FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it possible you have a bent wheel?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brand and size tires do you have on there?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
RE: tire wear - I have BFGs with significant feathering on the inside edges. My (pro-grade) alignment shop guy said today that 65 psi is too low and I should run at least 80 psi, and cross-rotate (swap truck sides during a rotation), so that the feathering 'high edge' gets worn back to being the low edge. Not a bad idea. I hate running 90 PSI in the tires, for comfort reasons, but will do that.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Rich, I'm reading this on my phone, and so may have missed something, but I didn't see where the ball joints were replaced. How old are they, and are they just parts store brand? Was the camber ever changed?

Steve, your truck must ride loke an old buggy. What size and weight rating BFG needs 90psi?

Mark

Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The ball joints were replaced by Ford when I bought the truck in Oct 2010. The front end was so sloppy that I made that part of the negotiation for price - they fix it first. That was 80,000 miles ago.

Let's talk tires. These are what I have: [LINK] Toyo Open Country H/T Tuff Duty. They ain't freaking cheap, they're freaking expensive, and I'm freaking out. I had Coopers before that, and Generals before that. They all cup, scallop, growl, and whatever else shortly after install... but this time I'm paying close attention.

I have had tire and noise vibration problems, as well as a lot of other vibration problems, distracting me from focusing on the tires. The question of tires and pressure made me recall every step (or should I say misstep) taken since I bought Stinky:
  1. The wear problem started early, and I discovered my new Generals were at 50 PSI from the dealership, and I pumped the fronts up to max (80 PSI) until the Generals wore out in the winter of 2012.
  2. I installed XTX tires (made by Cooper, I think) and ran them at 65 PSI for better traction in the snow, and the tread wear problem got me again.
  3. I installed these Toyos in the summer of 2014 and set the pressure to 65 PSI, but Stinky has spent more time on the rack than on the road - addressing a number of problems.

I want to visit the "why" of that 65 PSI: It's a common suggestion on the forum, and it may very well be because that's what a lot of doors recommend (including Stinky's) - plus many members have 2WD. I looked at my door and the tire size is LT245/85R16. I tried a set of those for two days this summer, and that was too squirrely and ugly for my taste. The 65 PSI is for those pizza cutters, not for a wide-bodied jumbo set. My Toyos exacerbate the problem because the footprint is more square than my previous sets (more road contact on the "corners") The wider 265mm tires are probably riding on the outside edges with the weight of the Superduty nose, 4X4 hardware, and a 7.3L diesel bearing down on them. Have you ever rolled two interlocked pneumatic wheels on a single axle before? I have. They do not track straight when the weight shifts. I may have a pair of two each interlocked wheels on Stinky's nose because of under-inflation.

This is where I 'fess up to being stupid (not a first for me). Those two hours under the driver-side wheel this weekend could have been better-spent. I should have drawn chalk across my front tires and gone for a "spin".

Feel free to deflate my thoughts on this.

If you're in the mood for a good read on tire inflation, click here: [LINK]

Old 12-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I run my fronts at 65, rears at 50 when not towing.

I ran the original Firestones some 80k, then I went to Cooper ATR's...ran that set for 65-70k. Then went with Cooper AT3's....didn't get nearly the mileage from those maybe 50k. This set is Michellin LTX AT2...I have 7k on them and they look really good. I need to get in for a rotate now...I rotate every oil change...5k

Old 12-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Silverlake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert but I think 90 psi will jar your teeth out not to mention every fastener and pivot point above your tires.
Cupped tires would indicate low pressure initially but as others have mentioned, there must be something else going on.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Tire pressure on the doors, in my opinion, are to provide a nice smooth ride, while still carrying a loaded truck. On my 02 F250, the door recommends 70psi in the rear and only 50psi in the front. That's with 265/75R-16 tires. I run 285/75R-16 tires on my truck, and run 70psi in the front, and only 45psi in the rear. The tires are a little oversized for the factory rims, so air pressure is reduced so I get even wear on the tires, especially in the rear. 70psi in the front for these tires work well for me. On my 99 F350 Dually work truck, I run 80psi all the way around. The door recommends only 65psi in the front, but I run 80psi on stock 235/85R-16 tires.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly, you've been cupping tires for all 80k you've owned the truck, right? Several brands, widths and tire pressures, and at least two sets of shocks?

I'd look at those ball joints again. Every dime the dealer spent fixing them came out of his margin, so they were fixed as cheaply as possible.

BTW, this is your best thread title, yet. I think it's "unto", not "into", but it's still a great one. [Cheers]

Mark

Old 12-09-2014, 08:00 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tires will last longer and ride will be better at 45psi than 65psi-said every alignment tech I ever asked.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich I would also revisit the thought of changing your camber spec as Cody had pointed out in one of your threads that might help the way the tires sit on pavement. Cody had also said that he thought your caster was good at 4* and he said these trucks like alot of caster. I know he knows what he is talking about so I am not trying to second guess him. But I myself like to see about 2.5* to 3.5* on my dually (different animal I know) But here is my point have you ever had a shopping cart that has a bent front caster wheel ( too much caster) it wobbles. Food for thought.

Now as far as your vibration issue that comes and goes on the left side I am thinking just maybe a u joint or front diff outer axle carrier bearing or alittle of both could cause a vibration that would come and go. Bad part is there is no real way to check these parts well with it all together. You would need to take it all apart to check correctly. The outer axle housing bearing is always spinning even if it isn't in 4wd so depending on the load or crown of the road it could preload the bearing to cause a vibration. Just an idea??

Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Answering Mark - What size and weight rating BFG needs 90psi?

I have 285-75-16s, installed new by the PO just before I bought the truck. If you read the Discount Tire reviews of the BFG-AT, all those reviewers with Super Duties complain about poor tread life - like 20K+. All the guys with Toyotas love the BFG because it lasts forever. I like BFGs, but I wouldn't put them on a Super Duty again.

I put mine all at 80 psi, and will see how badly it rides, the next time I drive it. Maybe I'll end up at 70 psi, or do a chalk test and see what that reveals.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
......................I'd look at those ball joints again. Every dime the dealer spent fixing them came out of his margin, so they were fixed as cheaply as possible.............
X2

I experienced this first hand. Had them fixed by the dealer in Oklahoma in 2008, needed to be replaced in 2012.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
If I'm reading this correctly, you've been cupping tires for all 80k you've owned the truck, right? Several brands, widths and tire pressures, and at least two sets of shocks?

I'd look at those ball joints again. Every dime the dealer spent fixing them came out of his margin, so they were fixed as cheaply as possible.

BTW, this is your best thread title, yet. I think it's "unto", not "into", but it's still a great one. [Cheers]

Mark
Correction to thread title made - thank you for the feedback. I never read Shakespeare and I'm always misquoting him. I keep having a problem figuring out if the dogs of war are slipping or supping.

Yes... never good tread wear on Stinky, but this is either getting worse - or I'm noticing it earlier because I'm paying close attention. Other than wobble with a pry bar, how do I test the ball joints?

Originally Posted by clux
Tires will last longer and ride will be better at 45psi than 65psi-said every alignment tech I ever asked.
I'm sorry bud, I hate to call you on this one - but I don't want readers to see it go without a counterpoint. I read that second link in my tire discussion above, the one about tire pressures, loads, and sizes. The one that is from Toyo - a tire manufacture. 45 PSI on my front tires with my size will put the rated load on my tires 500 pounds below Stinky's nose weight.

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Rich I would also revisit the thought of changing your camber spec as Cody had pointed out in one of your threads that might help the way the tires sit on pavement...
That's part of my master plan: Take it to the alignment/tire/shock/front bearing place with all the information I've amassed, beat them over the head with it, show them the tires, and demand they make it right. One of the perks of having the front end worked on by somebody other than me.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:29 PM
TKegs763
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Now as far as your vibration issue that comes and goes on the left side I am thinking just maybe a u joint or front diff outer axle carrier bearing or alittle of both could cause a vibration that would come and go. Bad part is there is no real way to check these parts well with it all together. You would need to take it all apart to check correctly. The outer axle housing bearing is always spinning even if it isn't in 4wd so depending on the load or crown of the road it could preload the bearing to cause a vibration. Just an idea??

THIS!!! Hmmmm!! This may be something to revisit myself, as well!

It's not the tires.. I had those exact tires on my truck when I bought it. Best tires I ever had!

Quick Reply: Once more, unto the breach.