Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
December 2014 BS Thread

Figured I'd go ahead and toss it up.

Hope everyone has a productive week!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey folks. Not much going on really. Getting our bathroom remodeled, really need to do the kitchen too, but only so much money in the bank!

My 08 is really a nice truck to drive for sure. Still has a little vibration around 65mph, but not near as bad as it was when I got it! The only complaint I have with it is the fuel mileage. I need to get Travis (a friend) and start doing some playing with the tuning and see what we can get out of it.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 PM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Y'all.. Had to go do some Jeep stuff for a while. Bought another J10 Jeep to add to the collection. I didn't want to drive the F350 while rehabbing the interior or during the snow and thought that would be the answer.
I never learn. The new Jeep is not the runner I hoped it would be, now getting parts to fix it is no easy chore.
Had a friend total his 1978 Cherokee so I spent a few weekends in Morehead , KY transferring all his good parts into a 1979 Cherokee.
Suppose to be trading my 96 T Bird for a 1986 Wagoneer in WV. Not sure how that will pan out now.
My 1980 J20 is going in the shop for all new springs and suspension parts. just bought a gear Vendor gear splitter for it.
The 1981 J20 is about all cut up and stripped out.
The 1977 J10 Honcho is still patiently waiting to come home.
So that leaves me with my 95 F350. Been running like a brand new truck the last few months. Last week it blew the power steering hose off. Fixed it at work and noticed that there was diesel fuel in the manifold. Which explains the poor fuel mileage this last tank load. Fuel bowl looks wet all over. Could not see anything leaking from the pump, but also hard to see and I was not in the mood when I looked at it last night. Debating on switching the fuel pump while I'm at it with the fuel bowl rebuild or replace. 270,000 miles on this beast now, only the last 55,000 from me. Thinking maybe just putting all new stuff on top, new fuel bowl and pump. Anyone use DieselORings.com before.
It also is in need of new tires. Needs bearings repacked and brakes checked also.
Any thoughts?
Wish I had a lift or at least a garage big enough to pull this pig into. Maybe by next summer.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
You do have a collection of Jeeps. Have you talked to Steve at work about his Wagoneer? I don't even know if he still has it.

As for Diesel O-Ring's, yes he is a good guy. If you've looked up Guzzle on here, that's him. His o-rings are all OEM, which are the only ones that will work on the fuel and the High Pressure Oil systems these trucks have. I've tried some simple o-rings from Ky Motors, and they didn't last a week!

As for tires, I really like Coopers A/T3's. They served me real well last year in the snow, tread is aggressive enough to go off-road, but not aggressive enough to make a lot of noise on the highway. 6 of them for the F350 will not be cheap!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:20 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Trying to think of all the leak possibilities on the OBS truck. I had a 97 until last year. The fuel pump sits right in the valley, which I never understood why they put it there. When the pump goes out, there's a weep hole on it that squirts fuel like a water gun. There are several places on the fuel filter housing that can spring a leak. If the fuel pump is the problem, when replacing it, replace the 2 rubber hoses coming off of it. They are also Ford only items, and you will want to use those. There's a little heat shield that fits on them too. There are other rubber hoses you could us, but they won't withstand the heat from what I've been told.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 PM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
So when the fuel pump leaks it is a squirting leak? I didn't see anything like that when I was looking. It may be just in the fuel bowl then. I'll try to get ahold of DieselORings Tuesday. I never talked to Steve. Not sure which Steve I should talk too. I am the only FSJ owner here except another J 10 owner.

<EDIT> I know which Steve you are talking about now. He works just right down the street from where I work. Took me a while to think that one through.. .. No I haven't heard from him in a while now.

Last edited by HOOTs95PSD; 12-02-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Cause I'm old and forgetting things.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Did you ever see his J20? He sold it to his Dad a few years ago. I told him that if he lets it leave the family, he will be very upset with himself afterwards.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:44 PM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
I almost bought his Dad's old red J20. Some guy in PA is restoring it. That tan J20 he sold his Dad is a very nice truck

Old 12-12-2014, 06:44 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Not much going on around here. Work has dropped off for me which is normal this time of year. Christmas shopping was done Black Friday weekend for me. (my wife does more than enough shopping for the 2 of us) I've been experimenting with a couple things on my 08 for better fuel mileage. None have panned out so far. Yesterday I got an H&S tuner installed, so I will be playing with the different tunes to see what gives the best mileage. I will say this, the aggressive tune is a nice driving tune, but I'm afraid to put the go pedal to the floor! Not a tune for a work truck! (I was told that it would dino close to 600hp) It still has a small vibration in it, but it resonates off and on, and it is so small that I'm considering it a part of the trucks nature. My brother maintains that that it's the nature of our trucks, and it's the 225/75R-19.5 tires. Apparently it's a common issue with them. I hope everyone else is doing OK.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:00 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Not much going on around here. Work has dropped off for me which is normal this time of year. Christmas shopping was done Black Friday weekend for me. (my wife does more than enough shopping for the 2 of us) I've been experimenting with a couple things on my 08 for better fuel mileage. None have panned out so far. Yesterday I got an H&S tuner installed, so I will be playing with the different tunes to see what gives the best mileage. I will say this, the aggressive tune is a nice driving tune, but I'm afraid to put the go pedal to the floor! Not a tune for a work truck! (I was told that it would dino close to 600hp) It still has a small vibration in it, but it resonates off and on, and it is so small that I'm considering it a part of the trucks nature. My brother maintains that that it's the nature of our trucks, and it's the 225/75R-19.5 tires. Apparently it's a common issue with them. I hope everyone else is doing OK.
I've had a lot on my plate this month guys, and it's making me have second thoughts about being the "leader" of the chapter.

I'll discuss it later, in more depth and possibly get some input from Ryan and John (If they don't mind giving help).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

-In other news, I passed my Aptitude Test for the Millwright's Union, and am awaiting an interview with them.

-Still working for Appalachian Security up in the Martin/Printer area of Floyd County.

-As bad as I hated to do it, I HAD to drop my truck off at a shop in town last night to have my charging issue resolved. I haven't had time, a place, or weather to deal with it any longer and I can't have a dead DD vehicle.

Hoping everyone else is having a good December!

Literally less than 3 weeks left for the entire YEAR!!!!

*** Read please!****

If anyone would like to hang out, have a meet/greet, etc anywhere near Lexington, or EAST of it, PM me and I'll try to make something fit.

Dropping fuel prices?
Are you guys liking the falling fuel prices? Gas in Salyersville FINALLY dropped from $2.68/gallon for 87, doen to $2.49/gallon.

Diesel is definitely much cheaper (Sure John is appreciating that!)

Bought this little guy at the Salyersville Radioshack. Was originally $69.99 and they had it marked down 75% off!

It's a 9 band Cobra Radar Detector. So far it's been a VERY quiet model, only lighting up twice (Once in the Save A Lot parking area due to something in the building; and once on a KSP Trooper on Rt. 80. Otherwise, not a peep. Just what I wanted!

Sorry for the long post, just trying to make up for lost time.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:14 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I'm definitely glad fuel prices are dropping. There's a thread in Club FTE about the price of diesel. It's below $3.00 in some places in the country. The cheapest I've seen was $3.38 at a Speedway in Florence, KY. The places I usually get fuel is still at $3.49 to $3.69. Gas up here is generally higher than in most other places in the state.

As far as a meet, weekends are very busy with kids sports. Sundays would likely be better for me, but still don't know if I could make it. If you folks schedule a meet, I will say that I'll do my best to get there, but I can't promise it.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:17 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Friend of mine that lives in Richmond, said gas has fallen to $2.19 there.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:40 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Diesel is still 3.81 to 3.49 around here.

Don't know if any of you guys visited "The Club" on here lately, but there's been a change of rules. Apparently you need to be a 'Gold Club' member to discuss politics now. Even though I'm a member, I'm still excluded from that discussion.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:50 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
I don't know what the deal is with the price of diesel. I can remember when it cost less than gasoline. Then everyone had to have a diesel pickup truck. Now those of you that need it to work have to pay the price.

I've never been in "The Club" and I rarely discuss politics online.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:24 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Diesel has been going up as the requirements change to lower sulfur content. It takes more refining to make it now. Yes, it stinks to have to pay the higher price.

Quick Reply: December 2014 BS Thread