Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

The PA Chapter's "Merry Ho Ho and All that Jazz" December 2014 Chat and B/S Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:09 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Morning Rob.

Speaking of lower tier teams, Pat did you see that UAB might get their program shut down? Something about funding and can't keep the lights on?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:20 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by svolpone
i don't follow college much. i used to care about Penn State, but I just don't have time for it all. I follow the Philadelphia pro teams and that's about it. I don't even pay that much attention to them, except the Eagles right now, and that's because they are fairly interesting.
I follow the Cheifs, when I have time. Otherwise, its just the Huskers, since that's all we have for in-state football.

Originally Posted by liftnw8z
Morning Rob.

Speaking of lower tier teams, Pat did you see that UAB might get their program shut down? Something about funding and can't keep the lights on?
Yeah, I was just reading that. Sucks for them.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

i don't follow college much. i used to care about Penn State, but I just don't have time for it all. I follow the Philadelphia pro teams and that's about it. I don't even pay that much attention to them, except the Eagles right now, and that's because they are fairly interesting.
I don't follow anything NFL at this point. That whole league can go fly a kite as far as I'm concerned...

Old 12-01-2014, 11:21 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's nice being the big brother I guess. As you get older, you can buy car parts for your little bro's car!
A new CV axle, drum refresh kit, and a small socket tool set to get him started and back on the road, and it's something he NEEDS.

Gifts that actually mean something and serve a purpose, are appreciated long after the fact, and won't break, or get a cracked screen.

It's sad people think technology is the answer to happiness. Nobody really needs the new android, or isuck, its all for what, a few second faster phone/tablet? I know a hundred different things I could use that 400$ for instead of a new handheld device. If used properly, it's just another tool, to either be abused or used.

I remember one Christmas I was about 10, I got a carpenter set, came with a saw, screw driver, level, measuring tape, hammer, some other things I don't remember anymore and some instructions for building easy things. I used the heck out of that. What happened to gifts that motivate people to get up off their consoles and create something?

Done ranting. Fox p-ed me off talking about low black friday sales and it got me going in the chow hall. I think I need to sit on the BBC side, at least they show world news.

Wow, if it wasn't for the cold snap we had today, I would have never thought it was December already!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:27 AM
svolpone
Post Fiend
well John, that was a random rant. but that's fine.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:29 AM
svolpone
Post Fiend
ok, i've been here a year, and i have over 1600 posts. that's almost 5 a day. i think i yak too much.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

I'm running right around 11 posts a day, Steve...what's that say about me lol...

Howdy John. Yeah, the toys are quite different these days than in years gone by.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
They sure are Bill! Honestly, those kinds of toys still exist, but I blame the media and social pressures driving consumers to buy tech instead of tools. Things like allowance and chores have become a thing of the past for some of the younger generations. No chores, no money, no work ethic, at least that's how I was raised; to work for what I wanted if I didn't have the money, or it wasn't a necessity.

When I have kids, I'd like them to leave my house with a set of skills they can use. They'll be better off later in life. At least they'll know how to use a wrench and socket set if nothing else!

Again, ranting I guess. I miss PA, I could really go for a Juengling right about now.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

If I lost my cushy desk job today, I have enough skill set to be able to go out and do labor if I had to to make ends meet. My dad taught me those skills. I would fear for those just out of college now, or coming out of HS, whose lives are based around tech only. Manual skills are becoming harder to find.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Kind of why I want to go to school for Diesel/ general automotive Mech when I get out of the Army. It pays well, and Diesels are becoming more prevalent on the road today. I'd go crazy sitting in an office all day!

So many job choices out there, but jobs are limited in the field by experience and availability. Carpentry, mechanics, farming, hard labor industries and some I'm sure are important but have forgotten them, will always have a high demand for workers, but lack of skill-qualified applicants. Or just lack of interest because they aren't "techy."

Old 12-01-2014, 12:55 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
ok, i've been here a year, and i have over 1600 posts. that's almost 5 a day. i think i yak too much.
Well, I've been on here almost 9 years, and average 38.5 posts per day. That just means that you guys have waaaaay too much of a life outside of here, and are not contributing enough to the rest of us without lives.......

Old 12-01-2014, 01:07 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Originally Posted by ProjectDually
So many job choices out there, but jobs are limited in the field by experience and availability. Carpentry, mechanics, farming, hard labor industries and some I'm sure are important but have forgotten them, will always have a high demand for workers, but lack of skill-qualified applicants. Or just lack of interest because they aren't "techy."
A lot of it has to do with money, I think. You can make a heck of a lot more, a lot faster, working in tech fields and most want that instant $$$, or simply need it to pay off school bills and such. Besides, in the age of entitlement we're in, most think they're owed a living without effort...a whole other rant for another forum...

Originally Posted by 67nukeford
Well, I've been on here almost 9 years, and average 38.5 posts per day. That just means that you guys have waaaaay too much of a life outside of here, and are not contributing enough to the rest of us without lives.......
He's not slacking enough lol...

Old 12-01-2014, 01:18 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Age of entitlement. Well said. Pretty much just BS'ing anyway, not much else to do right before bed! Pat, with a post count like that, and having the time to post 38.5 posts a day consistently, I would have to wager it's time for you to start another project!

Old 12-01-2014, 01:20 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by liftnw8z
A lot of it has to do with money, I think. You can make a heck of a lot more, a lot faster, working in tech fields and most want that instant $$$, or simply need it to pay off school bills and such. Besides, in the age of entitlement we're in, most think they're owed a living without effort...a whole other rant for another forum...

He's not slacking enough lol...
I know. Get to it, Steve!!LOL

Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Age of entitlement. Well said. Pretty much just BS'ing anyway, not much else to do right before bed! Pat, with a post count like that, and having the time to post 38.5 posts a day consistently, I would have to wager it's time for you to start another project!
Hey John! I'm lucky enough to have a job, where I can work and post here at work all day. I'm usually too busy at home to get on here!

Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 67nukeford
Hey John! I'm lucky enough to have a job, where I can work and post here at work all day. I'm usually too busy at home to get on here!
What a coincidence, me too! I'm hardly in the office at all, but I'm always at work. But lucky me, I'm at work 24/7/365. At least for the next 3 years.

I've just had more time on my hands recently with the way my work schedule is. For a while I didn't have the time to get on here.

Quick Reply: The PA Chapter's "Merry Ho Ho and All that Jazz" December 2014 Chat and B/S Thread