6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

04 6.0 with NO compression on 6 Cylinders, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:44 PM
sosasser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Don't really think you need one!
Yes you do need one. The little plastic rivet shaped thing with the spring below it pushes up on the hole inside at the top of the oil filter. If it is missing oil will freely flow through the whole assembly unfiltered.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:46 PM
sosasser
New User
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Has he performed a compression check yet?
No I haven't. Please be patient with me.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 PM
sosasser
New User
Brother in-law says he has a FICM that came out of a running truck that he will bring over. That should make quick work of that testing phase.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To most of us the compression test should have been the first test run. This would have verified or eliminated actual compression as a factor. Actual compression loss verses seems like loss of compression.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:20 PM
sosasser
New User
40 years around engines, experience tells me there is no compression. So if in the case that I am right, which I will be, what will you say then?

Old 12-14-2014, 01:36 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if there is no compression as you say, why are we here?

Get an engine, or rebuild that one...

Old 12-14-2014, 01:41 PM
sosasser
New User
My question must have been lost.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:28 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The one thing in my 53 years as a diesel mechanic that the 6.0 proved to me is never assume anything, always verify.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:27 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
I purchased some parts from Jason ^^^^^ several months ago. All his parts come from a local Ford dealer in Tennessee. My experience with Jason was positive, he even allowed me to return some parts I didn't end up using. Just thought I would through that out there.
Same here. I've had positive experiences with Jason, but have never bought from him through ebay. I always just call him. He even have me his cell. I think his website is swagperformanceparts.com or something like that....but the website sure needs work. Regardless, Jason's an honest guy.

He worked at Miracle Ford in Galletin TN for 12 years and quit about a year ago to run his own parts business. I understand he left on good terms because the dealership gave me his phone number. The dealership doesn't carry the performance parts now that they carried when Jason was there. He has great prices, does not sell aftermarket parts that do not work (Dorman) and had great service. The only negative I've found is he doesn't have a good source for the small electrical aftermarket parts. Took him over a week to find an eot pigtail, and that's a standard alliant part available at most diesel stores However, once he found it, it was cheaper than almost anyone else.

Back to the regular program.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:20 PM
sosasser
New User
Well, still don't have access to a compression tester so that is pending. Doing what I can with the tools that I have, which includes this forum and the wonderful internet.

Pulled the drain plug and only oil came out which is good. My brother in-law pointed out to me that most often when a head gasket blows, coolant doesn't actually get into the oil. Even if it goes into cylinders, it wont seep past the rings typically. Usually the only time coolant ends up in the oil is when the egr system fails. He also said that one time he changed the HG's on a 6.0 that had sat for a while. After he got it all back together it took nearly 40 minutes of cranking (not all at one time) to get the engine to finally start. Kind of goes with what Cheezit mentioned.

Then I decided to pull the intake tube, spray a bunch of WD-40 in there and see if I could get it to fire that way. In doing so, I inadvertently discovered, that I could hear a lot of compression leaking back by some of the intake valves. Maybe you can hear it in the video.

I'm getting closer. Please be patient with me. I do appreciate your help.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/...psc49e5a60.jpg

http://vid1314.photobucket.com/album...psrngx6gx5.mp4

Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I wouldn't say that is 6 cylinders down. I'd say about two or three cylinders are down, but there are done down.

Also from the sound, I am confident your injectors are not firing. There are several potential causes for this. I would suggest you get some way to read live data. I think you are headed for some level of tear down, and you will need live sensor data to know what you need to repair. You only want to go in once.

The big question you need to answer is , "is the loss in compression from a HG failure or cylinder/piston damage." That answer may determine your next step. I don't know how to answer that question without pulling the heads.

With some exceptions, ruptured oil coolers get oil in the coolant. Ruptured egr chambers cause head gaskets to blow and can get oil in the engine. Badly blown HGs can pour coolant into the cylinders. I've seen it happen. 6.0s are a little different animal.

I only ask this next question because there are about 10 guys on this forum that can almost fix a 6.0 by listening to it and giving it a long hard stare. These same guys are willing to share their knowledge with anyone willing to listen and learn. These same guys will (and have) travel hundreds of miles to help others in need (or have been ripped off by either ignorant or crooked mechanics).

I quickly learned that a lot of what I know about other engines does not necessarily apply to the 6.0. This is especially true where blown head gaskets are concerned.

How much experience does your brother in law have with the 6.0?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:39 PM
sosasser
New User
Originally Posted by BryanStein

How much experience does your brother in law have with the 6.0?
I know he's got a fair amount of experience with a lot of different Diesel motors, mostly Ford, but I couldn't say how much specifically with the 6.0.
Problem is, to get his *** over here and take a look is like pulling teeth. I even told him there is plenty of beer in the frig and still couldn't get him to drive the 5 miles.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:28 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sosasser

I know he's got a fair amount of experience with a lot of different Diesel motors, mostly Ford, but I couldn't say how much specifically with the 6.0.
Problem is, to get his *** over here and take a look is like pulling teeth. I even told him there is plenty of beer in the frig and still couldn't get him to drive the 5 miles.
Don't take this the wrong way but that made me laugh out loud!!

2006 F350 4X4

Old 12-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by sosasser
Take the beer to him get him drunk and push him into the trunk and
take him home. Offer some nice steak as he sobers up and before he
starts to get hot and kick at the trunk lid. Good BBQ smells can go wonders.
Pipe in the BBQ smells into the trunk.

Sean

Old 12-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That isn't turning over right. Sounds slow and like you have some valve or rod issues.

Pull the rocker box covers and check for valve damage!

Pull batteries and have them load tested.

And I have to ask......do you like chasing your tail in circles? You have been all over the place and have very little forward progress.

Quick Reply: 04 6.0 with NO compression on 6 Cylinders, Why?