Sponsored by:

Why Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Mrs_Apocalypse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Diesel?

Hi all, need help. I am here posting this at the request of my husband (Apocalypse). We have been arguing constantly about the fact that he wants a new Excursion (a diesel) and is not happy with his. He suggested that I create a thread and try to find out some information. My questions:

What is the actual benefit of having a diesel motor instead of a regular gas motor? Especially for someone who would only be driving around town and traveling very rarely.

How much more expensive is maintenance?

How much more expensive are repairs?

Any information that anybody would be willing to share would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
So, here is my two cents, and I am a diesel owner.

Just about everything with a diesel is more expensive, from the fuel to the oil changes to the parts. It all adds up and adds up very quickly.

In regards to how it will be used, that is also another concern. If the Excursion will only be running around town doing short runs to the store and back, then gas, not diesel, would be the best way to go. Diesels need their legs stretched at highway speeds and need to be given the time to warm up to operating temps. This can be hard to do if it is just doing beer and grocery runs.

However, to some people like myself, diesels have an appeal to them that one just does not get with a gas engine. There is a sound, a feel to them that just can't be matched. They are great for pulling and for the long highway trips.

I guess I would say, that if you can afford the diesel, and that is what he really wants, then go for it. BUT, if the money is not there, and the Ex is only running around town, then the V10 gas version would most likely be the best upgrade from what he is currently driving.

I am much like your husband on this topic, always looking for that "better" thing. Just help him see and understand what he wants, and what you can support, and then find the best of both worlds.

My wife and I did this before I got my diesel Ex, it has been way more expensive than we thought, but now that we are over the hump of the pocketbook shock, we just can't see our family without our Ex.

Good luck, and I hope this has helped.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Only coming in here this one time and just to post this one thing... This truck I might eventually possibly get (the 6.0) will be my last vehicle ever (barring an accident or act of God). I am planning on keeping it in perfect running order and driving it forever.

/END

Old 12-04-2014, 11:10 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I have an entire dissertation on D vs G.
Here is a recent article:
Want To Save Thousands On Your Next Car? Buy A Diesel

Old 12-04-2014, 11:31 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without getting into the gas vs diesel debate, I will say this. It's alot easier to pay for something that you like than it is for something that you don't care for. I have and enjoy both and hopefully they will last me the rest of my life. I have no desire whatsoever for anything newer.

My wife wasn't too crazy about the F-450 when I brought it home. Now I can't keep her out of it...lol.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:32 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David really did a great job in expressing the difference. I've owned both a v10 4x4 and now a 4x4 diesel. For me it was more about the feel and sound of the diesel that made me fall in love with it.
Both are upgrades to what you have now, but from reading your husbands post I don't think he will be happy until he gets a diesel. If you buy a gasser, sure he will be happy but I'm sure he would be on eBay still looking at diesels.
I have suggested numerous times to him to be patient and save for what he really wants.
Like David mentioned the 6.0's will cost more all around to maintain and I always tell people be prepared to bulletproof the motor or at least oil cooler, egr... Common problems with the 6.0 diesel. If you come across one already done, check paperwork on upgrades also keep in mind that even a bulletproofed 6.0 can still come back and give you oil cooler problems in the future. About 3k in savings for this should be available.

With all this said, I could never go back to a gasser V10. The diesel beast I drive now feels like an unstoppable TRUCK compared to just an suv.
My wife of 29 years still doesn't get it, as she wants me to drive any other suv on the market. I can afford any suv made including Range Rover, Porsche etc. but I feel happiest when I drive my EX. Guess it's a guy thing.
On another note, when we travel she admits there is nothing like our EX. I also average over 18mpg which means I leave Fort Lauderdale and stop in North Carolina for fuel and can continue to CT. This is a big plus for us.
Hope this helps,
Michael

Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 AM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
So, here is my two cents, and I am a diesel owner.

Just about everything with a diesel is more expensive, from the fuel to the oil changes to the parts. It all adds up and adds up very quickly.

In regards to how it will be used, that is also another concern. If the Excursion will only be running around town doing short runs to the store and back, then gas, not diesel, would be the best way to go. Diesels need their legs stretched at highway speeds and need to be given the time to warm up to operating temps. This can be had to do if it is just doing beer and grocery runs.

However, to some people like myself, diesels have an appeal to them that one just does not get with a gas engine. There is a sound, a feel to them that just can't be matched. They are great for pulling and for the long highway trips.

I guess I would say, that if you can afford the diesel, and that is what he really wants, then go for it. BUT, if the money is not there, and the Ex is only running around town, then the V10 gas version would most likely be the best upgrade from what he is currently driving.

I am much like your husband on this topic, always looking for that "better" thing. Just help him see and understand what he wants, and what you can support, and then find the best of both worlds.

My wife and I did this before I got my diesel Ex, it has been way more expensive than we thought, but now that we are over the hump of the pocketbook shock, we just can't see our family without our Ex.

Good luck, and I hope this has helped.
Agree with everything he said. I own a 2002 with the 7.3 diesel. I love my truck and the engine I have and would never trade it for a gas one....that being said I do acknowledge the gas engine is probably the "smarter" choice as my daily driver given the fact yes the fuel is more and oil changes too and heaven forbid an injector or something goes out. Some of those cost can be minimized by doing the work myself and I am by no means a mechanic but I can follow the instructions the fine folks on here post and use YouTube for whatever I can't find here. Diesel is one of those kind of you have to pay to play things. But given the potential costs I chose to go diesel and couldn't be happier.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:40 PM
David - WI
Senior User
I have a V-10 and would rather have the V-8 that you already have.

The V-10 is overkill for 99.9% of what I do with the truck. I very rarely use more than 1/3 throttle even pulling my 20' boat onto the freeway in 75 mph traffic... and the V-8 you have makes more than 80% as much power & torque as this pig does; so it would do just as well for what I do.

Given a choice (I really wasn't) I would take the V-8 and 15% better fuel economy and save $600 - $1200 in fuel every year... enough to pay for the truck in about 5 years just in fuel savings.

The big engines (gas or diesel) are great the very few times that most people ever actually need them; but they cost extra every time you drive them. Unless you regularly tow as much as the Excursion weighs or travel through the mountains often... the V-8 you have is the one to get.

If you just like throwing money away, you can get the same fuzzy feeling tossing $20 bills out the window while you drive the V8.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:45 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This is purely from a woman's perspective and is not an answer your gas or diesel question. I own a V10 Gas; have 5 brothers, 2 ex husbands and 3 grown sons.

Men are much happier when they are driving the vehicle they really want, rather than one the have to drive out of necessity. Many do the latter because that's what they "need to do" but you have to consider all the factors not just the dollars. Nothing worse than a man who settled for something he didn't really want.....they will quietly whine for years and years.

If your family can afford the 6.0 - let him get it - would be my opinion.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:37 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
This is purely from a woman's perspective and is not an answer your gas or diesel question. I own a V10 Gas; have 5 brothers, 2 ex husbands and 3 grown sons.

Men are much happier when they are driving the vehicle they really want, rather than one the have to drive out of necessity. Many do the latter because that's what they "need to do" but you have to consider all the factors not just the dollars. Nothing worse than a man who settled for something he didn't really want.....they will quietly whine for years and years.

If your family can afford the 6.0 - let him get it - would be my opinion.
Christina, you also have a new friend! This is well said and you are 100% correct, this is not about diesel or gas but more about what he really wants

Old 12-04-2014, 02:40 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
Nothing worse than a man who settled for something he didn't really want.....they will quietly whine for years and years.
So we are all passive aggressive?

j/k

Old 12-04-2014, 02:55 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
My wife and I had this debate quite a few times while we were looking for an SUV. What it came down to for us- we can't afford a newer vehicle, can't stand the thought of having a worn out engine at 200k miles (gasser), and looking at diesels, don't want to 'bulletproof' an engine that may continue to nickel and dollar us to death... we went with a 7.3 as a do-it-all and (hopefully) lasts-20-year investment.
Had it now for about 2 years and couldn't be happier. My wife loves to drive it too.
Good luck...

Old 12-04-2014, 02:59 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
My wife and I had this debate quite a few times while we were looking for an SUV. What it came down to for us- we can't afford a newer vehicle, can't stand the thought of having a worn out engine at 200k miles (gasser), and looking at diesels, don't want to 'bulletproof' an engine that may continue to nickel and dollar us to death... we went with a 7.3 as a do-it-all and (hopefully) lasts-20-year investment.
Had it now for about 2 years and couldn't be happier. My wife loves to drive it too.
Good luck...
So you didn't want something that will nickle and dime you but yet you bought a 7.3?

Old 12-04-2014, 03:10 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Oh yeah. I like to work on my stuff for relaxation doing fun upgrades, etc. Not because something broke!

Old 12-04-2014, 03:16 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by David - WI
I have a V-10 and would rather have the V-8 that you already have.
I have a V-10 with an SCT tuner and I'd still jump at the chance to get a diesel if the $ was right.

Quick Reply: Why Diesel?