1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Sparkplug!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 AM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get it fixed?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Sorry to hear about your troubles, oh2sd.

This problem is caused by improper torquing of spark plugs and nothing else. Unfortunately for you whoever replaced the plugs last did it wrong, and that's why you're having this issue. You can get an OEM Motorcraft COP for around $50 online, or a cheap one from eBay for around $10.
this problem happens with original plugs as well so not buying the bad torque theory.

my theory is manufacturing design in that ont enough threads were allocated into this design which of course they quietly later corrected in later models by adding more threads.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:15 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

This problem is caused by improper torquing of spark plugs and nothing else. Unfortunately for you whoever replaced the plugs last did it wrong, and that's why you're having this issue. You can get an OEM Motorcraft COP for around $50 online, or a cheap one from eBay for around $10.
That's not true. Adding anything to the threads changes the torque and with 10 holes and plugs not being visible it's very easy to leave one+ finger tight if you are not a good mechanic.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:34 AM
oh2sd
Freshman User
it still has not been fixed. the mechanic that was going to do it backed out on me and i came down with some sort of 72hr flu so i was not able to get to it. i am currently looking for another local shop to repair it due to the high cost at the stealership. if i am not able to remedy it soon i am going to do a dorman or helicoil and trade it off.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:38 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

Not necessarily Tom...

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-09-2014, 12:07 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
You are just striking out today Tom ..............please don't ban me, lol.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 PM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
Originally Posted by oh2sd
it still has not been fixed. the mechanic that was going to do it backed out on me and i came down with some sort of 72hr flu so i was not able to get to it. i am currently looking for another local shop to repair it due to the high cost at the stealership. if i am not able to remedy it soon i am going to do a dorman or helicoil and trade it off.

Check your Private Messages.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

The plug blowouts are also caused by too much cylinder pressure as a result of the tune.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine fixed for $192 plus another $50 for a coil from Rock Auto. My fault for not checking, since it developed what I thought was an exhaust leak months earlier. I checked the exhaust with it running, found nothing and just drove it. There were enough threads left in the head that I installed a new plug in the killed hole, drove it to the shop. Probably could've just left it like that, but I didn't. I'd like to know if anyone else with a blown plug had a similar warning, since I have trouble visioning a plug simply yanking threads and all in one fell swoop.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:28 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
Got mine fixed for $192 plus another $50 for a coil from Rock Auto. My fault for not checking, since it developed what I thought was an exhaust leak months earlier. I checked the exhaust with it running, found nothing and just drove it. There were enough threads left in the head that I installed a new plug in the killed hole, drove it to the shop. Probably could've just left it like that, but I didn't. I'd like to know if anyone else with a blown plug had a similar warning, since I have trouble visioning a plug simply yanking threads and all in one fell swoop.
I agree; too much holding power with all good threads.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Gints
Senior User
Its been talked to death - it is fords design fault (to few treads) in early aluminum engines. I had two blown plugs on 2001 f250 v10. To much torque -striped tread, to little - loose plug. And ticking noise is tale-tale sign (loose spark plug.... or manifold leak - bouth nasty to fix ). Heli coil is temporary fix in the long run. Buy the way, dealers have aluminum inserts, by mine experience they last longer, may be becose they made off the same material as head.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Robertf2
New User
Welcome to the club.
I've had to repair 2 so far. My truck is a early '99 5.4. I used the Calvan kit. It's not hard to do. The main concern was getting the aluminum particles out of the cylinder. For that I used an air powered vac with a piece of clear plactic hose.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:21 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gints
Its been talked to death - it is fords design fault (to few treads) in early aluminum engines. I had two blown plugs on 2001 f250 v10. To much torque -striped tread, to little - loose plug. And ticking noise is tale-tale sign (loose spark plug.... or manifold leak - bouth nasty to fix ). Heli coil is temporary fix in the long run. Buy the way, dealers have aluminum inserts, by mine experience they last longer, may be becose they made off the same material as head.
It's been a long time since I've visited here, and am quite surprised that this issue is still being discussed. It's easily found with the search function.

I had a '99 F-250 years and years ago with the 6.8 V-10, blew plugs one at a time until I sold the truck having repaired 8 of the 10. It was so bad, I carried the thread kit in my toolbox on the truck and fixed it once on the side of the road. I got to where I could make the repair in about half an hour. I bought a '98 5.4 F-150 from a buddy for dirt cheap with a blown plug, and half an hour later I had an $1800 4x4 Lariat that I hopped in and drove a 120mi roundtrip drive to work everyday for several years.

You could say this topic has been beat to death.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superdutymj
It's been a long time since I've visited here, and am quite surprised that this issue is still being discussed. It's easily found with the search function.

I had a '99 F-250 years and years ago with the 6.8 V-10, blew plugs one at a time until I sold the truck having repaired 8 of the 10. It was so bad, I carried the thread kit in my toolbox on the truck and fixed it once on the side of the road. I got to where I could make the repair in about half an hour. I bought a '98 5.4 F-150 from a buddy for dirt cheap with a blown plug, and half an hour later I had an $1800 4x4 Lariat that I hopped in and drove a 120mi roundtrip drive to work everyday for several years.

You could say this topic has been beat to death.
If everybody searched for everything this forum would be like a panned out gold town.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's never going away search or not......neither will 6.0 issues......20 years from now someone will post about a blown spark plug.....have to consider also ones mechanical ability or experience as well.....while you were able to make short work of a plug repair it's not for everyone myself included.....shame really that engines that might otherwise be considered bulletproof have such a issue as us spitting out spark plugs

Quick Reply: Blown Sparkplug!