1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 F100 (R)

Old 02-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Limburger
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah walt I know, The engine is controlled by a megasquirt V3, when I bought the truck, this ECU was already in it. So i keep using it, make it two separate controllers, one for the engine and one for the tranny. This option was Cheaper and so its more suitable for my budget.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:04 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Limburger
Wrong, the Netherlands (Holland) is Cheese land.

Yeah we have made it together but it took about 40-50 hours. But we nailed it on the measerments. They are correct till the last mm
I can't get past the smell of it to give it a taste. OBTW, nice truck!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:33 AM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
welcome to fte & congratulations on your truck that is a real nice one & good luck on your build you are doing a great job,this is a great family & you will get all the help that you need

Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Limburger
Cross-Country
Haven't told u guys about my tank clean project Saw and read some things about electrolysis. So I searched further and decided that I was going to give it a shot:

Hooked up the negative to the tank and positive to the bar in the water/soda solution, and let the proces work for about 24 hours. After 1 day results!:

After the first day, stil alot of rust in it but already some spots began to get clean.

Was thinking how it can be done faster, cause HE! were people and we want things done faster. Asked my boss and he suggested the battery charger from the workshop, I grabbed it and put it together again with fresh water and a little more soda (2,2 kg) made some new anodes (iron bars) and switched it all on. Average of 3 amp :

After 2 hours:

About 1 bar 0,75 day:

Last bar:

My mouth fell open when I emptied the tank:

But still I had some tricks in my sleeve to do to make it more clean. First I put it in a cementturner (don't know the word) and put some small rocks with some water in it. Made it water tight (as best as I could) and let it turn for about 45 min:

The I washed it with tank cleaner and deruster, and it came out beautifull!:

But the tank infront of a heater to make sure it was dry, in that time (60min) the tank began to rust again so I made the tank coat mixer quick and put it in and turned it for about 25-35 min, My arm were so tired but I wasn't able to see the tank until it was fully dryed (6 days).
Result!:

Slapped some paint on it, not smooth or something just to let it shine again:

Fuel tank READY! CHECK.

Next thing was engine removal:
Very sunny that day, and a mate was helping me that day. :

Now I'm making a strong stand to hang the engine in it so I can paint it nicely and make it all nice again. Check the bearings I think and do a compression test.

More will come.

Thx

Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 288 Likes on 166 Posts
Genius solution using the cement mixer (US term) to rotate the tank. Outstanding results.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Limburger
Cross-Country
Hi people, been a while since I posted some thing up here but have some nice things comming up for you guys. As you already know I pulled the engine to make it nice and shine again. I guy called me and asked me if I was interested in another engine, exactly the same as I have know included same gearbox, and also with the original wiring harnes and ECU running. So I said yeah give me a number. Guy said if you come this weekend you can have it for 250 euro's. Grabbed car and trailer and when't his way. Engine is not in great shape but it runs and that's a kind of sign most of the sensors etc work. So its a great donor engine.

Also made a cart to hang my engine on while i'm working on it. Yeah you can buy them straight out of the shop but I found them a bit illy.

Started painting the engine past weekend en also finished it. Colors are:
Engine metalic silver
Valve covers remain black
Intake Black
Pullies all Black
Headers Black
Oil pan Black.
Some of the pieces on top silver, like thermostat housing. etc.
Tranmission also metallic silver with black oilpan.
All bolts get redone in yellow/gold color.

Also started rebuilding my tranny my self on school as a project.

@work:

Shaving the engine with a wire brush:

Ready for primer:

Color:

Parts engine:

Rebuilding transmission:

Washing the shell:

That was it. starting this week with intake and making things ready for sandblasting.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Limburger
Cross-Country
Couple days back I did my last work to the engine, cause school and other kinda important things. Engine looks STUNNIN if I may self. Orderd some gaskets to make it hold oil and ***** again .

Brought the bolts and some brackets to a customer of my work they galvenize the bolts and give it a gold shine.

Like new again!

Sorted every thing and put them back in bags:

Finished all bushings in the AODE transmission, tomorrow I will starting to put it together at school. Hope I finish it.

Thx

Old 06-15-2015, 02:49 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You are doing a great job and its comming together really good.

I just want to give you a heads up......

When electro zinc plating parts, make sure that you dont zinc plate parts made of high strength steels like grade 5 or 7 and up bolts or things made out of spring steel. without treat the parts against hydrogen embrittlement. it needs to be done after the zinc plating and before the chromating (yellow) step,

The hydrogen embrittlement treatment is (if i remember correct) 180 degrees celcius for atleast 4 hours and afterwards the cromating.

Not doing so may (most probably) result in the bolts snap of by them self och under light load for some time.......

Dont want to scare you, just give you a heads up

Old 06-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Limburger
Cross-Country
Thx,

Yes I'm aware of that, these smalle gas lever springs will be just an experiment how they last

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Limburger
Cross-Country
As said I put the transmission back to getter without any problems I thought!?. Off course after I put it to getter i gave it a nice paint job and screwed the refurbished bolts back in. Engine is also almost finished just need to put on the alternator and the plug wires (witch i'm thinking of replacing just for the looks).

Also made a radical disision that I'm gonna let the complete truck get a respray. Had a very hard time searching pinking a new color, but completely fell in love with Sheridan Blue. The painter has give me a visit to discuss some things and so he can have a better look at the truck to make a price. Frame gets a respray to so it all will be like knew!! Very stoked to get started on the frame! Gonna paint that my self.

Put some new rings on the shaft from the oil pump, and greased it in good so the rings will stick better to the center when I lined the up in the middle:

Nearly everything back in it:

New gaskets everywhere:

After I wire brushed the complete housing to a nice and smooth surface I prepped and painted it. Looks need in my eyes!

Also the pan has a paintjob, but it stays in my room until the tranny is in the frame. So that it will not get damaged.

Very pleased with the progress until so far!