1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How many other young guys interested with these trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
Was just wondering how many other "kids" are messing around with these old trucks. I'll start by saying that I understand that age SOMETIMES doesn't have anything to do with knowledge. Let's keep this thread positive; no need to antagonize the next generation of ford truck lovers.

If you are willing; please include your age, when you first realized you like old ford trucks, who influenced you to do so, whether you a truck or not, and if you do, what model truck it is and some specs.

Personally; I am sixteen years old. I own a 1953 F250 with a 300 cubic inch inline six, offy 4 barrel intake manifold, efi dual exhaust manifolds, zf s5-42 five speed trans, full float dana 60 with posi, front disc brake conversion, boosted dual piston master cylinder. I first realized I had a thing for old ford trucks when I went to an all ford car show during a trip to disneyland when I was Ten. My Dad would always talk about my grandfather's 56 F100 and how great it was. He has helped me with my truck since I bought it over two years ago, but I have financed every nut and bolt on the truck.
Originally Posted by fladoodle
I'm seventeen, I got my truck earlier in this summer. Honestly, I've always been more of a GM person, following my dad, I guess. My addiction started when my great-uncle reached out to my dad, knowing he's a mechanic and really into the classic stuff. My great uncle has a ton of old ford trucks that he's used on his farm for many years. Anyways, he knew that he would never be able to get to his old blue truck to be able to drive it in the local parade that he dreamed of, so he wanted to see it worked on, if not totally restored before he died. He asked if my dad would be willing to buy it and fix it up, however, my dad had his own projects to work on, so my dad told him that I'd been looking for a project of my own to work on. There are many stories involving this truck and many farmyard modifications/fixes done on this truck (Shameless plug: everything is or will be in my build thread!) I have since fallen in love with this truck and all these old fords. It has the original 223 straight 6 and T98 4 speed on the floor. I plan on making it as stock/looks like stock from the outside as reasonably possible, while still having a vehicle that's drivable on modern roads and highway worthy. I'm glad us youngsters have the opportunity to use this thread and show all these "geezers" that we're not the mindless, common-sense lacking drones they think we are
Originally Posted by 54-F100
My dad & I have started rebuilding his '54 F100. I turn 12 later this month and hopefully we can finish it before I turn 16.
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Im 20 right now. My dad was always a ford guy so ive been into fords for as long as i can remember. What really pushed me to build a truck was the cherry bomb dodge d100 that was on stacey david gearz a few years ago. I have a 48 f1 that ive been working on for about 2.5 years. Its got a mustang 2 front suspension, 8.8 in rear with triangulated four link, 429 big block which should be at about 500 hp, t56 6 speed trans and pretty much stock body.

I'll tell you what impresses about all four of you "kids" right now more than anything else--all four of you know how to use PROPER ENGLISH. In other words, you don't type in jibberish with horrible "gramer and spellin and tell us how you seen a cool rat rod". You use proper English grammar with things like occasional capital letters, periods, punctuation marks, etc. Oh my!!! My faith in the youth of tomorrow has been restored. None of us are English professors, but some of the posts on this forum are completely unreadable sometimes.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:41 PM
1956f3504x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was born into a family with a love for old vehicles. I am the youngest at 30 of a family of six boys. My parents had kept several family vehicles from years ago and still used then regularly. They then started a tradition with my oldest brother of buying a classic truck as a first vehicle. That first truck was a 1958 gmc wide window long box, then a 1959 chevy short box, next a 1965 chevy short box fleet side, a 1964 ford long box came next, then a 1970 chevy short box. I am 12 years younger than my oldest brother and many things had changed by the time I was driving age. My parents financial situation went down hill and It became pretty clear that I was not going to be getting a classic truck. I was not about to be without wheels so I talked them into giving me the old family car that had been sitting for years at that point. So my first car was a 1972 Oldsmobile cutlass. I worked a job every summer starting in eighth grade and after school and on the weekends, and between that and a couple of FFA projects I made it a pretty cool ride! I've still got it to!
I bought my first ford pickup my senior year of high school, a 1979 f350 4x4. My current project, a 1956 f350 finally came about three years ago on Father's Day! So it took me awhile to get there but I finally got my classic truck!
I have three kids myself and they all enjoy spending time in my shop. I'm trying to pass on the joy that these old trucks can bring to the next generation!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:43 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
congratulations to all the young "kids" out there for keeping this hobby going all of us are proud of you & thank you very much,my dad took me for my drivers test in his beautiful 51 ford f1 & i have loved them ever since i have a 51 f1 & it is special to me because of my dad i am 75 7 i drive mine every chance i get & every time i get in the truck i swear that my dad is in there too with me

Old 12-07-2014, 10:27 PM
CaptPayne
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on what you consider young, as I'm 33, but I started with a '76 mini as my first car when I was 18. I was never much of a grease monkey when I was younger, but planes and trains kept me busy, so it wasn't long until I ventured into cars.
The Mini was my education. And like all good educations cost more than I thought but got a lot of knowledge out of it too.
2 engine rebuilds and a full frame off restoration. Upgraded it to Cooper S spec with a 1275cc engine and disc brakes. But had a full education with the prince of darkness himself, Sir Lucas. Rebuilt the wiring harness and upgraded it to avoid being stuck on the side of the road one dark night.
Honestly started getting into these trucks almost by chance. Living on a farm and looking to go ranching in a few years I was starting to look for a farm truck that could pull our tiny house alon on the journey. A standard one tonne just didn't appeal to me and started to look at a classic truck that might do the job. My issue was wanting a 4x4 for the winter weather and be able to work in the field without being stuck. Just did not seem possible until I stumbled across the F-5 Marmon Herrington that I'm in the process of getting. So I consider this my masters degree in classic cars now. Schools in session and I can't wait to get my hands dirty again.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:06 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 28yr. old son who can't change his own windshield wipers, can't drive a car with a manual transmission, thought I was a god when he found out I changed my oil. I love him to death but he is helpless. Equal blame to spread between play, Nintendo, and me not forcing him to learn. I thought every young man was probably the same and I'm glad that I am wrong. You guys check up on this site often and help answer my questions.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I'm no longer a "young one", I'm 34. I grew up with old cars. I drove a 52 Ford sedan to high school in the 90s. I'm glad that there are more folks getting into this hobby, I don't want to be the last.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is awesome to see the young ones with an interest in these old trucks on here.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
My son Zack is 23 years old up at Baylor University. He's forever helping out the other kids with flats, cars that don't start, oil changes, etc. "Dad you won't believe how little these kids know about cars! They can't even change a windshield wiper!"

He loves working on the truck & he will own it full time as soon as he's able & set up on his own (soon I hope). In the meantime he's happy to change the family fleet's oil every college break.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-09-2014, 12:08 PM
GrifN
Junior User
Let me start by saying this is my first non-intro post on this forum. I've been a part of several other forums (for some of my other hobbies/projects), so I'm well-acquainted with the good, bad, and ugly of this stuff. So, first off, hello!

Hot Wheels, Legos, and GI Joe were my toys of choice growing up. The GI Joes don't really apply here, but the Legos and Hot Wheels are what started my love of cars and working with my hands. Now, I'm 28 (not as young as I thought -- when this thread started, I didn't realize I'd be seeing posts from teenagers) and I love working with my hands.

Fast forward to my teenage/early college years, and I was talking about project cars. My dad's latest fad (for the last 7-8 years or so) has been motorcycles. His logic: they're cheaper and take up less room than cars. We've both had an affinity for older cars and trucks (he prefers the '60s trucks), but we had never had a project. He talked about how he wished he had made the jump to work on cars earlier in his life.

So in 2012, I bought my first project -- a 1994 Mazda Miata. I hid the purchase from my dad. I was on my own and financially supporting myself, but he still wanted a say in how I spent my money. Fresh out of college, money was tight. But I always wanted a project car. The passion was there, but the knowledge and skills weren't. When he found out, he was a bit upset because I hid the purchase from him. Also... the Miata has a reputation of being a girl's car. Cheap to work on, strong aftermarket support, and fun as hell to drive. I did basic maintenance on it and sold it a couple years later for double what I paid to fund my next project.

The 2nd generation F100s have always been my dream trucks. Not sure where that particular fondness came from, but I think the curves of the 48-52 and 53-56 F-series trucks can't be beat. I love them. So I used the money from the Miata to buy my current pile of parts -- a 1953 F100, stake bed, Ford 400 motor, and C6 transmission. I'm not sure what all I have (it's literally a pile of parts -- I bought it on blind faith that everything advertised was included within the 10+ boxes it came in). As you can imagine, I'm overwhelmed with the project right now. It's consumed my entire 1.5-car garage, and (aside from taking inventory of by boxes of parts) I'm not sure where to start. I'll post pictures within a few days when I start a build thread...

Originally Posted by Doc
I'll tell you what impresses about all four of you "kids" right now more than anything else--all four of you know how to use PROPER ENGLISH. In other words, you don't type in jibberish with horrible "gramer and spellin and tell us how you seen a cool rat rod". You use proper English grammar with things like occasional capital letters, periods, punctuation marks, etc. Oh my!!! My faith in the youth of tomorrow has been restored. None of us are English professors, but some of the posts on this forum are completely unreadable sometimes.
Ugh. This guy gets me. Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by 1956f3504x4
I was born into a family with a love for old vehicles. I am the youngest at 30 of a family of six boys. My parents had kept several family vehicles from years ago and still used then regularly. They then started a tradition with my oldest brother of buying a classic truck as a first vehicle. [...]
Now that is a family tradition I can get behind!

Originally Posted by filthy6
I have a 28yr. old son who can't change his own windshield wipers, can't drive a car with a manual transmission, thought I was a god when he found out I changed my oil. I love him to death but he is helpless. Equal blame to spread between play, Nintendo, and me not forcing him to learn. I thought every young man was probably the same and I'm glad that I am wrong. You guys check up on this site often and help answer my questions.
Not all of us 28-year-olds are like that! But yes, the times they are a-changin'. I'm not nearly as capable as my dad, and he's not nearly as capable as his. As great as TV and the Internet are, I think they've really doomed a lot of the future. We're one of the smartest (or should I say "well-informed") generations, but we're also one of the laziest/incapable.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:42 PM
l8000
Freshman User
I am 18 and personally own 3 ford trucks. My daily driver is a 1992 F-350 crewcab dually with a 7.3 IDIT/ZF5. The truck has a Single Mass Flywheel, Champion aluminum radiator, coolant filter, upgraded ATS turbo housing and Mag-Hytec rear differential cover. The Injection pump is still set to stock at 240,000 miles. My next Ford is a 1977 F-350 with a 351M with a custom flatbed. The only mods to it are an aftermarket air cleaner and a dual oil filter relocation kit because I hated draining the oil all over the crossmember. Finally my latest purchase is a 1956 F-100. This truck will see a CV front IFS and retain the CV 4.6. Behind the 4.6 will be a T-45 5 speed from a Mustang followed by an 8.8 rear differential from an Explorer. For the body, a full tilt fiberglass hood with electric power, and 3 inch widened rear fenders. Other than that the body will only see repair where needed and will be otherwise original. I learned to like Ford trucks around the time I turned 15, I had been around our old farm trucks and just liked them.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
'Teach a child in the way he should go'..... Not sure if this was my first Ford truck, but I know the '28 AA was my second real truck. I sold my '65 f100 to my older cousin in 1973 when I got the AA in running condition. I was 19 at that time. The '28 was my daily driver for 2 years, but I always had a motorcycle so I could get out of my own way when needed.

Attached Images    
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
'Teach a child in the way he should go'..... Not sure if this was my first Ford truck, but I know the '28 AA was my second real truck. I sold my '65 f100 to my older cousin in 1973 when I got the AA in running condition. I was 19 at that time. The '28 was my daily driver for 2 years, but I always had a motorcycle so I could get out of my own way when needed.
My father's first vehicle was a 1928 model A. Unfortunately, he let go of it in order to finance his way through college. (This ended up being for the better; he is now a college professor at his alma-mater)

Originally Posted by Doc
Thank you sir. When you have a full blown English teacher as a grandmother, you learn how to speak and write VERY WELL. To be perfectly clear; this is one of the places I come when I have a "hankerin" (rest her soul, she's probably frowning from up there seeing how I just wrote a slang word) to express myself in improper English.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Grampa was a Ford man, I believe he had a T and model A, still have the Ford oil can, a few open end wrenches of his, and half a bar of Ivory soap that he kept in the glove box to wash his hands with after changing tires. Back in the day flat tires were very common.

In '38 Gramps took the family on vacation from Iowa to Florida. Roads were a lot different then, must have been quite a trip. When they got to Florida Gramps got stuck on the beach. Cocoa Beach. And then the tide came in.

It was a company car, btw. Doh!

Old 12-10-2014, 01:59 PM
wallster
Elder User
I think the F1's still have a good mix of enthusiasts since they make great restoration projects and hot rod projects. I have a model A and it's a shame that most owners are "a little long in the tooth" (heck, my self included now I guess!) They're really fun cars, very mechanical. The resale value of an F1 compared to an A (or a T) is like night and day unless they're all hot-rodded.

Wally

Old 12-10-2014, 07:03 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
This is my youngest of four kids. We had just picked up this '29 AA to replace the one that got away when I was 21. He is now 20 and can start and drive any of my old Fords.

Attached Images     

Quick Reply: How many other young guys interested with these trucks?