Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollover

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 02:30 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
well thats one way to get them ugly paddle mirrors off!

Glad everyone made it out fine!

Old 12-13-2014, 02:34 AM
riggers
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I'm sure glad everyone's okay!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Dasher400
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fordsdad
Very happy to hear that everyone is safe and parts attached. As a auto glass shop owner I see the Ford Production Facility decal in the lower driver side of the windshield which tells me the windshield is original from the factory and has not been replaced. As you can see the installation of the windshield did its job to help keep the roof from caving in. I encourage all fourm members to be mindfull of who does and how your windshield is installed. It really matters when something like this happens. If your quoted a cheap cheap price, chances are corners are being cut during the installation process.

I noticed that sticker too and did notice that windshield actually split in 2 not just spider webbed everywhere. Thanks for the answer before I asked the question.

For those of you concerned about the safety quality of the Excursion (especially in a rollover), there is no perfect vehicle out there. I chose an Excursion to safely and comfortably transport my entire family, with out having to drive a bus or full sized van, that can still pull a trailer, and is bigger than most any other non commercial passenger vehicles out there, and is a FORD. Honestly my first concern for accidents was not a rollover as it would have been with a passenger van (that are expensive as hell in 4x4, too big for the wife to enjoy while grocery getting in town, and cant pull for crap). It was front/rear/side collisions and when you're bigger than most, its common sense who is gonna come out ahead (not the case in a minivan, or a Prius. My family wont fit in either of those any how).

As much as it pains me, I have replaced the Ex with a 2011 Suburban 2500 with a 6.0l
simply because I didn't have the luxury of time to find seating for 9 and I doubt I would be able to find a deal like I did on the red EX. To be honest, I am not thrilled about less overall room and the fact that its a chevy, but I am digging the traction control (especially for the wife), air bags everywhere, and the mileage is a little better.

Why in the HELL cant FORD build something to compete with the Suburban anymore?! the Expedition EL sure aint no EX, so don't even go there. I swear if Ford rolled out a 2016 Excursion I would be the first on the list to order one.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:51 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dasher400
I noticed that sticker too and did notice that windshield actually split in 2 not just spider webbed everywhere. Thanks for the answer before I asked the question.

For those of you concerned about the safety quality of the Excursion (especially in a rollover), there is no perfect vehicle out there. I chose an Excursion to safely and comfortably transport my entire family, with out having to drive a bus or full sized van, that can still pull a trailer, and is bigger than most any other non commercial passenger vehicles out there, and is a FORD. Honestly my first concern for accidents was not a rollover as it would have been with a passenger van (that are expensive as hell in 4x4, too big for the wife to enjoy while grocery getting in town, and cant pull for crap). It was front/rear/side collisions and when you're bigger than most, its common sense who is gonna come out ahead (not the case in a minivan, or a Prius. My family wont fit in either of those any how).

As much as it pains me, I have replaced the Ex with a 2011 Suburban 2500 with a 6.0l
simply because I didn't have the luxury of time to find seating for 9 and I doubt I would be able to find a deal like I did on the red EX. To be honest, I am not thrilled about less overall room and the fact that its a chevy, but I am digging the traction control (especially for the wife), air bags everywhere, and the mileage is a little better.

Why in the HELL cant FORD build something to compete with the Suburban anymore?! the Expedition EL sure aint no EX, so don't even go there. I swear if Ford rolled out a 2016 Excursion I would be the first on the list to order one.
They might if electric cars start dominating and gas becomes more useless. Tesla is building a huge battery plant in Nevada, if they can improve on the battery and bring the price down it might be "all over". Electric Ex?

Old 12-13-2014, 11:58 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXv10
They might if electric cars start dominating and gas becomes more useless. Tesla is building a huge battery plant in Nevada, if they can improve on the battery and bring the price down it might be "all over". Electric Ex?
Electric cars are only the rage when it is popular to be so, especially when the oil prices are high as it the fear of "climate change."

Now that oil is plunging and gas is becoming cheap again, people are ditching their hybrids. Shoot there was a story the other day about the rising demand for Hummers!

I think with the modern motors from the EcoBoost to the Diesel, a new line of Ex's would not only be possible, but economical. As long as they can keep the purchase price down, they would sell like hotcakes!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When they build a battery that works at -40 I'll consider one, until then you can keep then in California.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dasher400

Glad to hear the family made it thru the rollover. It looks like the X held up enough to protect the family.

I also, like you have 7 kids, and hate the fact that there are not a lot of choices of vehicle out there besides the larger full size vans, that I will not go to.

I had converted the X to 9 passenger by adding the front centre jump seat like available on some of the models (very rare and hard to find). I still want to to convert that seat to the '11 or newer model as they have the head rest built in and shoulder seat belt. This works well to have all of us travel together and have the X to be able to take everything with us.

I know that you mention to not bring up the Xpedition, but, we purchased 1 last Dec, also an '11. I have since also converted the front console to the 20 jump seat, as the f150's. There are even fewer 9 passenger models of the Xpedition out there, but some. Fairly easy conversion, and the 20 jump seat has the built in headrest and shoulder seatbelt. While by no means does it compare to the X, we can still take short jaunts together as a family of 9, and it does well around town for the wife, or when we all go together. Plus like you mention the added safety features work out well, the updated comfort is also appreciated.

While I did look at the suburbans when we were looking to purchase a 2nd vehicle, I just did not like too many features about it, plus they never came with an option for 9 seating, plus I was lucky to find a good Xpedition.

Just saying.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:41 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jspence105
When they build a battery that works at -40 I'll consider one, until then you can keep then in California.
I agree. Or being able to recharge in about five minutes and then go for 500 miles before spending another five to recharge.

Honestly, it is hard to beat the ease of use that gas/diesel provide. For alternative fuels, I think natural gas would be about the only way that comes close.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:53 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
Electric cars are only the rage when it is popular to be so, especially when the oil prices are high as it the fear of "climate change."

Now that oil is plunging and gas is becoming cheap again, people are ditching their hybrids. Shoot there was a story the other day about the rising demand for Hummers!

I think with the modern motors from the EcoBoost to the Diesel, a new line of Ex's would not only be possible, but economical. As long as they can keep the purchase price down, they would sell like hotcakes!
I don't believe that, any reasonable person knows that the gas prices are temporary. Tesla seems to think their huge new battery plant is a good idea.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't believe that, any reasonable person knows that the gas prices are temporary. Tesla seems to think their huge new battery plant is a good idea.

I bet Tom trades in his prius for a V10 X within a month!

Old 12-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, Tesla has insanely fast recharge stations all over the country and on top of that, the recharge is free. So, if you own a Tesla, you can drive for free cross-country. They offer the same deal in Europe.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

You also have the option for a full battery swap which gives you a full charge in less than 90 seconds. That is faster than filling up at the gas station.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Also it's called a Tesla... that's actually pretty cool

Old 12-14-2014, 10:09 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Magnus E
FYI, Tesla has insanely fast recharge stations all over the country and on top of that, the recharge is free. So, if you own a Tesla, you can drive for free cross-country. They offer the same deal in Europe.

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

You also have the option for a full battery swap which gives you a full charge in less than 90 seconds. That is faster than filling up at the gas station.
I can imagine how boring the drags will be in the future........did he run yet?

Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can imagine how boring the drags will be in the future........did he run yet?
Haha - BMW have speakers in their new cars that changes the sound of their 6 cylinder to sound like a V8. A Tesla Excursion with a 6.0 PSD sound might be in our future...

Old 12-14-2014, 01:30 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Magnus E
Haha - BMW have speakers in their new cars that changes the sound of their 6 cylinder to sound like a V8. A Tesla Excursion with a 6.0 PSD sound might be in our future...
No thanks.

Quick Reply: Rollover