1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My Black 65

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:48 AM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Olaf65
^^^ Thanks; don't have a 65 Miss plate so Kansas will have to do.

Nice truck, but if you're planning to run a Kansas plate on the front and a Miss plate on the rear, you're probably going to need some extra cash for citations.....most states kinda frown on that.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Olaf65
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964FORDTUF
Looking real good, what a nice looking 65. Very clean original look to it. Congrats on your efforts!
These nice compliments have kept me inspired and I can't wait to drive it, might do that tomorrow if all holds together. Kansas plate was just for the driveway photo, got a line on a 65 Miss.

Couple of not so good photos of interior. Floor and roof are original for now. Floor has some rust issues that will be fixed soon.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Olaf65
Junior User
Took it for a ride around town today. Everything works but the turn signals, they light up but no flash. Gas tank is not venting, gas was all over top of tank. Gearing is way low, have to shift fast, I use to have several third members and would swap them out. It was nice to drive it again sort of a time machine for me. Got to get these things fixed and start on hood but it may not be repairable.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Olaf65
Junior User
Front driver's side of hood was pushed in and has some dents so I had to remove inner brace and pound it out. Might look decent after all.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Olaf65
Front driver's side of hood was pushed in and has some dents so I had to remove inner brace and pound it out. Might look decent after all.

Very nice looking 65 nice work. I noticed that your upper grille with the blinker lights has the extra piece with the round holes in it. My 65 4x4 has that too. I thought it might be a 4x4 thing but now it doesn't look like it. I don't see to many trucks with that particular upper grille. Again nice work and what happened to your hood? Was it from a previous accident?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Olaf65
Junior User
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Very nice looking 65 nice work. I noticed that your upper grille with the blinker lights has the extra piece with the round holes in it. My 65 4x4 has that too. I thought it might be a 4x4 thing but now it doesn't look like it. I don't see to many trucks with that particular upper grille. Again nice work and what happened to your hood? Was it from a previous accident?
The original upper piece did not have holes and I have wondered about this also. I have seen 2wds with both and have no clue as to why. Yes, it was a previous accident where I met the rear of an Isuzu Trooper and it's spare smashed my front end.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:49 PM
ridealong34
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Olaf65,

Your truck is looking sharp. That was a good idea removing the brace to gain access to the front of your hood. I am embarrassed to admit how many parts trucks I have stashed but anyway I just checked them all and none had the upper piece like yours.

--Jason

Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 PM
Olaf65
Junior User
Thanks Jason, enjoying the progress you are making on yours. I bought the grill, splash guard and upper as one piece and have no idea what type truck they came off of.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 AM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Dang, now i need to look at my truck. I dont think i have that piece either....Im not sure thats a stock piece from one of ours.....Might of came off a bump side i suppose

Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Olaf65,
What a NICE '65!
You've done a great job of bringing it back to life!
I really like what you've done with the interior.... VERY nice!

Do you know why your dad switched out the OEM 352 for the '63 390?

Has the front bumper been switched out?
Looking at the bumper ends, it appears to me to be a later style/version chrome front bumper.

BarnieTrk

Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzz44
I noticed that your upper grille with the blinker lights has the extra piece with the round holes in it. My 65 4x4 has that too. I thought it might be a 4x4 thing but now it doesn't look like it. I don't see to many trucks with that particular upper grille.

All the NOS (service replacement) parts C5TZ-8190-C that I've bought or have seen for sale all have the extra two triangle shaped pieces with the holes in them. I've never seen what I thought to be an original truck with those triangles already installed. My own hunch is that to store them without bending that middle piece forward or backward the triangles give it a lot of added stability.

The MPC seems to show an outline where the triangles are in this picture. No holes illustrated, but definitely a shaded area where the triangles would be.

Name:  Grill.png
Views: 454
Size:  143.1 KB

Old 07-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Olaf65
Junior User
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
Olaf65,
What a NICE '65!
You've done a great job of bringing it back to life!
I really like what you've done with the interior.... VERY nice!

Do you know why your dad switched out the OEM 352 for the '63 390?

Has the front bumper been switched out?
Looking at the bumper ends, it appears to me to be a later style/version chrome front bumper.

BarnieTrk
Thank you. Some things about the truck that Dad told me years ago; it was bought new by a farmer here in H.S., probably one of those guys who work them real good and get a new one every year. I think Dad got it in 67, it even had one of those auxilary tanks in back for fueling up tractors. Dad fixed it back up and added dome light, reverse lights, windshield washers, custom cab emblem on dash and the ***** on dash which were from some Ford product. Dad worked at the Ford dealership in H.S. as a mechanic and hot rodded some in his younger days. A man who lived in town wrecked his 63 Mercury Monterey and Dad was able to acquire the motor from it for nothing, so as far as I know he rebuilt it and used it because of the larger displacement, too bad it wasn't a 427. Truck has spent it's entire life in this small town. The bumper is a repro I bought in 92 or 93, unfortunately the original was bent but I still have it along with the 352 that came with the truck.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Olaf65
Junior User
Welded in new nuts for hood hinge.

Underside of hood painted and brace welded back in. Dang cats walked on it.

Hood hinges are back on it.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Olaf65
Junior User
Having used a 45 year old Binks spray gun and an old compressor, I guess it turned out good enough. There is still some small defects but with black it is a PIA to get it perfect and my bondo skills are questionable.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:41 PM
nineteensixt5f100
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice!
two questions.
How did you remove the hood brace and did it tweek the hood when you took it out or put it back in?

What did you use for the weld in nut for the hood hindge?

Thanks

Quick Reply: My Black 65