Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CCV mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:55 PM
7.3-Stroker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCV mod

Can anyone help me with my mod. Does anyone know where I can buy the 4" coupler piece in between the intake housing and the turbo, without the CCV hole? Anyone help or direction would be great.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I bought a piece of exhaust pipe from a local muffler shop. I think it is 4" diameter, but you better measure because it has been a few years.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you can just put a cap on the tube on the stock piece. Parts store sell them in the Help section.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not just route the gasses back to the fitting after whatever catch can you've decided to use? Doing so lowers crankcase pressure, and that's never a bad thing.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:49 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
CCV open to atmosphere sucks. It smokes, it stinks and it makes a mess of the underside of your truck. There is no good reason to do this IMHO.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
You should not smell in the truck blowing. And should not dirty truck keepers under hood clean inter cooler clean and turbo and motor from eating the puke. Mine smells like fries onion rings and chicken. Yours should not be bad sky ski

Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cracker 73
Mine smells like fries onion rings and chicken.
You can smell the veg oil you're burning through the CCV?! That's some serious blowby!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
Mixed with exh yes blow by is more on b 100 but smells sweet sorta��and cheap

Old 12-10-2014, 06:46 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 7.3-Stroker
Can anyone help me with my mod. Does anyone know where I can buy the 4" coupler piece in between the intake housing and the turbo, without the CCV hole? Anyone help or direction would be great.
I just went to a metal fabrication shop and got a scrap piece of 4" tubing- muffler shops should have some too.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 PM
slpcth
Senior User
Hi, This my first post. New to diesel but have been building gas trucks, cars and boats most of my life. I put together a CCV mod that passes CA smog and removes all of the oil out of the intake tract. I tried the home made PVC canister with every combination and type of scrubber pad but they all let some oil thru. What I did was turn the doghouse around, run the hose over the master cylinder and into a Moroso air/oil separator that I attached to the outside of my Volant air box. I used a 4 inch black ABS union (it is the perfect length and diameter) and glued in a 1 inch PVC elbow that is threaded on 1 side. Cut the threads flush on the inside. I used the green silicone heater hose that Napa sells. I then ran the hose from the air/oil separator to the the union. The 3/4 inch hose pushes snugly into the 1 inch PVC fitting.

I have been running this setup for about 1 3/4 years. Passed CA smog with no problem. It is nicely contained under the hood. I empty the oil canister every 3000 miles (every oil change). You could wipe a white rag through my intake and will come out just as clean as you put it in.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by slpcth
Hi, This my first post. New to diesel but have been building gas trucks, cars and boats most of my life. I put together a CCV mod that passes CA smog and removes all of the oil out of the intake tract. I tried the home made PVC canister with every combination and type of scrubber pad but they all let some oil thru. What I did was turn the doghouse around, run the hose over the master cylinder and into a Moroso air/oil separator that I attached to the outside of my Volant air box. I used a 4 inch black ABS union (it is the perfect length and diameter) and glued in a 1 inch PVC elbow that is threaded on 1 side. Cut the threads flush on the inside. I used the green silicone heater hose that Napa sells. I then ran the hose from the air/oil separator to the the union. The 3/4 inch hose pushes snugly into the 1 inch PVC fitting.

I have been running this setup for about 1 3/4 years. Passed CA smog with no problem. It is nicely contained under the hood. I empty the oil canister every 3000 miles (every oil change). You could wipe a white rag through my intake and will come out just as clean as you put it in.
There are currently no CCV catch cans that are actually CARB legal that I am aware of. You would only pass while using one if the tech did not see it, or if they are clueless about how a CCV system is supposed to work. In order to actually be legal here, you would need a CARB EO # on the part.

That being said, you can get away with it at some smog shops as long as it routes back to the intake.

A question for you though... What size hose barbs come on the Moroso can? I did a long search for a CCV catch can that had at least 3/4" hose inlet/outlet connections. There were only a couple available, and the Moroso wasn't one of them. You do not want to neck down to a smaller size. This causes restriction, which causes oil leaks.

I made my kit using the Mann-Hummel Provent 200. It has 1" inlet/outlet connections, and costs about the same (if not less) than the Moroso can.

Here is a pic...

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 12-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
ccv was the worst mod i ever did.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
CCV mods are legal in CA and do not require an EO number as long as they are a closed system. Here is a similar discussion on this some time ago. Refer to post #20

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mod-mod-2.html

Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 PM
slpcth
Senior User
[QUOTE=Justin@DP-Tuner;14896185]There are currently no CCV catch cans that are actually CARB legal that I am aware of. You would only pass while using one if the tech did not see it, or if they are clueless about how a CCV system is supposed to work. In order to actually be legal here, you would need a CARB EO # on the part.

That being said, you can get away with it at some smog shops as long as it routes back to the intake.

A question for you though... What size hose barbs come on the Moroso can? I did a long search for a CCV catch can that had at least 3/4" hose inlet/outlet connections. There were only a couple available, and the Moroso wasn't one of them. You do not want to neck down to a smaller size. This causes restriction, which causes oil leaks.

As you state, the smog shop I use feels it is legal as long as it routes back to the intake and is functional. He passed me when I had my homemade catch can in the system. My system is totally visible and has been checked, inspected and passed twice by the smog tech so far.

The Moroso separator that I used came with 1/2 NPT fittings. I made adapters for the 3/4 inch heater hose to fit. Before the Moroso I experimented with an air compressor style water separating filter. It also had 1/4 NPT fittings. It worked well and pulled a lot of oil out of the air vapor, that is why I decided to invest in the Moroso. It was the only dedicated oil/air separator I could find. Overall, I have been operating for nearly 3 years with filters with less than 3/4 inch inlets/outlets with no oil leaks. My oil fill cap will not blow off the oil fill tube when set upside down. I was worried about a restriction causing excess pressure also, but it hasn't for me. My truck is an '03, basically stock power wise. CAI,exhaust,HPX,coolant filter, oil by-pass filter, external tranny filter, tranny cooler.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
CCV mods are legal in CA and do not require an EO number as long as they are a closed system. Here is a similar discussion on this some time ago. Refer to post #20

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mod-mod-2.html
That was 2 years ago. Smog techs also did not have a problem with me running a 6637 back then, but now they do. I can only assume that things have changed, including how they state the legality of CCV mods. I will look into it and thanks for the link to the thread.

I only brought it to attention because multiple retailers/dealers will not ship the BD CCV kit to California since it does not have a CARB EO number.

[QUOTE=slpcth;14896568]
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
There are currently no CCV catch cans that are actually CARB legal that I am aware of. You would only pass while using one if the tech did not see it, or if they are clueless about how a CCV system is supposed to work. In order to actually be legal here, you would need a CARB EO # on the part.

As you state, the smog shop I use feels it is legal as long as it routes back to the intake and is functional. He passed me when I had my homemade catch can in the system. My system is totally visible and has been checked, inspected and passed twice by the smog tech so far.

The Moroso separator that I used came with 1/2 NPT fittings. I made adapters for the 3/4 inch heater hose to fit. Before the Moroso I experimented with an air compressor style water separating filter. It also had 1/4 NPT fittings. It worked well and pulled a lot of oil out of the air vapor, that is why I decided to invest in the Moroso. It was the only dedicated oil/air separator I could find. Overall, I have been operating for nearly 3 years with filters with less than 3/4 inch inlets/outlets with no oil leaks. My oil fill cap will not blow off the oil fill tube when set upside down. I was worried about a restriction causing excess pressure also, but it hasn't for me. My truck is an '03, basically stock power wise. CAI,exhaust,HPX,coolant filter, oil by-pass filter, external tranny filter, tranny cooler.
I have been passed with my homemade kit before too. However, I have failed with it as well. It really depends on the smog tech you get and what kind of mood he is in that day.

Good to know on your restriction findings. A few guys I know have used 5/8" hose and catch cans since that was all they could find for oil rated and before long oil started coming out of places it should not have been.

I know there has been research done in that past about this. I am sure it is on this forum somewhere.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com

Quick Reply: CCV mod