Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

HELP ! Water in gas tank - How to ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Clif Daniel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP ! Water in gas tank - How to ?

How can I test to find out if there is water in my fuel tank , fuel lines, etc.
The symptoms are obvious, how do I test for sure.

In the event that I'm correct, what can I do to get it out of the tank and fuel system.

I suspect that a lower form of life has put water in the gas tank of my 2003 Escape 3.0L . I sent it to a shop, that was a nightnmare . They came up with every misfire and etc. including bad windsheild wipers burned out lightbulbs .
Trying to sell me new coils plugs , etc etc ... even though I kept telling them that of course its misfiring if there is water in the fuel. Please test for water in the gas .

I finally went and took the car with intake plenum pulled off. Paid them half of R&R for pulling the plenum and I'm back to square one. They did everything but check for water in my gas tank or fuel lines.

Thanks
Clif Daniel
Kansas City

Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Clif Daniel
New User
The car has alway run like a dream, had the best of care through dealership service.
It ran like a dream when I parked it . When I started it the next morning it was missfiring and displaying all of the things you would expect from somebody putting water in the gas tank. My girlfriends sociopathetic ex would have done something like this. In fact this morning he calle dher and told her that he hadn't seen my car around, whats the matter is his car broke down ? Yes, he is a stalker type with legal action pending... thats another story.

In the event that there is water in the tank and fuel system, what do I have to do to get it out of there. What filters, pumps, lines need to be checked replaced. I haven't turned many wrenches since my long gone street racing days. I'm rather clueless to the new fuel systems . Out of luck and money here, need some advise .

Old 12-01-2014, 01:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
Sounds like an insurance claim to me.

You will have to pull the tank and clean it out.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Clif Daniel
New User
How to test for water

I'm wondering what the best way is to test for water in the tank of this 2003 Escape. I don't really have the facility for detailed analysis, the car is sitting in the driveway. I've been looking at the fuel lines trying to decide what the best place to get a fuel sample is. And wondering what the best way to drain the tank is going to be. I need to know if there really is water in the fuel before I go any further with repairs .

Old 12-03-2014, 09:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Best thing to do is drain some in a glass jar and let it sit for a few.

If it comes out kinda bubbly there maybe water present.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:27 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If you think it is a LOT of water, then the best bet is to drain the tank. You can jumper the pump under the rear seat cushion panel, drivers side and disconnect the fuel line under the hood at the fuel rail. Or remove the tank, etc etc.
If it is not so much, you can add a water absorber, such as Heet, a form of alcohol that will mix with the water and make it combustible.
You might pop for a locking gas cap to prevent a re-occurrence. I think about $10-15 for a Stant, but that was a while ago.
The only way to be sure if there is water is to capture some fuel in a clear container. If there is water, it will be globules at the bottom of the container. For the most part, it will not mix with the fuel, but you may get a fuzzy rather than clear looking liquid if your fuel contains alcohol and has absorbed some water. If you are in a cold place, you can put the container out in the cold, and if there are water globs at the bottom, it may freeze, though I have never seen it that way.
tom

Old 12-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Airbrush
Senior User
In your case, or the case in which someone has an ongoing feud with another party, a dramatic divorce etc I recommend getting a fuel sample tested because if indeed someone tampered with your tank, they could have been exceptionally creative and you won't be able to identify the contents with a visual inspection. Where I live, CAT and other places do this for $65. When the results are back you know EXACTLY what is in your tank. It may be nothing at all (paranoia), it could be pancake syrup, Roundup, urine or ethanol in such a high concentration that you may consider taking action against the gasoline retailer.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Clif Daniel
New User
I've been trying to get gas out of the tank with a cheap syphon hand pump from Harbor Freight. I've puched the tubing as far into the tank as i can get it turning it slowly to navigate any tornes or baffles. Blowing through it a little from time to time , I can't seem to reach gasoline . Is it impossible to syphon gas from the filler tube ? Where is the best place to sample fuel from ?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:59 PM
senix
Super Moderator
drop the tank. then open it up.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:52 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You do not need to drop the tank for access. Flip the rear seatcushion on the drivers side out of the way, pull back the carpet. You should see an access plate. Remove the plate, and the fuel pump & driver and you'll have full access to pump or siphon out the fuel.
tom

Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I didn't even know that! Great tip

Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Clif Daniel
New User
found the pump access panel

and for anybody else that might have a similar issue in the future .

right under the drivers side back seat cushion

am going to learn about the ford fuel line connectors , and that round bezel takes a special wrench that has to be rented. but this looks to be the best place to get into the tank.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Years ago you could take a screwdriver and tap the ring loose if you were patient.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Clif Daniel
New User
it was tempting , because I sure need to get into it. I was afraid I would break it . I may come up with something if I don't find a tool that I can borrow. I have to get this car running soon.

I haven't a clue about these fuel line connectors, do they twist off ? I was afraid to mess with them too much. I'm no stranger to a wrench but I stopped working on cars when they stopped making real ones . So I'm figuring this out as I go.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I am not familiar with those connections. I bet though if you do some searching on youtube that you might find something to assist.

Quick Reply: HELP ! Water in gas tank - How to ?