Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3 Starts, Straight to Crazy RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM
PaytonK.79Ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 Starts, Straight to Crazy RPM's

Hey guys, I have a 7.3 naturally aspirated with BB code injectors. Went to start it up one day and it grenaded the IP.

No big deal. I bought a used pump for $50 and it supposedly ran when it was pulled. Got it put on and started it up. Once it hit, RPM's shot through the roof. My tach doesn't work so I have no clue how fast it was turning.

Anyone know what the deal is? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like someone took the top cover off and didn't reseat the fuel shut off when they put it back on.

Edit: unless the truck still shuts off with the key, then the FSS is still working. In that case I'd say your throttle cable isn't routed properly and it's holding the throttle open.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:42 PM
PaytonK.79Ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
Sounds like someone took the top cover off and didn't reseat the fuel shut off when they put it back on.

Edit: unless the truck still shuts off with the key, then the FSS is still working. In that case I'd say your throttle cable isn't routed properly and it's holding the throttle open.
Thanks for the reply! I did have that happen once before. The first time I started it with this pump, I wasn't able to kill it with the key. So I pulled the top off and the FSS was seized so i put my spare one one. Now it shuts off with the key but RPM's still race all the while the throttle lever is in the idle position. Some of the governor linkage was way out of adjustment and I tried adjusting that but it didn't seem to help any. I'm wondering if that's where my problem lies.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am very much NOT an expert when it comes to IP internals, however this manual may help. Section 1, sub-section H explains the operation of the me mechanical governor used to control engine speed and has detailed pictures and diagrams of each part.

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=730171

I don't know where you sourced the IP, but if there is a chance someone already monkey wrenched it you might be better off getting another IP... I just pause to wonder how else the governor linkage would get out of adjustment and why the pump was being monkeyed with in the first place...

Old 12-10-2014, 04:48 PM
PaytonK.79Ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ford F834
I am very much NOT an expert when it comes to IP internals, however this manual may help. Section 1, sub-section H explains the operation of the me mechanical governor used to control engine speed and has detailed pictures and diagrams of each part.

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=730171

I don't know where you sourced the IP, but if there is a chance someone already monkey wrenched it you might be better off getting another IP... I just pause to wonder how else the governor linkage would get out of adjustment and why the pump was being monkeyed with in the first place...
I'm not a pump expert either but I'm not afraid to tear into one. I pulled my grenaded pump apart and they're not terribly difficult. I got this pump mainly as a core because my original one isn't rebuildable. It looks really good and has a reman tag on it. Not sure how long ago it was rebuilt though. I don't think there is a date on it. I just thought maybe if there was a pump expert on here that they could tell me the issue. I would think its a small problem because it runs the truck great! Just at WAY too high RPM's.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd check the governor weights/linkage -- you can see that under the cover at the 'front' of the IP.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:06 PM
PaytonK.79Ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
I'd check the governor weights/linkage -- you can see that under the cover at the 'front' of the IP.
I looked at it briefly. The flyweights looked fine but up top, the governor arm did not contact the linkage up top. I adjusted the linkage so it contacted the arm but it didn't help. I'm sure the problem lies here somewhere and maybe I just don't know how to fix it.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:26 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R@D performance 90cc pump for Christmas....

Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Look at this:
Perhaps it will help.