Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the dash on my 91 xlt lariat f250

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Snacky
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
decontaminated the cab and the dash. discovered a flex tubing duct that had been chewed through. tracking down a replacement. started installing sound deadener mat. my dash has a some nasty cracks on the bottom side which i will post pictures of. i want to repair these cracks before i reinstall the dash. maybe i can put fiberglass or bondo in these spots? in one area there is a hole about the size of half a penny.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Snacky
Senior User
there is a product that has several different names i would like to recommend when installing a new heater core. i used this product to get a good seal on the lid to the a/c box where the heater core is. i also used it as a adhesive to put the strip/pad back onto the new heater core. also using it to seal the firewall. I picked this up at a commercial glass shop. i know this can also be bought at westwood auto parts. the glass guys called it dope on a rope. it's also called windshield caulking. i've used this product when installing quarter glass on a g body monte carlo. i'm sure it has multiple uses. it is basically a string of black rubber compound wound up in a spiral. it has paper separating the caulking so that it doesn't stick together. the caulking does not dry and can be kneeded into any shape with your hands and won't stick to your hands but leaves a black residue. I also believe Eastwood sells this product at a inflated price.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Snacky
Senior User

winshield caulking/quarter glass putty/dope on a rope/window caulk etc.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Snacky
Senior User
i got the new dash in. i'm still not done installing the darn thing though. there are so many friggin screws it's making my head spin. i got every pigtail reconnected though. i was about to give up on the dash when i found a box i forgot all about that has bags with labels on where all the tiny screws go in the gauge cluster area. i detailed the gauge cluster lense and the gauges. i just need another hour or two to get all the screws in there correct places. i actually need to remove some i put in the wrong places.

the worst thing about this is i take the pig tail from the heater control and run it to the pig tail on the new heater box and they don't match up. wtf?

now i got to go to the junk yard and chop a pig tail out of another truck that matches my heater control... this is so lame. i guess i ordered a year specific heater box or something. i'll post pics of what i'm dealing with tomorrow and pics of the dash in the truck. i was just hustling all day and didn't have time.

aaaaaaand i can't find my friggin glove box. it's gone. now i have to find another tan glove box at the junkyard and i never see tan interior 87-91s at the yard ever

Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Looks like progress. Keep those pictures coming!

Old 02-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Snacky
Senior User
here is a pic of the new dash in. still wrapping things up. i started another post with another question. please check out the thread. i need your advice on this topic.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Snacky
Senior User

well i got a good bit done today. i cut a vacuum pig tail from a heater box and adapted it to my heater box with some vinyl tubing. i then cranked the truck up for the first time in several months. looks like the horn in functioning again. and if it's good then i'm assuming the cruise control is back. it was probably a loose pig tail connection.

i tried to turn on the heat and nothing happened. i couldn't even get the blower motor to turn on. not sure whats going on there. more stuff to trouble shoot i guess. i'll check the fuses. hopefully that's all it is. it could be a loose or disconnected pig tail that i missed. or maybe the heater control that i pulled from the junkyard is bad. i had to replace my original because it was covered in rat funk.

i need to go back to the junkyard and find the metal head light and windshield wiper plate that both of the controls ***** slide through. mine is missing.

do any of you know where these two pig tails go to? these are the last two that i have to connect. i can't find where they go and i forgot

and if any of you have a tan glove box please hook me up. couldn't find one anywhere at the junkyard today. i can trade you some stuff. i have a full set of upper and lower door hinges. the uppers need to be rebushed. i have a gauge cluster lense that doesn't have the hole through it. i have some extra windshield trim... some things that i could trade

Old 03-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
The top photo is most likely for the door jam switch(looks like 3 wires going to it,not sure about that, most connectors had one or two wires) for the dome lights. 2nd photo is the connector for the highbeam switch on the floor.

Looking good there!

Old 03-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Snacky
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
The top photo is most likely for the door jam switch(looks like 3 wires going to it,not sure about that, most connectors had one or two wires) for the dome lights. 2nd photo is the connector for the highbeam switch on the floor.

Looking food there!
thanks. everything is wired up now. all systems go. even the horn and cruise control and a/c and heat are functioning like they should.

and the funk has been eliminated.

so now i'm taking the truck to a friends shop who is going to smooth out the roof. one of the supports will need to be cut out and the roof massaged and then the support will need to be tacked back in a fortified. the roof has a bad bend in it. some idiot probably stood on it.

then i will finish sound deadening the cab.

then i will install the roof lights and then put in the rest of the interior.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Snacky
Senior User
Thumbs up

Hello again community. I would like to give a shoutout to all of those who have helped me on this forum. Without you I would not be as far along as I've come on trying to bring what was initially a catastrophe of a truck destined for the scrapper to a working mans truck.

This thread has evolved from dash removal to my partial restoration thread. I have not posted in a long while. My steering column had some serious issues. I had to locate two other steering columns in order to rebuild mine. 6 months later the column rebuild has been complete.

Just to update I quickly list the items I have fixed and replaced thus far.

Rebuilt and rebalanced steering column with new u joints

transmission filter and gasket

new timing cover

front tank fuel sending unit

water pump

egr deletion with a shorter belt

new compressor and dryer with high tech residential refrigerant

master cylinder

power steering pump with filter- 4th pump! (3 bad out of the box in a row american quality manufacturing is dead)

starter

ford alternator

starter solenoid

custom built battery cables

3 batteries all under warranty! - 3rd battery from napa (american quality manufacturing is dead)

power window motors from rock auto

door lock actuators from rock auto

hood from a junk yard

tail gate from a junk yard and new components installed inside

in door speakers

replaced dash with another dash and vinyl dyed the dash to match original color

shift indicator from another truck

a/c system beneath the dash

a/c controls

ford heater core

steering column rebuilt with 2 other salvaged columns

steering wheel

entire vehicle and interior pieces decontaminated with hydrogen peroxed/dishsoap/baking soda in a pump sprayer (will remove/ sterilize the smell of death - tip for all you mass murderers out there)

fat mat insulation on all surfaces including entire firewall

dyna tape (rip off) and hvac tape (ecomical and fiscal and just as good)

left over heat shield insulation from toyota dealership which I had to use on my prius (long story - had to decontaminate the prius too - had the same problem - a infestation!) which was installed on the back side of every single interior panel

brand new carpet

brand new headliner

custom bench seat from a 99 dodge ram 1500

cab roof light kit installed on the roof

bumper

reese drop hitch modified and mounted to frame using high grade bolts

2 spare tires mounted in the bed
spare tire carrier beneath the bed restored and a 3rd tire installed

4 load rated tires

4 steel wheels with load rated tires bead blasted, sealed with self etching primer and white rustoleum enamel

true dual exhaust with flowmaster knockoffs installed and exhaust kicks out to either side of the spare tire and rear tank - sounds awesome!

removed the glued on side trim

realigned doors - one door received a new hinge - the other i salvaged a hinge from the junk yard and rebuild it with a pin kit

here are some of the latest pics. I should be finished installing the interior of the vehicle in the next two days. been slaving on this truck like a madman since the steering column situation had been solved

now these last couple of pics i'm including because i'm hitting a dead end. I can't remember how to properly install my rear seat brackets. I'm doing something wrong. can someone post a pic of their brackets or tell me what i'm doing wrong?! thanks!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Snacky
Senior User
i attached the bottom plate on my bottom cussion upside down!!! doh!!! i think i can finish the interior today!

i found a diagram by searching back seat removal to determine what everything is supposed to look like

Old 01-06-2016, 02:06 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looking good! That's a whole lot of stuff you replaced... all the better and good on you for saving another old Ford from the scrapyard.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:36 PM
Chad Gentry
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jas88
The harness stays with the dash. You first must disconnect the harness on the engine side. It has one 10mm bolt in the center, back that out and pull the plug away, then you push the white part thru from the engine side. Also there is a nut up underneath the steering column that bolts the dash to the pedal assy. Easy to miss.
I have wondered the same thing. I am trying to remove that also so I can switch out a dashboard that I got from junkyard. Thanks for the tip!.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Snacky
Senior User
Wow. It's been a long time since I have been on. I experienced some extreme financial hardships and health problems and lost alot of memory. In order to stay afloat and keep food on the table I sold the truck for $3500. I should have hung onto it as it would have sold for much more now.

I've had to sell every classic car I have owned thus far for all th same reasons. Now I'm down to my grandpa's f100 which I won't sell and my Tacoma.

That f250 was a great truck. The custom bench seat I adapted from a 95 dodge ram 1500 40/20/40 split bench was what really made it aside from completely gutting the interior.

Sorry to deliver the bad news but when I got a notification on a post a update.

As the world especially the United States becomes more orwellian and our rights are sold out from underneath us by the people that represent us in exchange for third world health care, neverending war, stagnant wages that don't rise with inflation rates, all in the name of the destruction of the family unit, look to classic cars. We all must do our best to preserve these machines. It is a opportunity for family to bond with one another and create something that can be enjoyed and passed down from generation to generation. In the end the most important thing you can have is your good memories and your family. Grow that and nurture the idea creating a classic automotive restoration with your family and you will cherish those moments for the rest of your life.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Snacky
stay tuned. i'll show all of you how to defunk a vehicle. i fill a pump sprayer up with hydrogen peroxide, 1 box of baking soda, and 2 cups of dish soap. follow with pressure washer. repeat.
Baking soda and soap then fill with peroxide? Is that for 1 gallon? Do you rinse with water or a wet rag?

Originally Posted by Snacky
I experienced some extreme financial hardships and health problems and lost alot of memory. In order to stay afloat and keep food on the table I sold the truck for $3500. I should have hung onto it as it would have sold for much more now.

As the world especially the United States becomes more orwellian and our rights are sold out from underneath us by the people that represent us in exchange for third world health care, neverending war, stagnant wages that don't rise with inflation rates, all in the name of the destruction of the family unit, look to classic cars.
Sorry to hear about that. Financial issues usually do not allow for you wait to sell something at top dollar. Yea, crazy things going on all over the place.

Quick Reply: Removing the dash on my 91 xlt lariat f250