6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

I need honest opinions about the 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rubiconrod
Not a bumper pull but my fiver is just shy of 11k per the scale. And I have 3.73's (soon to be 4.30's)

NICE setup. How does it tow that load? Does it feel extremely strained like a 5.4 would?

Originally Posted by Pit Crew
Get the 4.30 gears and you`ll be fine. There isn`t that much if any in mpg between the two.
Good that Is what I was hoping to hear. If i get the 6.2 it will definitely have the 4.30 rear end.
Originally Posted by Powelligator
I might be wrong but of people who have posted in these threads that tow any loads I think that nobody who has 4.30's ever wished they had had 3.73's but most people with 3.73's wished they had 4.30's.

RubiconRod above with his truck in Red Rock Canyon is validation of my theory.

Joe
Good point, If i get the 6.2 it will definitely have the lower gears. I am just worried I will miss the power of my diesel too much.

Originally Posted by rvpuller
I tow a 16K 5th wheel all the time and not just short distances because we live in our trailer 8 months out of the year amd travel the country. We gross 24K and it never has let us down its always what we have asked it to do. When I was in business (refrigeration and electrical)I ran gas motors because it was cheaper and less down time compared to diesel, I also pulled trailers off and on during a weeks time, my truck also weighed 9600 before i even hooked on to a trailer. I wouldn't even consider 3.73 gears 4.30 is the only way to go if your going to work it.

Denny
That is quite the load! that is good to know that the 6.2 can do that, because my 5.4 would not be able to move.

Originally Posted by allagash350
I also land scape and mow, although I am still solo. I traded my 7.3 in for an 11 350 reg cab with the 6.2. I have 3.73 and I am still happy with the performance. I tow similar weights daily and it is great usually around 10 mpg less depending on the load. I have towed my 32 foot fifth wheel with no problems. The truck has been plowing this year with a boss 9,2 vxt, and a 1.75 yds stainless sander. The guy at the pit thinks he is doing me a favor when he puts over two yards of wet sand in...but you know what the truck handles it. Between the plow and sander it is probably close to 6k. If you are questioning the diesel let me just say this, listen to your gut.
Nice to hear from someone who uses the truck just like I plan to. If you had to do it again would you go diesel or is the 6.2 very capable towing daily?

oh and two yards of wet sand weighs north of 3000 pounds, then plus the SS sander, you probably had close to 7k in the bed haha I have done it too
Originally Posted by DCP
I've towed a lot of smaller trailers with a 5.4L, but it was with a 1/2 ton with 3.55 gears, and yes, it was a dog. 4.30s should come standard on all heavy duty gassers. I honestly don't know why any one would choose the 3.73s over the 4.30s. If the truth would be known, you probably get worst gas mileage with3.73s because the motor has to work harder.
I agree, I know my 5.4 with 3.73 gets the same or worse than my buddies with 4.10 or whatever gears they put in the pickups in the 4. something range

Old 12-10-2014, 01:49 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
I just feel like for how my business plan has changed the 6.2 will save me some money, mostly because I will be keeping it for a LONG time without selling it, and the biggest reason is because whenever i get a diesel i cannot keep it stock! I always get the mod bug and end up dumping a few thousand into it for things it did not "need". The gas engine will cure this for me.

Now I know because of resale the diesel would save me a lot of money because of better fuel mileage and the fact that they sell for almost 10k more for a few year old truck around here, but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time and just handing it down to another crew.

Why the he!! do dealers only stock 3.73?? I really wish I could get my truck on the lot without ordering it, but all the trucks are 3.73 and all the XL models have cloth. and with this truck i want either leather or vinyl. I am sick of cloth and all the stains from using it as a work truck. all the dealers order the xl with cloth in them.

I want a 6.2 XL Crew cab short bed, vinyl seats, power equipment with the appearance package, and manual shift 4x4. in black or gray. Built a few on the website and i love the chrome surround on the outside of the black gril.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:10 PM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
Back in 2000 I bought a F350 CC LB off a lot in Texas with 4.30 gears (dealer swap) and a 2000 DRW SC V10 with 4.30 gears off a lot in Oregon. In 2013 I tried to find a 6.2 with 4.30 gears and there were none anywhere to be found in any trim level, dealers all over the country don't have a clue.

Denny

Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by landscapeguy
NICE setup. How does it tow that load? Does it feel extremely strained like a 5.4 would?
Never owne a 5.4 so can't help you there. My truck does surprisingly well with the 3.73's. Gets up to cruising speed with no problems at all. Hills is where the challenge is. I learnt from others on this forum to use manual mode and once I got the hang of it the truck does really well. My truck pulls up steep grades very very well between 3,500 and 4,000 RPM's. That being said I am still going to get 4.30 gears in a few month just to make my towing experience that more pleasurable. It's worth the grand to me to do it (I have a 2WD). The 5 Star tune I got helped as well. The worst I've gotten towing was 7.5 MPG with a strong headwind and holding tanks pretty full (was over 11k that time). The best I've seen is 9.5 MPG, same road as the 7.5MPG but empty tanks and no headwind. This was a 240 mile one way trip.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by landscapeguy
Why the he!! do dealers only stock 3.73?? I really wish I could get my truck on the lot without ordering it, but all the trucks are 3.73 and all the XL models have cloth. and with this truck i want either leather or vinyl. I am sick of cloth and all the stains from using it as a work truck. all the dealers order the xl with cloth in them.

I want a 6.2 XL Crew cab short bed, vinyl seats, power equipment with the appearance package, and manual shift 4x4. in black or gray. Built a few on the website and i love the chrome surround on the outside of the black gril.
I feel your pain. Back in early October I was ready to buy a truck and I was looking for a CCSB with the 6.2 and the 4.30 gears. I was looking for either an XL or XLT without a bunch of extra stuff. My local dealer looked through the inventory of all of the dealers in the country and said that there was not a single truck that matched my configuration anywhere in the country. I ended up ordering my truck and picked it up 7 weeks to the day after I ordered it.

I am coming from a 2003 SCSB with the 5.4/ZF-6/4.88 gears with 315/75R16 tires (4.30 equivalent gearing) and I bought the new truck specifically for towing a trailer. I haven't hooked up a trailer to the new truck yet, but just driving it around empty, I can tell that it will be a world of difference from the 5.4.

I think that you will be very happy with the performance of the 6.2 with the 4.30 gears.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:07 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
That is great to know, for now my mind is made up on the 6.2.

Really only 7 weeks? Seems to be a bit shorter than the wait for the diesel I was seeing over on that forum, but it was about a year or two ago

Old 12-10-2014, 05:14 PM
71'3604speed
Senior User
get the 6.2. I have about 15,000 on my f-250 reg. cab. It is an extremely well built chain driven roller motor.

My friends all have new diesels and are mad as hell when my stock big block beats them at stoplights and gets 13 mpg doing it.

As far as pulling goes....Here in Missouri there are a lot of two things: hills and tractors. Smashing a 6 ton john deere on a gooseneck and doing 10mph over is a daily thing.

I have 3.73 gears in mine even though i ordered the other heavy options. They get the job done just fine with 6th gear locked out. that being said get the 4.30 gears and im sure you wont regret it, mileage shouldnt be your concern anyway. Good luck

Old 12-10-2014, 06:41 PM
jeepnford
Senior User
I had to order my truck with 4.30's, couldn't find one. Haven't regretted it one bit. If you order now it will take a couple more weeks due to the end of year plant shutdowns.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 PM
DCP
Senior User
At the end of the day, it just makes more since to me to special order a new car/truck than to buy one off the lot. The price will be the same and then you can get all the options you want. Plus, when you are more educated about that new vehicle that you want, more than the salesman is, you can cut out the song and dance and get down to the brass tax.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:06 PM
LCT
Junior User
I have a 13' cc special order with the 4:30. When I was going from dealer to dealer looking for a gas truck the sales folks all strongly suggested the 3:73s. Folks on this forum pointed me in the right direction. I regularly tow about 9Glbs, at xs on interstate doing 65 plus mph. I live in FL, so no hills, just flat land. Pros: solid V-8, strong, trouble free, inexpensive to operate and not complex at all. Con: She is a thirsty beast for sure, wish she had a larger tank for my long hauls down to the Keys. Overall, I am very happy with her. My towing needs are such that an expensive complex diesel did not make sense. I never towed anything heavier so I cannot help you there, but she has no problem at all with my boat/trailer/gear. Good luck.
P.S. closing in on 20G miles and never been in shop other than a wheel balance......

Old 12-11-2014, 06:29 PM
rjcorazza
Senior User
With the 6.2l even with the 4.30 rear you will need a dually to tow 13k unless you are talking 5th wheel.
I tow around 8500lbs with my 6.2l and 3.73 rear comfortably. The biggest complaint I hear is the high engine RPMs on the highway, but that doesn't bother me.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by rjcorazza
With the 6.2l even with the 4.30 rear you will need a dually to tow 13k unless you are talking 5th wheel.
I tow around 8500lbs with my 6.2l and 3.73 rear comfortably. The biggest complaint I hear is the high engine RPMs on the highway, but that doesn't bother me.
Why not? I have been doing it for years, and most people I know do too.. Payload is over 4k and tongue weight would be under 3k towing 13k pounds.

But yeah, high Rpms on the highway hills I suppose I can deal with, I am feeling very confident in the 6.2 thanks to you guys! Now Icannot wait until plow season is over to order this thing!

Old 12-12-2014, 03:09 AM
Powelligator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, a lot of people mention that the 6.2 likes to rev out on the highway and climbing hills in lower gears, and I'm certainly one of them. Thing is, what rarely gets mentioned is how smooth the 6.2 is at high RPM's. You can hear it, but it's not like the big time roar of the older 460 that's in my other truck. The engine is definitely designed to rev high, and it shows.

Joe

Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,606 Likes on 1,640 Posts
IMG956829.jpg Photo by SavageNFS | Photobucket
Only Problem with the 6.2 is that one doesn't get the reaction in the above link!!!!!
If I could have found a 6.2 dually with 4.30 gears on a lot, I would probably be driving one instead of the diesel. I just didn't want to have one I ordered show up way too late for my schedule!!!!!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 AM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Powelligator
You know, a lot of people mention that the 6.2 likes to rev out on the highway and climbing hills in lower gears, and I'm certainly one of them. Thing is, what rarely gets mentioned is how smooth the 6.2 is at high RPM's. You can hear it, but it's not like the big time roar of the older 460 that's in my other truck. The engine is definitely designed to rev high, and it shows.

Joe
I don't find that it wants to rev on the hwy, I run 2K at 65 running in 6th and 2.5K in 5th, it's just purring under the hood.

Denny

Quick Reply: I need honest opinions about the 6.2