which they do best vs all others, but maximizing scavenging to optimize torque and produce a lovely "barely cracked" throttle pedal feel. its not about bolting up long tubes on an otherwise stock engine and all the sudden burn the tires off, its about grunt, mileage, and overall driving experience. the benefits offered by long tubes cant be matched by anything else....

you could probably stand to gain 25 hp and gobs of tq with long tubes an a 400 hp big cube engine over manifolds. ive seen more gains on rollers with long tube swaps on engines with much less hp, and less cubes...but they start with L and end with 1 so it may not be fair...

so, whether or not you think its worth putting long tubes on a stock 460 sounds like a preference opinion based off leaks, hassle, and expense. there is no single mod that will outperform long tubes for the money and ease of installation...besides maybe a cam swap (although cam and long tubes together is a formula for impressive gains) and nothing will get you a better pedal feel at part throttle (excluding twin screw superchargers)

I can respect your opinion...and am not trying to have a pissin match with ya. just stating my experiences.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I gotta say when I put the Banks stainless headers on my 96 I was DISAPPOINTED in how LITTLE I felt. I honestly felt more gain by putting on the BBK throttle body.

But I did not put the headers on for power, I put them on do do away with the problematic cracking manifolds

Old 12-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Iversen-fords
Elder User
I installed L&L headers on my 97 F250 a few years back and loved it. I removed all the smog stuff and air injection while doing the install. I ran a 3 inch single all the way back. I had it dynoed after a couple of yrs and it put out 231hp 376 tq. It cost over a $1k do the whole exhaust system but I still think it was worth it.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:39 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Iversen-fords
I installed L&L headers on my 97 F250 a few years back and loved it. I removed all the smog stuff and air injection while doing the install. I ran a 3 inch single all the way back. I had it dynoed after a couple of yrs and it put out 231hp 376 tq. It cost over a $1k do the whole exhaust system but I still think it was worth it.

ive heard that the L&L headers are the best choice for the 460.

impressive numbers, considering Boport on here laid down 207/319 with deleted cat and a free flowing exhaust. wonder where all your extra power came from

I think I need to stop dickin around and build a 460....

Old 12-20-2014, 02:20 PM
choate
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you guys are talking about a 460 but I could swear someone told me that with long tubes I'd pick up like 35tq from around 1000-1500 rpms. I was planning on doing that someday. Mine is a 351. Maybe their manifolds just suck idk?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:31 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

8-12 hp from full exhaust on a 460?
No, just for the headers. I've seen several dyno's and have heard from several people who've been disappointed after putting headers on that at stock power levels it's my opinion not to change them. Change the rest of the exhaust first.

For me, it's not worth the hassle. But that's me and I'm offering a counterpoint argument.

Quick Reply: How well do the 460 stock exhaust manifolds flow?