Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated 1990 460 EFI. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:24 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffunkel
FYI, these trucks have 16-20 quart (4-5 gallons) coolant capacity. You must have a leak somewhere, or be burning coolant through the head gasket. Head gasket problems are rare with the 460 though. When cold, the coolant level should be to the very top of the radiator, and to the cold fill level in the overflow reservoir. You may want to invest in a cooling system pressure tester so you can pressurize the cooling system to 13 PSI and see if it holds pressure. If it doesn't hold pressure then you have a leak somewhere whether you can see it or not. You can also pick up an infared heat gun or temp probe for a multimeter for pretty cheap. That way you can point it at the radiator, thermostat housing, etc and see what temp you engine is actually running.
Well i guess that was the problem, I did not put 4-5 gallons in when i flushed and filled. I am going to flush and fill again this weekend with the correct amount of coolant and borrow my brother in-laws pressure tester. I guess that would explain the problem. Man do i feel like an idiot. I still blame the moron at autozone who told me that my capacity was two gallons. I wanted to geta digital guage that tells me the correct engine temp at all times, probably strt on that next week once i figure out where to start!

Thanks geoffunkel

Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 PM
geoffunkel
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you just drain and refill the radiator, maybe only 9 quarts or so will come out but the total capacity of the whole cooling system (including passages in the engine block, heads, etc, is 16-20 quarts depending on your radiator (Some have HD cooling package, A/C, Manual vs Auto, etc). Most blocks have drain plugs in them as well, although sometimes they are difficult to get to. You will never get every drop out unless you take apart the engine. So 2.5 gallons (10 qts) is probably a good guess for a simple radiator drain and refill.

The correct amount to fill is with the radiator completely filled to the top and then slightly above the cold mark on the overflow. This pretty much applies to virtually every car. I like to fill the radiator all the way up cold, then start the engine with the radiator cap off. The level will drop slightly with the engine running. Slowly add coolant and occasionally squeeze the top radiator hose to try to burp out any air in the system. When all air is out, and the radiator is topped off, then put the cap on. This should only take about a minute. Don't allow the engine to get hot with the cap off.

Oh, and I would do the pressure test before the drain and refill. If you do find a leak, you'll probably just have to drain it again.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:09 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Originally Posted by geoffunkel
Well if you just drain and refill the radiator, maybe only 9 quarts or so will come out but the total capacity of the whole cooling system (including passages in the engine block, heads, etc, is 16-20 quarts depending on your radiator (Some have HD cooling package, A/C, Manual vs Auto, etc). Most blocks have drain plugs in them as well, although sometimes they are difficult to get to. You will never get every drop out unless you take apart the engine. So 2.5 gallons (10 qts) is probably a good guess for a simple radiator drain and refill.

The correct amount to fill is with the radiator completely filled to the top and then slightly above the cold mark on the overflow. This pretty much applies to virtually every car. I like to fill the radiator all the way up cold, then start the engine with the radiator cap off. The level will drop slightly with the engine running. Slowly add coolant and occasionally squeeze the top radiator hose to try to burp out any air in the system. When all air is out, and the radiator is topped off, then put the cap on. This should only take about a minute. Don't allow the engine to get hot with the cap off.

Oh, and I would do the pressure test before the drain and refill. If you do find a leak, you'll probably just have to drain it again.
I have A/C & Automatic,( A/C doesnt work) dont know if i have HD cooling or not.
I will definetly check the pressure first, When i drain and fill i drain everything out then stick the hose in there and let the truck run for about 20 minutes then turn the hose off and let all that drain out. then i put some coolant system cleaner in their and let it run for about an hour then drain and fill with coolant an distilled water. I know people hate stick normal water in their but sense im draining at the same time it sounds good to me i guess. Is that a pretty standard drain and refill?

Old 12-04-2014, 04:19 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
This is why I either buy a thermostat with a bleeder or drill a small hole in the flange.
It will pass enough air to let you fill 99% of the cooling system.
Then overfill the reservoir a bit before you take that first drive.
The radiator draws from the bottom and it will take as much fluid as it needs when it cools down.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:01 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
This is why I either buy a thermostat with a bleeder or drill a small hole in the flange.
It will pass enough air to let you fill 99% of the cooling system.
Then overfill the reservoir a bit before you take that first drive.
The radiator draws from the bottom and it will take as much fluid as it needs when it cools down.
How does these thermostat's look?

Amazon.com: Stant 45359 SuperStat Thermostat - 195 Degrees Fahrenheit: Automotive Amazon.com: Stant 45359 SuperStat Thermostat - 195 Degrees Fahrenheit: Automotive

Hypertech/Thermostat - Performance 1018 at AutoZone.com

Old 12-04-2014, 05:42 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The AZ link leads me to "Page Not Found".

Stant used to be good thermostats and radiator caps.
I would just drill a 3/32-1/8" hole in the flange.

RobertShaw from FlowKooler are good too.

Stay away from MrGasket products.

I don't buy any snakeoil like 'Failsafe' or whatever...
Why do I want a thermostat intended to fail???

Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X2 on the Failsafe snake oil ones! Just had to replace the ones I put in both my Fords and my daughter's Buick because they failed. Stuck open on purpose. I thought I was doing something smart at the time, but oh well. Live and learn!