Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

December intellectual conversating time

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:50 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Im always good with meeting at your shop Alan!

Old 12-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Afternoon everyone. I'm one step closer to getting the '87 into full time use - the heater core has been replaced. Only got a dozen or so things left...

Once I get the Jeep on the road (tomorrow hopefully) I'll pull it up next to the shop for the rear axle swap & new rear brakes.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
Dave, think we can get our old Fords done before the new Star Wars drops? It would be neat to drive our old trucks to a futuristic movie.
I'll have the '87 ready by then for sure. I think it would take a miracle to get the '71 ready by then. Besides - December in a drive-in would be a little chilly...

Old 12-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Does anyone know a good source for speedometer drive gears? I'm going to need to swap them out when I drop the 3.55 rear under the truck...

Old 12-26-2014, 04:53 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Evening All!

I got the Mazda done except for color sanding and buffing which will take place tomorrow morning. Between my abdomen and my back, I was just about in tears by the time I left today and I only worked about 5 hours. I'll be glad to get this thing out and paid for so I can play with the Thundestang a little.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:14 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Dave, just about any transmission shop will have them. Alan, don't tell the doctors that you're outworking Chip Foose, they'll hobble you like Kathy Bates did James Caan in Misery.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
Dave, just about any transmission shop will have them. Alan, don't tell the doctors that you're outworking Chip Foose, they'll hobble you like Kathy Bates did James Caan in Misery.
Thanks Chip. Now if I can just figure out which ones I need...

Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Grems4ever

Thanks Chip. Now if I can just figure out which ones I need...
Tell them the gear ratio, transmission and tire diameter, that should get it.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:14 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
good morning Missouri.. nice haul rich..i see a few items for the backpack....
alan I will try to make it for sure..i will need to work on something to bring. I guess I could bring my big bad "ford courier " if I can get the clutch unstuck .ha ha ha ha ha

dave would be nice if I could park my bump next to another one in the bump section at alans GTG ..

Old 12-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by whiskey runner
dave would be nice if I could park my bump next to another one in the bump section at alans GTG ..
It sure would be, but time is the real enemy...

Old 12-27-2014, 08:01 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Good Morning Everybody!

RC. The easiest thing to do would be to bring the Chevy up here soon. That way I can have the body work and paint done in time to put a for sale sign in the window for the show.

As soon as I get Tiff's jeans in the drier, I'm off to the shop to color sand and buff the Mazda. Then a friend of mine is bringing over a truck to get some tinkering done on.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:13 AM
fordrealdrive
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Howdy all, thank you for the compliments on my brackets! I'm getting excited to see it come together...the truck hasn't had a rear bumper since '06. The chrome step bumper that came with it was bent out on the passenger side corner from the PO and I just removed it when I did the 6" lift.

Yesterday, I dropped my receiver hitch so I could drop the rear tank out (which needs repaired) to get access to the factory mounted nut insert for the bumper, to transfer that point over to my brackets. My plan is to use at least 4 maybe 5 bolts for mounting, per frame rail...overkill ...I know.

Also, got more aluminum polished and 4 pieces of the trim installed on my shell....that was fun outside in the cool weather ...the other thing I did, was pull the heater blower motor out of my parts jeep to replace the one in the DD jeep.

Rich, that dentside silhouette is too cool! I'm guessing it's about 2' tall and 2.5'-3' wide? Awesome!

Alan, car show and gtg sounds like a lot of fun, I'll have to see how it goes...I'm getting worried about driving the truck on a fairly long trip due to the fact that my tires are approaching 8yrs old. They have close to 35,000 miles, still half tread or better and no issues so far, but they are showing small signs of dry rot around the lugs. It's going to be a BIG dent in the pocket book if i have to buy a set of 37-38" tires this next year.

Good day everybody....I'm off to get something at least a little closer to being done!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:40 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,280 Likes on 2,438 Posts
Chris yes 2' tall and 2' 4.5" outer mirror edge to outer mirror edge. I might looking into get some more made for FTE flip sale items..... I know a few guys that like the 79 Ford lol.

Fat snow coming down here, was so nice yesterday.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Evening folks.

No snowflakes here, just sleet and rain for us. This Jeep is trying hard to to make my life difficult. After spending most of the day engineering a makeshift bushing puller/installer, Harold and I finally got the driver's side control arms changed out. After comparing no-name control arms to the Moog units, I am convinced that close enough doesn't cut it when it comes to suspension parts.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and finish up the driver's side, get the driveshaft back on, put load back on the suspension and torque everything down. If the weather is nicer than predicted, I may go ahead and start breaking the other side down... Now that we know how to do it, the other side should be much easier.

In case you're wondering, he's trading labor for labor. In return for the labor on the Jeep, I'm getting assistance in bringing the '87 up to speed.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:11 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Dave. Moog parts are usually heavier duty than OEM. I've even run in to cases where Moog parts will only fit in to other Moog parts. For instance, if you have an '88 Chevy pick up and get a Moog tie rod end, it won't fit the truck. You have to replace the entire steering linkage to use the Moog parts. The up side to that is, you'll never have to replace them again.

Well, it looks very promising I'm going to be less one truck tomorrow. There's a guy that might trade for the '78 Ranger. He has a '71 Torino blue on blue, 302/auto. There's almost ZERO rust in the usual places. The bad thing is, it used to be a vinyl top car so the roof skin rotted out and took the floor pans with it. It runs and drives and even the interior pieces are in nice shape. I just have to make a new roof skin and floor pans for it. So, uh.....RC. When you drop off the Chevy for paint, do mind helping me roll a new roof skin?

Nothing is for sure yet, but I should know something tomorrow.

Quick Reply: December intellectual conversating time