1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Starting troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:44 PM
dbdbb
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting troubles

Hello all, I have a 95 F-350. I recently put the body and engine from a 2 wheel F-350 onto a same year 4X4 F-350 frame. I changed both the ECM and PCM from the 4X4 frames cab into the 2 wheel cab (4X4 is auto, while the 2 wheel was man.) I now have a 7.3 4X4 auto.
The truck starts right up when cold, not plugged in with one cycle of wait to start during 10 degree weather, it starts right up when hot, just shut off.
If it sits for a half hour after operating temperature, it will not start!!
I don't know why this type turned bold, after it cools back down to cold, it will start right up again. When it's been sitting for half hour or so, it spins over really fast, just won't fire. No smoke or anything.

The engine had a fresh oil change with Rotella 15w/40 while out, and the oil is full at the moment. I swapped out the injectors from a smooth running engine, (previous rough and violent shake at idle)with all new injector O-rings. Less than 150 miles since all this work was done. There are no mods other than adding the BB into the pressure regulator.

Bear with me, as I don't know what an ICP or IRC is or where they are located. I did a search on here for my problem, and I found these initials with no definitions. All Greek to me.

I have a low dollar OBDII scanner, no codes with the key on, engine not running, I tried to run a scan with the engine running, and the scan kills the engine, just like you shut the key off then turn the key back on.

My question is, why won't it start in the in-between range of temperature. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. D.B.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:01 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Your code reader probably doesn't link to the pcm. These trucks seem to take a special breed of scanner. When you put the new orings on did you oil them up real good. If there is a few damaged ones it could cause this. Try unplugging the icp (injection control pressure sensor I think) it's mounted on the driver side head towards the front. I'm pretty sure it's a round plug. If it has any oil in it it's probably due for replacement. Ipr is injection pressure regulator mounted right below the hpop. It could be ipr orings as well. I have the exact issues you have and am planning to address them Wednesday. Whomever figures it out first please post it

Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Plumb a mechanical oil pressure gauge. You'll need a gauge good for at least 3000 psi, a whip (hose), and a male end of #5 ORB.

Either that, or check what your ICP is reading by hooking up a scan tool. You can use a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle and the Android app "Torque Pro", if you have Android. The app costs $5 and the Bluetooth dongle is roughly $12 on amazon. I HIGHLY recommend it; it is the most impressive android app that I've ever seen.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 PM
dbdbb
Senior User

Injector O-rings were dipped in oil before installing on injectors, then the injectors were slathered in oil before installing in the heads. I drove the truck today to warm it up and then let it sit, it ended up sitting longer than I wanted before I could try to start it again. It didn't start, so I unplugged the ICP (I think, the plug with 3 wires going into a round device on the driver side front of head), there was no oil in the plug, but the engine started with that unplugged. I don't know if that being unplugged is what caused the engine to be able to start, or if it had just cooled down enough to start again. It was much colder today than it was yesterday, 25 Deg. today as opposed to 38 Deg. yesterday.

Lemonshindig; What is a #5 ORB? And what hole would I screw this into? I will look into the dongle, but I have no idea what that is. I do have an Android phone and an Android tablet, so I will look into the app. as well. Thanks guys for your help so far, D.B.

Last edited by dbdbb; 12-09-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: wrong word.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:34 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
It's a -5(size) O-Ring Boss fitting

Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
If you can get it to not start then unplug the ICP sensor.if it does start then you may just have a bad sensor.when it is unplugged the pcm assumes a certain amount of oil pressure.yours is most likely and telling the pcm there is not enough pressure to fire the injectors when in fact there is but the signal is incorrect.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 PM
dbdbb
Senior User

I tried unplugging the ICP today when it didn't want to start, and it didn't help, still no start. I have ordered the OBD II bluetooth dongle, it should be here Tuesday. I don't need the truck for daily driving, so I think I will wait until I can see what the computer is showing.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 PM
dbdbb
Senior User

Originally Posted by lemonshindig
Plumb a mechanical oil pressure gauge. You'll need a gauge good for at least 3000 psi, a whip (hose), and a male end of #5 ORB.

Either that, or check what your ICP is reading by hooking up a scan tool. You can use a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle and the Android app "Torque Pro", if you have Android. The app costs $5 and the Bluetooth dongle is roughly $12 on amazon. I HIGHLY recommend it; it is the most impressive android app that I've ever seen.
I got the dongle and app today, it doesn't seem to be very compatible with my truck. Only thing that shows is the rpm. If I try to run a scan, if I'm not holding a high rpm, it will kill the engine. Then it says $06 can't something with ecu.
I may have to try a manual gauge.
I haven't driven it with the Torque app running, maybe try that tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 AM
dbdbb
Senior User

The small O-ring was broken on the IPR, so far replacing that seems to have fixed my problem. It started again after 5 and 15 minutes, would not do that before.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:02 AM
dbdbb
Senior User

Name:  ForumRunner_20150412_110113.png
Views: 93
Size:  444.6 KB

Cheap fix.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:28 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry for my ignorance but whats the ipr?

Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Injection pressure regulator

Old 04-12-2015, 06:02 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thankyou^^

Old 04-12-2015, 09:33 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were is the ipr located

Old 04-12-2015, 10:35 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
Were is the ipr located
In the back of the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump)

Quick Reply: Starting troubles