1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F1 fender rust repair and patch forming. TRY 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:11 PM
49 Merc P/U
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ax, thank you for all your time and effort. I will use the info when I get to the body work. The most precious thing we have to give is our time as we have a limited amount of it. Thanks again.

Bruce

Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 1LIFE
Nice job. Learning the art myself.

I spy '56 PNL [ThumbsUp!]
Yep, that's Gracie.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:27 AM
newguy399
Senior User
Ax, very good info you are sharing with us. It will be helpful when I get around to body work. Wish you lived in chicago so I could take lessons in person from u.
thanks

Dan

Old 12-05-2014, 10:00 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
You can come to NC! If I could get a couple-three students interested in a hands on metal shaping class I'd offer a weekend or week long workshop. It would be fun and not too expensive.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Ax, very good info, too bad that your not in the patch panel business, I bet you could sell a few of those front fender patches.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
Ax, very good info, too bad that your not in the patch panel business, I bet you could sell a few of those front fender patches.
I had toyed with that, but then when I got into doing this one I found even the these two fenders didn't match side to side I could never be certain the patches would fit without having a number of examples of all the years to check how much variation there was, plus I would have to invest a fair amount of money on metal instead of MDF forms, materials, tools, machines and equipment more suited to production, then I would need more shop space. It would make more sense to offer to repair individual fenders.
I'd rather teach workshops and/or make how-to videos and sell those rather than patch panels.
The fact that the two people that started producing patches seem to have soon gotten out of the business is also a strong hint.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 AM
newguy399
Senior User
Ax, I would love to come down there if we could get a couple guys to journey down. We just had a baby two days ago so it would have to springtime If we could do it.

Dan

P.s till then please keep the tips and tricks coming

Old 12-05-2014, 01:50 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by newguy399
Ax, I would love to come down there if we could get a couple guys to journey down. We just had a baby two days ago so it would have to springtime If we could do it.

Dan

P.s till then please keep the tips and tricks coming
I'd be willing to do a weekend personal 1 on 1 workshop. Meanwhile I will continue to share and help. Congrats on the little one!

Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Frank-1
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Ax, great job! I'm currently fighting a similar repair in the same area on the driver's side lower front fender (your second fix). Would you be willing to hammer out another patch just like that one and sell it to me? I'm keeping the bumper but could easily cut that section out of the patch.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Frank-1
Hey Ax, great job! I'm currently fighting a similar repair in the same area on the driver's side lower front fender (your second fix). Would you be willing to hammer out another patch just like that one and sell it to me? I'm keeping the bumper but could easily cut that section out of the patch.
Is the doubler around the fender opening solid for reuse or will it need replacing?
The frame opening would need a flange bent in the panel to give a clean edge I think (I'll look at it Sunday). It's a little tricky to make because of the J roll at the bottom but it's a possibility. We can take our discussion to PM or email so we don't get scolded. I'll get back to you Sun or Monday.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:01 PM
jgp1952
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
You can come to NC! If I could get a couple-three students interested in a hands on metal shaping class I'd offer a weekend or week long workshop. It would be fun and not too expensive.
Hi Guys,

Working with Chuck has been a great learning experience. I have tried to teach myself on how to do metal work previously but it would take many years to learn what he has been teaching me. If you all hold a weekend training session, I'm definitely game.

I'm curious, who would be interested in a learning session on how to chop the top of their F1? If there is interest I'd offer up my truck as the class example.

Here is the fine print : only if Ax is the one doing the cutting!!!! :-)

-Gary

Old 12-05-2014, 08:03 PM
1LIFE
Junior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
^
If I get the Transporter ('56 PNL) completed wouldn't mind stop through on way to SC & Dragon.

As always good work. Watching.. .

Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Never noticed the scratch awl in my square.........thanks.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:03 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jgp1952
Hi Guys,

Working with Chuck has been a great learning experience. I have tried to teach myself on how to do metal work previously but it would take many years to learn what he has been teaching me. If you all hold a weekend training session, I'm definitely game.

I'm curious, who would be interested in a learning session on how to chop the top of their F1? If there is interest I'd offer up my truck as the class example.

Here is the fine print : only if Ax is the one doing the cutting!!!! :-)

-Gary

That would be a tad more expensive a class than just a week end basic metal shaping workshop. It's a pretty big commitment of (my) time and energy. Even a master like Bill Hines with experienced helpers needs a week to chop a top at SEMA If it's a complex one, like some 40s era fast back sedan, he visits the vehicle prior to the show to study the job and do some preliminary prep work.
I figure at least 80+ hours of solid work time (2 weeks of 8 - 10 hrs days) with a couple/three strong and handy helpers and a good photographer/videographer to record the whole thing and no hidden surprises in the vehicle. It can be done, the F1 cab wouldn't be the worst top to give a haircut. Aside: First chop I ever attempted on my own (Previously I was one of the helpers on a radically chopped model A coupe body for an altered drag race car my HS car club owned/was building as a club project, a couple years before I got my driver's license!) was a 59 English Ford Anglia panel truck when I was just 18. I oxy-acet brazed it all back together, it was the only "welding" equipment I had available.) It wasn't real "pretty" since I knew very little/nothing about sheet metal shaping/smoothing and it was for another race car, so a 50 footer was all I was after/had enough skills to do at the time.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:16 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 1LIFE
^
If I get the Transporter ('56 PNL) completed wouldn't mind stop through on way to SC & Dragon.

As always good work. Watching.. .
Only if you promise not to try to run the dragon with the 56 PNL even at a slow speed! And let me come along with the Solstice. I've run the gap a number of times with my Miata, but I'd like to take the Soli thru it before they decide to bulldoze it straight! It's on my bucket list!!!!

Quick Reply: F1 fender rust repair and patch forming. TRY 2