1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How many other young guys interested with these trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:13 PM
1956f3504x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have or have had some of the coolest trucks! I love seeing them working still. I love it!

Old 12-10-2014, 07:18 PM
54-F100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
'Teach a child in the way he should go'..... Not sure if this was my first Ford truck, but I know the '28 AA was my second real truck. I sold my '65 f100 to my older cousin in 1973 when I got the AA in running condition. I was 19 at that time. The '28 was my daily driver for 2 years, but I always had a motorcycle so I could get out of my own way when needed.
I got excited just to see the old steel Ford toy trucks....I haven't seen those around before. Now I have a new project; find an old F100 toy truck:-)

Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Well I am 35... I guess I am getting old now.

My 51 is the first truck I have built, but I have been building cars as soon as I was old enough to drive.

Taught myself nearly everything I know. My father was a car guy, but didn't work on them.

Jackie was the one that wanted a ford truck and she put just about as much effort into working on it as I did.

Seems like a pretty good mix from young to old here. New ideas and old wisdom. Seems to work pretty well.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:48 PM
willymakeit
Tuned
I was infected in about 73 when Oscar Lewis came to town in a blue 54. He was our body shop teacher and ended up being one of my best friends [mentors] to the day he died.
4 years ago his family gave me his 56 daily driver that we had rebuilt in the 90's. Im getting close on it again.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:11 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is an inspiring thread!

I have had more cars and trucks than I can count. I was thinking about it the other day in another post. When I was 15 a family friend tried to give me a 48 F1. I declined because I wanted a Jeep. I ended up buying a 1953 M38-A1 (essentially a CJ-5) that was apart in boxes. My mother determined that if my brother and I wanted to drive, we had to rebuild a junk car. She was more than willing to help fund such projects to make sure that we didn't cut corners on safety. I restored the Jeep. My brother started with a 1964 Ford Fairlane.

When my oldest son was 12 he bought an F2 from a railroad man in Portola California. We had planned to restore it as his first vehicle. We ended up doing a VW project instead. I did, however, hang on to the F2. I took on the project 12 years later at age 50. The F2 transformed into an F1 with a lot of help from members on this forum!

I am very happy to see the next generation of classic truck enthusiasts cutting their teeth on the heavy duty iron that we all love! I suspect that the father-son projects are a really good thing!

By the way....Kudos to your Grandma!!

Good Luck!

Dan

Old 12-15-2014, 08:59 AM
GrifN
Junior User
Originally Posted by ryans88gt
Taught myself nearly everything I know. My father was a car guy, but didn't work on them.
This is kind of the same boat I'm in. My dad has plenty of knowledge (or willpower to learn what he doesn't know), but we've never really done more than routine maintenance on a car/truck. He's recently taken up motorcycle restoration/customization (mostly engine rebuilds or bolt-on parts), but never a car/truck. This should be a good learning experience for me (and my dad, if I can convince him to come help out )

Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Dan F-6
Freshman User
I'm 18 and the problem started when I was 17 as I had just got my provisional driver's license (for like 2 weeks) and could then go off on my own to investigate. I will admit I did have help (Craigslist) that eventually led to my barn find. I always had a thing for big trucks, the bigger and slower the better in my eyes. Anyways I saw this huge old F-6 Dump Truck all built up in the back to hold grain and I said to myself... ah that's not for me I would never take on something like that. Then I would look at it some more and a little more until I just had to call the guy to go and see it in person. I really just wanted an F-250 and eventually a dump trailer not have to shovel everything out that you put in... and then it hit me why not just get a dump truck (like a two for one deal). Then 44 days later or so who's counting It was in my driveway March 24, 2014 so I've had it a little over a year now but again who's counting right? So there you have it my problem as stated above and it's a big problem that I love and hate, love because its big and great and fun to work on (and eventually drive) but hate at times because it's hard to work on big heavy parts with 3" nuts and big heavy drum breaks, just everything is bonus built to be heavy. So being young I have a lot of questions and nowhere to look only to posts on this form and answers received on my own post for my project which I now realize it is a build not just a fixer upper/project.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:59 PM
91Fbody
Senior User
I'm in limbo between "young" and "geezer" .

My first vehicle was my dad's 77 f100 Ranger. Learned a lot with that truck. Fast forward to a year or 2 ago and you'll find me sitting in front of a computer scouring craigslist/ebay for an old truck. I originally started my search for a late 70s Ford like I had, but kept going older and older, until I stopped on a 2nd gen. I realized I've always liked that body style.

I just bought a 55 F250 with the script bed and I've got my work cut out for me!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan F-6
I'm 18 and the problem started when I was 17 as I had just got my provisional driver's license (for like 2 weeks) and could then go off on my own to investigate. I will admit I did have help (Craigslist) that eventually led to my barn find. I always had a thing for big trucks, the bigger and slower the better in my eyes. Anyways I saw this huge old F-6 Dump Truck all built up in the back to hold grain and I said to myself... ah that's not for me I would never take on something like that. Then I would look at it some more and a little more until I just had to call the guy to go and see it in person. I really just wanted an F-250 and eventually a dump trailer not have to shovel everything out that you put in... and then it hit me why not just get a dump truck (like a two for one deal). Then 44 days later or so who's counting It was in my driveway March 24, 2014 so I've had it a little over a year now but again who's counting right? So there you have it my problem as stated above and it's a big problem that I love and hate, love because its big and great and fun to work on (and eventually drive) but hate at times because it's hard to work on big heavy parts with 3" nuts and big heavy drum breaks, just everything is bonus built to be heavy. So being young I have a lot of questions and nowhere to look only to posts on this form and answers received on my own post for my project which I now realize it is a build not just a fixer upper/project.
Hang in there.. Don't quit. This is the place for all the support you and I will ever need. When you finish you will have the makings of your own business or at least extra income from side jobs. There are many people who have a need for someone willing to work. Just hard to get both parties together sometimes.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:28 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am about to turn 63. I had a heart attack in 2013 and open heart surgery. I was born into a gearhead family. Still remember my dad drag racing my mom down US1. She got caught and he got away.

My first truck was 56 F100 I dropped a 390 Police interceptor into. I drove it for several years before going overseas. My brother ended up with it an wrapped it around a tree. He was ok but the truck was destroyed. I have owned a lot of trucks since then but nothing really old. I am currently looking for a 48-52 as that was my dads first truck (used). I am still trying to find a pic to determine which of those years it was. It is the highest priority on my bucket list.

So, if you see something you think I might like, drop me a PM.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by purplewg
I am about to turn 63. I had a heart attack in 2013 and open heart surgery. I was born into a gearhead family. Still remember my dad drag racing my mom down US1. She got caught and he got away.
Now that is funny! Whose car were you in, Dad or Mom?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:33 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Now that is funny! Whose car were you in, Dad or Mom?
I was in mom's car. My brother was with my dad.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 31 but still feel young! My grandaddy gave me and my twin brother his '65 F100 when we turned 16. He wasn't the original owner, but it had been in the family for a while and I had loved it for years. I think my '56 F100 hot wheel with the little motorcycles in the back might be what got me started when I was little!

When I was 28, I finally bought my dream truck (1956 F100) as a project and am still steadily moving forward with it.

I am definitely in it for the long haul, as I will never get rid of my '65 or my '56.

I've said it before, but what I mainly love about old ford trucks is that the majority of enthusiasts are "seasoned" and not young punks. This thread shows that classic ford trucks only attract the cream of the next generation We'll leave the the rest of those punks to their Chevy trucks.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by purplewg
I am currently looking for a 48-52 as that was my dads first truck (used). I am still trying to find a pic to determine which of those years it was.
If you can't find a picture the simple solution would be to get a monkey face and a manure spreader.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm definitely not one of the young ones here, but I definitely see hope for this hobby. At a recent cruise in, I had a group of teenagers walk by and one of the young men in the group came over and spent a lot of time looking at my truck. Finally he came over to me, shook my hand and introduced himself to me and proceeded to ask a bunch of questions about my truck and how I did certain things to it. Finally he thanked me and hustled off to catch up with his friends. I was certainly impressed with this young man and personally I don't care whether he decides to work on a Chevy, Studebaker, Ford or whatever, as long as he adds to the old car/truck hobby.

Quick Reply: How many other young guys interested with these trucks?