6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

late 04 no start Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:03 PM
cope1972
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
late 04 no start Please Help!

Late 04 6.0 I have Literally replaced all the high pressure oil system parts with the exception of the branch tubes. Ive replaced hpop, I have old styel pump therefore i replaced the j-tube on the pump, ipr, icp, stand pipes, dummy plugs, nipple cup orings, injector seals and orings. started out originally a no start diagnosed it to bad hpop so thats when i replaced the pump and the ipr it then started like a brand new truck everyday but had a hot no start. so i replaced all the other parts... still start like a brand new truck but had a hot no start. i noticed when hot koeo ipr would be 14.7% but once started cranking went straight to 85% so i thought maybe i have a failed ipr. I went and bought a new ipr and all parts replaced are oem parts. I started the truck idling great for about 20 minutes drove it down the road to get it opened up and warmed up real good never even got to open her up about 3 miles from my house truck dies. i had to get pulled back home... i pulled the icp pigtail still would not start but it is brand new icp sensor. koeo ipr 14.7% crank immediatly goes to 85% hpop only goes little over 200 psi.. ive got the ipr air test line that goes straight into the ipr port and have done an air test no air or gurgling from the oil filter housing. but i have a strong his and feel air on the passenger side oil rail near the back#7 injector. injector. The injector seals still look good so i dont think it is the injector. I'm curious is there a way to tell if i may have a hole or bad branch tube? im considering pulling my oil rails and swapping side with the rails and doing an air test again and see what happens... Also, considered pulling the turbo and hpo pump cover and running air again see if there is a leak still at the j-tube.. I dont know were else to look or go im stumped on this one.. Please help!! Thank You!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cope1972
Late 04 6.0 I have Literally replaced all the high pressure oil system parts with the exception of the branch tubes. Ive replaced hpop, I have old styel pump therefore i replaced the j-tube on the pump, ipr, icp, stand pipes, dummy plugs, nipple cup orings, injector seals and orings. started out originally a no start diagnosed it to bad hpop so thats when i replaced the pump and the ipr it then started like a brand new truck everyday but had a hot no start. so i replaced all the other parts... still start like a brand new truck but had a hot no start. i noticed when hot koeo ipr would be 14.7% but once started cranking went straight to 85% so i thought maybe i have a failed ipr. I went and bought a new ipr and all parts replaced are oem parts. I started the truck idling great for about 20 minutes drove it down the road to get it opened up and warmed up real good never even got to open her up about 3 miles from my house truck dies. i had to get pulled back home... i pulled the icp pigtail still would not start but it is brand new icp sensor. koeo ipr 14.7% crank immediatly goes to 85% hpop only goes little over 200 psi.. ive got the ipr air test line that goes straight into the ipr port and have done an air test no air or gurgling from the oil filter housing. but i have a strong his and feel air on the passenger side oil rail near the back#7 injector. injector. The injector seals still look good so i dont think it is the injector. I'm curious is there a way to tell if i may have a hole or bad branch tube? im considering pulling my oil rails and swapping side with the rails and doing an air test again and see what happens... Also, considered pulling the turbo and hpo pump cover and running air again see if there is a leak still at the j-tube.. I dont know were else to look or go im stumped on this one.. Please help!! Thank You!
I would remove the turbo and oil filter and air test it again and listen for air in the turbo oil return port in the HPOP cover and the other usual places, When you say the injector orings look good did you mean the top injector orings too? The ones that seal to the nipple cups? Have you read through this thread? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ole-story.html

Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 PM
cope1972
Senior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
I would remove the turbo and oil filter and air test it again and listen for air in the turbo oil return port in the HPOP cover and the other usual places, When you say the injector orings look good did you mean the top injector orings too? The ones that seal to the nipple cups? Have you read through this thread? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ole-story.html
Yes I replaced the top or inner seals on the injectors.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:37 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your not extremely carefull those o-rings are easy to nick and they can leak brand new.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:01 PM
cope1972
Senior User
I always hear a gurgle coming from the turbo drain port, but nothing in oil filter housing.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:08 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
I always hear a gurgle coming from the turbo drain port, but nothing in oil filter housing.
If you hear air from the turbo oil return in the HPOP cover I would check the oring between the HPOP and cover.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:13 PM
cope1972
Senior User
If you hear air from the turbo oil return in the HPOP cover I would check the oring between the HPOP and cover.
ok i will check that thanks..

Old 11-30-2014, 09:15 PM
cope1972
Senior User
the last time i had the turbo out and did an air test i heard gurgling coming from the turbo oil return port, but thought that people had said that is normal?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I've read this and you're other post. Sadly, I don't think you have a choice but to pull the turbo and hpop cover and run another air test.

New 03 and 04 hpop can be bad. Moreso if they are rebuilt.

I don't know how to check for a leak in the branch tubes.

Recheck the oring at the ball tube on the injector where you hear the air.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:47 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
the last time i had the turbo out and did an air test i heard gurgling coming from the turbo oil return port, but thought that people had said that is normal?
Check out these videos, its the same engine build as yours.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 PM
cope1972
Senior User

I mean no! dis-respect sir! so Pleas don't take offense but, these videos are all common knowledge. I do appreciate the thought though! I've done this and even pulled the pump again today and inspected the top and bottom orings both are good condition. I didn't get chance to do an air test with the pump cover off but plan on doing so tomorrow.. my one question or curiousity is the j-tube even he says in video not sure if that is suppose to wiggle as it does. Ive been given conflicting stories some say yes that's common some say no its not suppose to be like that.. so which one is it...

Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
I mean no! dis-respect sir! so Pleas don't take offense but, these videos are all common knowledge. I do appreciate the thought though! I've done this and even pulled the pump again today and inspected the top and bottom orings both are good condition. I didn't get chance to do an air test with the pump cover off but plan on doing so tomorrow.. my one question or curiousity is the j-tube even he says in video not sure if that is suppose to wiggle as it does. Ive been given conflicting stories some say yes that's common some say no its not suppose to be like that.. so which one is it...
<br />
None taken, the point of the videos was to show what he found and what a successful air test should sound like.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 PM
cope1972
Senior User

None taken, the point of the videos was to show what he found and what a successful air test should sound like.

I understand that's why I am stumped on why im still having a leak.. only thing I know to do is air test it with the pump cover off and as suggested pull the nipple cup off the rail and inspect it also..

Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Disconnect the j-tube from the quick release going into the branch tube. Get a rubber tipped air nozzle, and apply pressurized air directly into the branch tube. At this point is where you will know if you need to go left or right (or not at all). By doing this, you are taking the HPOP and j-tube out of your air test equation.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 PM
cope1972
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Disconnect the j-tube from the quick release going into the branch tube. Get a rubber tipped air nozzle, and apply pressurized air directly into the branch tube. At this point is where you will know if you need to go left or right (or not at all). By doing this, you are taking the HPOP and j-tube out of your air test equation.

I will definatly give that a try thank you!

Quick Reply: late 04 no start Please Help!