Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

2015 Tennessee Garden Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm - good idea. Left and right of the big tire I have some "Trumpet" planters that will fit in the gap between. I was also thinking what to do with a matched pair of larger plastic planters that I need to put something under to lift them high enough to fit in the back of the gaps.

I have always wanted to start some asparagus crowns, which last about fifteen years, but take at least a year to set.

From your experience with them, how big around a pot, or how many quarts/gallons should an ideal Rosemary container be? The trumpets are 16 inches inside diameter, and 18 inches deep, the larger white planters are 18 inches inside diameter (total width 21 inches) and equally deep.

PS: Getting some very light snow flurries this morning, I think I will do a thread here that I can post NWS weather report/discussion info in as a year long reference.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could start with the smaller planters, but if they are going to be semi-permanent, they should be fine in the larger planters. You shouldn't need to transplant again if you use the bigger ones.

You could put spearmint and peppermint in the smaller ones....that will keep those runners contained, and as long as you trim the flowers before they go to seed, you won't have to worry about a mint invasion.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Dunno about mints - but a pair of Habanero's in the trumpets would be a nice touch.

Add some FIRE to the display...

Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good morning Dutch!
I thought you might like this.......

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I've seen varients like those - pretty cool, but flipping mega-tires like I'm using calls for a machine.

One of my "Working on my first cup of coffee" thoughts today is to look down in the area I have cleared of trees and bushes to see if there's some really well composted dirt down in that bottom. It's a natural place for incredible soil to form. I'll grade it in terms of how easy to dig it is, and hopefully drag out a few cart loads.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
(?) Roger? Have you got any Rosemary seeds you could send my way?

Obviously YOURS worked...

Again this year I have good amounts of Basil Seed, I harvested what turned out to be three quarts of loose dried leaf.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:05 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Wolf, I don't think I harvested any Rosemary seeds....short-sightedness. I just expected my plant to keep growing forever...I will try to get some this year from whatever I can score at the local nurseries.

I completed all my pruning for this year, except the one rose bush in front. It has to be cold for a few days either side of pruning roses, or they lose too much sap.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I suppose I should look around online then.

I know Horizon Herbs has an upright variety but they seem limited and it may be to my advantage to have a live plant sent.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Seriously....check out Ace Hardware stores in your area. They are right NOW clearing out all their old plants to make room for new ones. I wasn't lucky enough to find a Rosemary plant, but you might score one or two.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
No wheels yet, I'm watching for my Tax return to post in my account.

This weekend I should be able to nab a Suzuki sized battery (although a tractor battery should work) and if I have to - send for a throttle body. If everything works, then I have to register it, which I maybe should have already. Transferring the insurance can happen over the phone, but not until the last minute.

One thing is for sure - 50MPG will be a machine the likes of which I'll have a blast with!

I should do some more on THAT today, since I've still got poison Ivy on me. If I hang the battery support and front end on it in the next day or two I'll be right on top of the schedule.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
My Winter Aconite and some crocus are blooming....seems a bit early.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
According to local records in Drummonds (right next to the Big River) the average last freeze of winter is March 22. Stand by - I'm going to see if I can dig up climate info for west, central, and east TN

Okay, I found a real useful toy at DavesGarden online. Enter your zipcode and it will retreive last frost info from the national climate prediction center.
Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/

Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Great videos! "Pepper Joe" in person - that was a kick.

But you know what? One of the things pepper Joe doesn't mention is that for each pepper type and variety, and completely separate from the heat or scoville factor, is that each pepper tends to have an entirely separate flavor of its very own.

Also, cooking a pepper in various ways tends to reduce the heat factor because cooking them does two things:
1) The acids in the pepper that give them their heat or "BITE" become distributed in the food they are cooked with.
2) The acid itself that makes them hot seems to get broken down in cooking - so they become milder.

But getting back to the main point here, different peppers have a unique "SIDE FLAVOR", a 'SABOR" or savor that is special to them.

The Habanero is noteworthy for a curiously 'SMOKEY' aftertaste. Anahiem Chili's have a thorough going well rounded "Pepper Flavor" without being very hot at all. And Bell Peppers of course have a very sweet flavor, but there is a hint of classic "PEPPER" in the taste of them.

The active acid in hot peppers is "CAPSAICIN". The higher the concentration in the pepper as naturally grown, the purer the capsaicin in it is, the hotter it is to the tongue.

And there is a lot of BS out there about what you should do if you bite into a pepper that is too hot for you - water does very little good.

Milk has only a little bit of effectiveness.

FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT CHASE IT WITH A CARBONATED BEVERAGE!!!
Carbonated drinks, especially BEER will MULTIPLY your pain, because they wash out the protective oils in your mouth, and help to bubble the capsaicin deeper into your sensitive taste buds. Do that and you will be in severe pain...

Believe it or not, the best cure for too much fire is plain old table salt, or something with salt in it. This is why salty tortilla chips are served with salsa.

Joe got it wrong about the most popular pepper in Mexico by the way - it is the Poblano, which is like a Bell Pepper sized and shaped Anahiem Chili. Interestingly - when they have been dried and reconstituted they have an "APPLE" flavor to them, which is a peculiarity of that particular pepper. When they are dried, they are called "ANCHO" chili's.

One of these days I think I'd like to ride out and talk to mister Joe and share some thoughts. God knows I need some advice on what to do about the soil I have around me.
Pure silt is a challenging growing media, it needs to be modified extensively to be useful.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
I thought you would appreciate the site. I love peppers, but am no expert on them. You seem to have done enough research for both of us.

Quick Reply: 2015 Tennessee Garden Thread