6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Water In Fuel Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 PM
chperry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water In Fuel Warning

I was about 2 miles from my home today when the Water In Fuel Warning appeared on the dash. I drove home and got everything read to drain the water separator. I crawled under the truck and the wiring harness was unplugged from the filter housing and wrapped around the rest of the harness. I just last week had both fuel filters changed during a routine oil change. It appears the dealer left the wire unplugged. I drained some fuel just to be safe and as expected found no water. I plugged in the wire and started the truck. The warning went away. Here is my question: Has this event set some stupid bit or trigger in the ECM that Ford can use later to deny a claim? I called the dealership and talked to a tech who said "no". The service manager is supposed to call me tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:33 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good question and I hope you get a truthful answer.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:53 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. The warning light is there for a reason, which is to warn the owner to service or pay attention to the fuel filter. Just as you have a DEF warning light if it is low, you have a meter that tracks oil life.

It is all simple standard operational procedure.

As for the tech denying accountability.....WOW, who would have thought that? As for the Service Manager getting excited about it, wouldn't hold my breath.

Carry On and enjoy the truck,

Old 12-02-2014, 06:07 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I think the tech was saying no about the WIF logging concern, not that he didn't connect the plug.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:25 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
I think the tech was saying no about the WIF logging concern, not that he didn't connect the plug.

Gotcha,,,,

Old 12-02-2014, 06:54 PM
pstroke67
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes any time we install a new WIF sensor we have to reset the counter using ids and yes we can tell how many times WIF has been tripped and how many miles you driven with the warning on

Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 PM
chperry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The worst part is I only thought the message reset. It didn't! I just restarted the truck and the water in fuel warning is still there and now it says reduced power. I drained more fuel, still no water. I wonder if the sensor is bad? I will have it towed to the dealer tomorrow. I am afraid to drive it.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by chperry
Here is my question: Has this event set some stupid bit or trigger in the ECM that Ford can use later to deny a claim?
Even if it did leave a trace in the pcm, what could they possibly claim happened that would affect the warranty?

IMO, you worry too much.

Forget it and go on.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I would not worry about. But from now on go behind the person that does any of the routine stuff to ensure it was not properly. Always request the old parts back as well.

The people that do the oil and filter changes are not always that versed in the job.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 PM
pstroke67
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Even if it did leave a trace in the pcm, what could they possibly claim happened that would affect the warranty?

IMO, you worry too much.

Forget it and go on.
When us techs first thing ford ask us are what codes are stored in pcm so if they see that water in fuel codes present that's possibility high pressure fuel system may be damage so anytime we get trucks with crank no starts ford has us tear down fuel system to check for rust or any other contamination when water fuel codes are present

Old 12-02-2014, 08:01 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
People get crazy when I tell them how many miles and engine starts they have driven with a CEL . They always say " it just came on " ...... Just saying .

Old 12-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by pstroke67
When us techs first thing ford ask us are what codes are stored in pcm so if they see that water in fuel codes present that's possibility high pressure fuel system may be damage so anytime we get trucks with crank no starts ford has us tear down fuel system to check for rust or any other contamination when water fuel codes are present
But the warranty isn't voided just because some event was recorded by the pcm.

That's all I was trying to relay to the OP.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Dude STOP driving your truck now! Get it towed to the dealer and ask them WTF is up. If they left the sensor unplugged, then ask them about it. Me personally, I would have them tear that fuel system apart especially with the reduced power message. I mean, I would just rather be safe then sorry.....

Old 12-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I can see this is getting a little hostile...

To Chperry I understand the concern - many people ON THIS FORUM have reported that their fuel system grenaded and Ford didn't cover the warranty repair. The fuel pump is a really touchy subject and water in it being reported even if not factual would be a concern of mine. My solution would be to make sure it was documented that the WIF wire was unplugged after dealer service and there was no water in the system verified by the dealer. Most likely that sensor will be replaced and IDS reset as Pstroke67 was saying it should be.

I *might* also let Crystal know so that you know 100% that this is documented and that the regional Ford Service Manager (not the dealer service manager) is aware. I had to do this when the dealer put the wrong additive in my coolant. I drove the truck with it in it, they didn't want to change out the radiator or hoses etc... The did the Flush procedure but I had it in writing if there was a coolant related issue it would be covered, even out of the original 3/36k. That was my 2011 and nothing ever came of it.

I wouldn't stress out over it... Document it, get it towed, get it fixed and then enjoy the truck. The odds are highly in your favor that nothing will ever come of this.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
I can see this is getting a little hostile...

To Chperry I understand the concern - many people ON THIS FORUM have reported that their fuel system grenaded and Ford didn't cover the warranty repair. The fuel pump is a really touchy subject and water in it being reported even if not factual would be a concern of mine. My solution would be to make sure it was documented that the WIF wire was unplugged after dealer service and there was no water in the system verified by the dealer. Most likely that sensor will be replaced and IDS reset as Pstroke67 was saying it should be.

I *might* also let Crystal know so that you know 100% that this is documented and that the regional Ford Service Manager (not the dealer service manager) is aware. I had to do this when the dealer put the wrong additive in my coolant. I drove the truck with it in it, they didn't want to change out the radiator or hoses etc... The did the Flush procedure but I had it in writing if there was a coolant related issue it would be covered, even out of the original 3/36k. That was my 2011 and nothing ever came of it.

I wouldn't stress out over it... Document it, get it towed, get it fixed and then enjoy the truck. The odds are highly in your favor that nothing will ever come of this.
Excellent post, rep gun empty......

Chperry, documentation is key in any later, but highly unlikely, disputes. It's a simple oversight fortunately, just make sure they state exactly what you found on the repair order. I'd follow the tow driver to assure this happens and to be present to sign the repair order. Then you'll get your truck back and forget this ever happened.

Quick Reply: Water In Fuel Warning