Sponsored by: Moser

F-150 purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 06:57 AM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F-150 purchase advice

I will be looking to purchase a used F-150 in the next few months and would like to get some advice on a few items .........

The truck will be a daily driver (work, hunting, fishing, etc), rarely used to tow anything, and will be counted on during MN winters. I'm hoping to spend under $30,000 and think that puts me in the 2010-2012 range, give or take.

Here is a list of features I'd like to have on it:

heated mirrors
BlueTooth connection
trailer hitch/receiver (are these standard ?)
remote start
super crew 4-doors
engine block heater
keyless entry
keyless go (ie push-button start) - is this available ?
sync system (might not be the actual name)

How much of that is standard on a Lariat ? Am I likely to find a XLT with those options ? What other trim levels should I consider ?

As for engine, I'd like a V8 and would like the most dependable with the best available gas mileage - I think thats pointing me towards the 5.0, but if a slightly bigger engine was a big upgrade in reliability, I'd do it.

Are there any auto transmission options to choose from ? Or years/engine-tranny combinations to avoid ?

I dont think I need a 'towing package' - I assume that means lower gear ratio and maybe a tranny cooler ? Is that something I can avoid ?

Any other general advice ?

I know its a long post, but appreciate your input.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
* There's just one transmission (6 speed auto) with the 5.0L. Same on XLT and Lariat.

* Bluetooth comes with SYNC. Just look for SYNC on the truck and you'll hit both those wants. Very common option with XLT, probably on every Lariat.

* Heated mirrors and keyless entry are options on XLT but are commonly found with most trucks. Probably on every Lariat.

* Trailer hitch is an option. It's hit and miss whether you find it. You need to make sure it is on the truck you're looking at. Or you can add it yourself. Even more uncommon is the trailer brake controller. That is a really nice feature but you'll have a bit of hard time finding it outside of a Tow Max truck.

* Remote start and block heater are options. You'll need to look for it specifically, but likely to have remote start on a Lariat. Block heater is extremely easy to add yourself. Remote start can be added but is more advanced job.

* There is no push button start. You'll need to use the key every time.

Simple summary is you can easily find what you want in a XLT except for remote start. Lariat makes finding remote start easy. Block heater is a regional thing and you can easily add it to any truck.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 AM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QwkTrip

Simple summary is you can easily find what you want in a XLT except for remote start. ...

Glad to know I dont need to rule out an XLT.

As far as engine goes, would the 5.0 be my best choice based on my lack of towing and MPG/reliability focus ?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:20 PM
celltech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so you know you can buy a brand new XLT crew cab 4X4 for 32. I was in your same situation a year ago. When I realized for a couple thousand more I could get a new one it was a no brainer. Check out Freeway Ford in Bloomington or Tenvoorde Ford in St. Cloud.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:28 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by celltech
Just so you know you can buy a brand new XLT crew cab 4X4 for 32. I was in your same situation a year ago. When I realized for a couple thousand more I could get a new one it was a no brainer. Check out Freeway Ford in Bloomington or Tenvoorde Ford in St. Cloud.
Good point. I was going to point out you could get a brand new 2014 STX super cab for less than 30K with the options you listed. There is no factory push button start on the pre-2015 F150's.
Don't rule out the 3.7 liter V6, that engine has better power and torque than the 4.6 liter V8 it replaced.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:43 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll sell you mine for $30,000.......just kidding...maybe
For the record this is not a for sale listing as such would be a site infraction

Old 12-04-2014, 09:48 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Check the factory incentives and financing packages. Your probably in new truck territory.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:11 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Cash purchase or finance? Any wiggle room over the 30K mark?

The good thing for those of us who buy new trucks is that used truck prices are way high. The bad thing is, you can get into a new truck often times as cheap as you can get into a used truck. Used trucks with high miles are still fetching serious money.

I would have a sit down with someone and dealer and discuss financing options, incentives, rebates, warranties and ways that the dealer can sweeten the pot for you either in bed liners, free oil changes, etc.

The lots are loaded with 2014's and the dealers are dealing. Remember, if you're financing, you have the right to negotiate your financing terms as well as the price.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:35 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I'll sell you mine for $30,000.......just kidding...maybe
For the record this is not a for sale listing as such would be a site infraction

j/k

Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 AM
meborder
couple things.

to get a factory towing hitch, you need to order the towing package. this doesn't affect gearing, but will get you an upgraded radiator and external transmission cooler along with all the proper wiring at the rear of the truck. all are good to have even if you don't need them. For about the same price as the factory option, you could have an aftermarket hitch installed, but you won't get the wiring (you'll still have the 4-flat connector, but not the 7-pin). money wise, it is a no brainer. if you want a hitch, get the factory package -- you get a LOT for your money.

IIRC, the engine heater comes standard with the 5.0 as it is a flex fuel engine. because of cold start concerns with e85, they install the heater from the factory. this might not be true in the far south, though ... but as i understand the literature, flex fuel engines get the heater.

engine choices in the crew cab, if you want 4wd you have the 5.0 and the 6.2. if you can live with 2wd, then you can get the 3.7.

all are turning out to be VERY good engines. very few reports on here of problems with any of these. the 6.2 is a monster. more simple by nature, lots of power, very reliable, but lower mileage than the 5.0. the 5.0 is a slightly more complex design, but over all that doesn't seem to be making it more reliable by comparison. I wouldn't upgrade to the 6.2 based on reliability, but rather on "need" or "want"

for mileage, get the lowest (numerically) gearing you can find for a given combination. for towing go with the highest (numerically) gearing available. so far, the kings of mileage seem to be the 3.7 and the ecoboost with very tall gears. the 5.0's don't seem to get the same mileage as these two because generally you get higher (numerically) gearsets with that engine (presumably to keep the towing ratings up). that is to say a 5.0 with 3.31 gears is not available except in 2wd, where as you can get a 4wd ecoboost with 3.31's (and still tow over 8,000 lbs).

lots of good info above!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:30 AM
conger
Posting Guru
My son has a 12 - 5.0 with 3.55 gearing and I have a 13 with eco and 3.73 gearing with max tow. Well get nearing identical mileage. I don't understand why. It just seems to happen. Both trucks are bone stock but mine is quite a bit more dressed up than his. Go figure

Old 12-05-2014, 10:36 AM
conger
Posting Guru
For what it's worth it think you get a better deal by ordering max tow instead of adding the extras separately.
My last truck before this new F150 was a SD diesel and I towed with a Prodigy controller.
I think Ford did a great job with the factory controller. Mine gives my all my info in real time on the instrument center display.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
meborder
Originally Posted by conger
For what it's worth it think you get a better deal by ordering max tow instead of adding the extras separately.
My last truck before this new F150 was a SD diesel and I towed with a Prodigy controller.
I think Ford did a great job with the factory controller. Mine gives my all my info in real time on the instrument center display.

maybe true, but the downside to ordering the max tow is that you get 3.73 gears and either the ecoboost or the 6.2. which may not be needed and will get lower mileage than an otherwise equivalent truck with taller gears.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:23 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by meborder

maybe true, but the downside to ordering the max tow is that you get 3.73 gears and either the ecoboost or the 6.2. which may not be needed and will get lower mileage than an otherwise equivalent truck with taller gears.
I don't know about that. I'm getting 25 mpg Canadian when I'm not towing. I think that's pretty good for a 5800lb pickup truck. Keep the tach under 2000 when you're cruising, that translates out to about 70 mph. That's fast enough for me.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 PM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 5.0 with a 3.55 limited slip. Lariat with leather heated/cooled seats. Super Crew with a 6.5' bed. The truck now has nearly 48,000 miles on it, but the mileage is still 19.1. I bought it new after Christmas 2012 and got nearly 10K off the over 42K sticker. If some other engine trans combo has pulled out an equal or better mpg over that many miles, I've not seen it.

Quick Reply: F-150 purchase advice