1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Parasitic draw

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:29 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have your owners manual, so you know what fuse 2,3, and 4 supply power too? I have had problems with the door jam switches going bad too, there in the latch. they wont keep a light on or anything but the wire will chafe and could prevent the GEM from going into sleep mode. test it by leaving a door open and wait till the dome light goes off, about 15 minutes. If the light does not go out, you have a problem with one of the switches.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:36 AM
glassman2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parasitic draw

David 7.3 The fuses I named are the two labeled "Fuse Panel" (#2&4) plus the #17 labeled alternator and the #4 labeled EEC. There doesn't appear to be any issue with the interior lights as mine has no delay.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:41 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time to start tracing wires, do you have diodes in your fuse box?, are they installed the correct way? You know they look like black fuses. One is for the A/C clutch and there might be another for the alt. prevents backfeeding. you said you did unplug all the wires on the alt. right? So that's not it. Ever get water on the floor on the drivers side after a rain?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:03 AM
glassman2
Junior User
Parasitic draw

No issues with heater core or cooling system. There is one diode in box under hood but it can only go in one way as the contacts are perpendicular to each other. I have disconnected all three leads to the alt. but that had no effect on draw. Have also disconnected starter leads and A/C clutch leads with same results. Not being an electrical whiz, my assumption is any grounded lead would blow a fuse not cause a draw, would that be correct?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Your relay question finally jogged my memory. On later models there is a black color accessory relay box mounted on the in cabin firewall sorta behind the radio, up & to the right of the gas pedal. I think Rockledge posted a photo of it once & I haven't found it yet, maybe if he's reading this it'll jog his memory & he'll chime in. Here is a link to a parasitic draw problem on a later model, fwiw. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...overnight.html Not sure if your 94 has one, nor exactly where its located. But if it does have one, it would be worth checking, or at least thumping, to see if the draw would change, as those power relays are a known problem electrical part, so was a good idea to put them on your suspect list. Hang in there, I think your about to run it down.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 AM
pawpaw
Finally found the picture of the accessory relay box & a description of its location in an 09 thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7992780

Old 12-18-2014, 03:33 PM
glassman2
Junior User
Parasitic draw

To both PawPaw and Rockledge... Thanks. Again, weather is making things difficult but as soon as possible I'll be under the dash looking for anything like the relay panel pictured. Mine doesn't have door ajar warning lights or delayed interior lights but that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have some relays in that location. Stay tuned and I'll be updating. One thing certain is that I've eliminated a lot of possibilities with your assistance so far.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 PM
pawpaw
Did this problem come about suddenly, after some event????

Old 12-18-2014, 05:33 PM
glassman2
Junior User
Parasitc bdraw

PawPaw - Can't say for sure. First noticed after being away for a few days and vehicle sat idle. Its normally driven every other day or so but on this instance it sat for about three days. Tried to start it after return but battery was dead. Battery was over 4 years old, I assumed it was dying so I bought new one. Two days later the new one was dead which started the search for cause.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 PM
pawpaw
Ok that's interesting, makes me want to ask if you have wild critters around, like pack rats, chipmunks, squirrels, ect, that like to chew on insulation, build nests, & otherwise make themselves comfortable in our idle vehicles????

Old 12-19-2014, 04:27 AM
glassman2
Junior User
Parasitic Draw

PawPaw- Tell me about it... been fighting them for years but in all honesty I suspected them in the beginning as they've done in my gas lines as well as several other plastic components over the years. My thoughts were that they had chewed through a wire or two but so far I haven't found it if that's the cause. I also figured if they had and it was touching ground anywhere it would mean a blown fuse but that's not the case. Probably wouldn't eliminate a bleed through to another circuit though.
For what its worth I did find a solid solution for keeping them out of my trucks. A little sonic device made by Victor. Since putting the device in two vehicles over the past 8 months there hasn't been a single sign, inside or under hood. Of course it took two devices but they have done the job.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 AM
pawpaw
OK, the after market sonic device add on may be a clue, as its electrically powered, is a parasitic drain & if its acting out, could cause a problem. So maybe when you get down to the last little bit of draw when pulling relays & fuses, disconnect it & see how much the parasitic current drops. How do you have it wired so that its powered with the key off????
I also wondered yesterday about a faulty battery to engine, or body ground, causing a ground loop problem, as that can cause all sorts of crazy things to happen that don't make any sense on a trouble shoot. So perform a voltage drop test across your battery cable connections to the battery, engine & body & an end to end resistance & voltage drop test on the cables, to make sure you have good low resistance grounds & ground cable runs to the battery, body & engine. Being where you are on the west coast, in a high humid & if your close to the coast, maybe a salt spray/fog environment, that'll really be corrosive to your exposed electrical connections, so closely check with a wiggle, while electrically checking them for voltage drop & let us know how it goes. More thoughts for consideration.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:10 AM
pawpaw
Another thought, if this puppy has an auto tranny, add the tranny TRS wiring, or the TRS switch itself, located on the drivers side of the tranny, to your suspect list, as its been reported to cause all sorts of strange things to happen when it acts out & the wires to its electrical connector are low down close to the ground & easy to get at by critters.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:35 AM
glassman2
Junior User
parasitic draw

PawPaw - sorry for the misunderstanding, my sonic device isn't wired into the truck, I laid permanent wire to each parking spot so I could plug one in when trucks were parked.
If the weather will cooperate I'll get out there and follow some your suggestions. Its only about 35 today.

I did a quick look under dash and right of the accelerator this morning... brrr.
Can't find anything that looks like the photo posted by Rutledge but there is a smaller squarer box with at least one electrical plug to it. Not sure what it is but intend to find out soon as weather warms up a bit. Truck is a manual by the way and oddly enough there are no other electrical bugs of any kind, now or in the past.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:39 PM
pawpaw
OK, more good feedback. So it's a manual tranny & the anti-theft isn't hooked up to the vehicle electrical system & Rockledge posted back in 07 that a 94 doesn't have a GEM module, so we can eliminate that. So I'm not sure you'll find an accessory relay box either!!!!
You have confirmed that there isn't a problem with the tape player motor being stuck on, or the cabin, or brake lights being stuck on.....right????

Quick Reply: Parasitic draw