Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake disaster, seeking suggestions

Old 12-08-2014, 07:21 AM
djnikochan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake disaster, seeking suggestions

Good morning Ford Truck enthusiasts!

I've been scanning threads here for a long time, but never joined and posted until now. Feel free to make jokes about the newbie joining just because they had a problem.

I've got a '93 F-250 XLT 2WD with the 351W, aka 5.8 V8. Meet Felicity Fussytruck.

I picked her up for a meager $1,250 a couple years ago and have been fixing things ever since. That's OK, as I knew she was going to be scrapped and I felt like saving her was a good call. I've only put $2,000 or so into repairs, and trucks like this don't come cheap where I live.

Last weekend a mechanic friend and I were doing a cooling system rebuild since my temps liked to drift a lot and I wasn't getting much heat on my feet from the heater core. We acquired a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and all associated gaskets and fittings. Things were going great until we got to the thermostat housing. The bolt heads snapped right off , and the corrosion was horrible.

We tried penetrating oil and extractors but sadly the part of the intake which houses the thermostat just gave way and shattered on us. My buddy says he can help me finish up the job on Friday and Saturday of this week if we can locate an intake, so my question to the brilliant minds here is this: Can we use an intake from a 5.8 used in another application?

There are nearby junkyards offering lower intakes for a 5.8 for $60 to $100 but many are from E-series vans of the same vintage (1992, 1993, etc) or from an F-150, etc. Will these work as-is, or will they require many additional modification parts or not fit my truck at all? I only have a few days to sort it out, and any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and here's looking forward to getting her fixed so I can stay a part of this community. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm also really broke, so something like a new intake is definitely out of the question. Cheers!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:28 AM
75Three90
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djnikochan
Good morning Ford Truck enthusiasts!

I've been scanning threads here for a long time, but never joined and posted until now. Feel free to make jokes about the newbie joining just because they had a problem.

I've got a '93 F-250 XLT 2WD with the 351W, aka 5.8 V8. Meet Felicity Fussytruck.

I picked her up for a meager $1,250 a couple years ago and have been fixing things ever since. That's OK, as I knew she was going to be scrapped and I felt like saving her was a good call. I've only put $2,000 or so into repairs, and trucks like this don't come cheap where I live.

Last weekend a mechanic friend and I were doing a cooling system rebuild since my temps liked to drift a lot and I wasn't getting much heat on my feet from the heater core. We acquired a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and all associated gaskets and fittings. Things were going great until we got to the thermostat housing. The bolt heads snapped right off , and the corrosion was horrible.

We tried penetrating oil and extractors but sadly the part of the intake which houses the thermostat just gave way and shattered on us. My buddy says he can help me finish up the job on Friday and Saturday of this week if we can locate an intake, so my question to the brilliant minds here is this: Can we use an intake from a 5.8 used in another application?

There are nearby junkyards offering lower intakes for a 5.8 for $60 to $100 but many are from E-series vans of the same vintage (1992, 1993, etc) or from an F-150, etc. Will these work as-is, or will they require many additional modification parts or not fit my truck at all? I only have a few days to sort it out, and any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and here's looking forward to getting her fixed so I can stay a part of this community. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm also really broke, so something like a new intake is definitely out of the question. Cheers!
I know for a fact the older carbed motor parts interchanged. But idk about the fuelly stuff. Someone will chime in.

WELCOME TO FTE FELLA

Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Any fuel injection 351W lower should bolt on and work for you, vans included.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:57 AM
djnikochan
New User
Thanks for the encouragement, 75Three90, and for the info, Evan!

I will pick one of these up and we'll take it from there. Maybe I'll have good news to post about Felicity in a week or so.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Any fuel injection 351W lower should bolt on and work for you, vans included.
first off, welcome to FTE.

i agree with Evan.
as long as it is a 5.8 EFI engine, the lower intake will work, van or pickup. series does not matter on the lower intake, it is the upper intake and throttle body that are different.
i believe even the car lower intake is the same as the truck lower.

now as for this comment: Feel free to make jokes about the newbie joining just because they had a problem.

we never make jokes about newbies because they have a problem.
that would be unethical and just wrong.

we bust newbies chops because they are newbies.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:40 AM
djnikochan
New User
Progress is happening.

Thanks to the help I've gotten here, I've located the lower intake at a salvage yard near where my family lives for fifty bucks. The folks are going to try to pick it up and bring it to me so I can get Felicity back on the road this weekend.

You all make a newbie feel pretty welcome. I'm not your typical truck-nut, so it's nice to have a forum to go to where I can blend in.

Cheers!

Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 AM
75Three90
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Progress is happening.

Thanks to the help I've gotten here, I've located the lower intake at a salvage yard near where my family lives for fifty bucks. The folks are going to try to pick it up and bring it to me so I can get Felicity back on the road this weekend.

You all make a newbie feel pretty welcome. I'm not your typical truck-nut, so it's nice to have a forum to go to where I can blend in.

Cheers!
Congratulations on the nice score.

Hope you stick around awhile bud, take it ease, keep her clean and keep on truckin

Old 12-08-2014, 11:42 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Progress is happening.

Cheers!
Welcome to FTE! If I remember right there's a bolt that's kinda hard to see, and a bit of a pain to get to, that holds the upper intake onto the lower. So if you can't get the upper to budge be sure and look for that last bolt!

Hope you get her back on the road soon, come on back when you're done and hang for a bit... lots of friendly folks here and plenty of things to learn for anyone that owns one of these trucks.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hope this helps

Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Here is what you want

Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 PM
djnikochan
New User
Thanks for the guide pictures! Now I can line up the replacement we have coming and make sure it's right before I start to tear down.

I'm almost looking forward to this.

UPDATE! My family have acquired the intake. It looks like the correct one as per Puddy's pictures above, and they say it has no cracks or signs of damage.

MORE UPDATE: Mom took a pic with her flip-phone and sent it along. Does this look usable to you all? imgur.com/GcOJ6O2

With a skilled mechanic helping me out, how many hours might it take to get this swap done?

Thanks again, fellas!

Last edited by djnikochan; 12-08-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Updated info and picture
Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
wow, you scored with the fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, and injectors. if it has not sat for a long time to let any fuel in the rails and injectors spoil, it will save a little time putting it on.
you should be able to swap from running bad to running good a lower intake in 3-4 hours wit the proper tools.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
If you hit that junkyard intake with a power washer it'll clean right up, if it were mine I'd want to remove and clean those injectors before using them but that's your call. Nice to see my intake pictures still circulating around LOL. There are 6 intake bolts as you can see from the pics, the center passenger side bolt is a T40 Torx if I remember correctly and you will need a 6" x 1/4" extension and socket with the torx bit to access it via the slot in the upper intake. Once the upper is off take a vacuum cleaner to the lower portion to remove all the dirt before lifting it off.. just to keep all that out of the motor. Also, if the EGR tube won't separate from the valve(they often rust pretty good) then leave the tube alone and unbolt the valve from the intake and hang the whole works from the hood with a piece of wire while you swap intakes. If you let it fall over under it's own weight it's very possible the tube with get broken.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:14 PM
jaagen
Senior User
The intake on post #9 on the left. What intake is that? I know the middle is 5.0 and the right is 5.8.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
The one is a 5.0 HO intake. Mustangs mostly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake disaster, seeking suggestions