1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Puter

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:42 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Puter

Well I kinda sorta gots a new Puter up and running - Spent a good part of yesterday seeing who could mess with each other the most - It's about 70/30 right now - Dang thing won't work like windows 3
Going to go drink a cuppa joe and come back a wrestle with this sumbeach

Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
It's 33 to 4, 4th & goal i'm on my 1 yard line - I'm gonna run a quarterback sneak

Old 12-07-2014, 05:48 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Well here we are - windows 8.crap refuses to look like anything I've ever seen
I may be able to say I'm well hung by tomorrow

Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,824 Likes on 1,831 Posts
Dick
I feel your pain.
Last spring my wife got me a new laptop. This thing is loaded with a touchscreen and windows 8. I was just starting to get used to things and figure out how to get around when I ended up downloading something I shouldn't have.
After I did a removal of the unwanted programs my whole "sumbeach" was different. I spent 3 days messing around with it before pulling the plug and resetting this POS back to factory specs.

So, now everything is back to normal....well, back to the way it was when I got it new. I've been busy trying to reload some of my programs and files and get things back to the way they were before I screwed it all up.

For the record...I'm not a big fan of windows 8

Bobby

Old 12-07-2014, 08:47 PM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still haven't found too many people that like windows 8. Two things you can do to change it some.

One is install classic shell. It will make the interface more like windows 7.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Two is if you need more speed use the ultimate windows tweaker, it has all of the hidden setting in a easy to use interface. Just make sure you hit apply before each tab, you don't have to even mess with this if you don't like changing settings. So far the quickest shut down time we have had with windows 8 was less than 10 seconds.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...er-3-windows-8

If you have some stuff starting up when windows starts and you don't want it I can walk you though that as well to turn them off.

(I am regular on the Panasonic Toughbook forums)

Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Thanks for the offer and the tips.

I typically go to the classic desktop and then work from there. I do use the windows 8 apps now and again and I had it set up where you could run the mouse pointer up towards the upper right hand corner and the "minimize, restore down, and close" buttons would show up. When I reset back to factory that no longer works.
When I'm done with a Windows app I want to close it, I don't want it hanging around in the background.
I know that you can go over to left side of the screen and it will show you what is open and then you can right click and close them, but that's a pain.

any ideas?
Thanks

Bobby

Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What made it harder for me, was that they didn't send any instructions with it. Good luck Dick, I've had Window 8 for a while now, and I still forget how to do things I have done B4, like reset the system to the last date it worked correctly. IMPO user friendliness, is not its strongest suite.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:43 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Add me to the hate list. This is the most unfreindly piece of (got no words)
no start menu wont accept my camara, stupid icons that dont make sense.
CD or copy disk's and printer dont work. I am to have the former pc
fixed. What are these engineers thinking????

Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
I also installed "classic shell".
I have a friend that tried playing with Windows 8 and after about an hour, he exclaimed "this is designed for the nose rings !"

Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Thanks for the tip guys - I've been messing with computers since the mid 80's, 1 big mainframe on Wright Patterson AFB serving ten thousand folks, It would crash 7/8 times a day
I started Windows with V3 even the 20 disk windows change was easier -
This time I'm switching from Vista to 8.1 and the new IE screwed up

Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Thanks for the offer and the tips.

I typically go to the classic desktop and then work from there. I do use the windows 8 apps now and again and I had it set up where you could run the mouse pointer up towards the upper right hand corner and the "minimize, restore down, and close" buttons would show up. When I reset back to factory that no longer works.
When I'm done with a Windows app I want to close it, I don't want it hanging around in the background.
I know that you can go over to left side of the screen and it will show you what is open and then you can right click and close them, but that's a pain.

any ideas?
Thanks

Bobby
Sounds like when you reset back to factory specs, you lost the 8.1 update. That's a feature that's only in that update. You'll have to go on the Microsoft site and re-download it. In the mean time, if you click at the very top of the window and drag the whole thing down until it disappears moving down, that also exits out of the app. If you have touch screen you can do that same thing with your finger.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:43 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I feel your pain

About 10 years ago I had the "blue screen of death" once too often. I drove to the Apple store and bought a Mac Pro and it was the best computer move that I have made. It really wasn't hard to get used to the differences.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I too have been messing with computers since the early 80s, before IBM introduced the "PC". My first "real" computer had dual processors and ran either MS/DOS or CPm. I finally graduated to Windows for work.

I got a new laptop when I retired and I'm getting used to Windows 8.1 and the touch screen. I never use the Home screen, unless I hit it by accident. I do like the fact that I can get rid of it by sliding down the screen with the pointer or finger.

Good luck with your new puter.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Sounds like when you reset back to factory specs, you lost the 8.1 update. That's a feature that's only in that update. You'll have to go on the Microsoft site and re-download it. In the mean time, if you click at the very top of the window and drag the whole thing down until it disappears moving down, that also exits out of the app. If you have touch screen you can do that same thing with your finger.

Thanks, I'll check for updates and go from there

Bobby

Old 12-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I too have been messing with computers since the early 80s, before IBM introduced the "PC". My first "real" computer had dual processors and ran either MS/DOS or CPm. I finally graduated to Windows for work.

I got a new laptop when I retired and I'm getting used to Windows 8.1 and the touch screen. I never use the Home screen, unless I hit it by accident. I do like the fact that I can get rid of it by sliding down the screen with the pointer or finger.

Good luck with your new puter.
I got a new laptop (no touch screen) in 2012 when I retired. It had Widows 8.0 and I hated it until I heard about Stardock Start8 program for $5.00. It gave me back a start button and I can choose to use the Windows 8 menu if I want to. Microsoft just forced me to upgrade to 8.1 kicking and screaming. You can still buy new laptops with Window 7 from Dell. I don't think 7 was available back in November of 12 when i bought this one. Patrick

Quick Reply: New Puter