1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

How can I remove my steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Larry Wall
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I remove my steering wheel

The guy I bought this truck from previously was really short, and the truck has a high lift so he grabbed the steering wheel to pull himself up into the truck causing the whole darned thing to become wobbly. I'm just trying to get some stability and some style on top of it into my new truck! =)

So, to the point, I just purchased this fancy steering wheel: Search Results at Andys Auto Sport

It hasn't come in the mail yet but I was curious if there are any do's or don'ts I should be worried about when it comes to removing the steering wheel in my 1996 F250 7.3L Powerstroke -- I heard airbags are something to fear but I don't see any airbag logo on my steering wheel at all...so I'm not sure what's goin on there!

If someone could point me to a nice walkthrough so I don't kill myself taking it apart, that'd be aces!

Thanks in advance,
Larry

Old 11-29-2014, 11:44 PM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
Originally Posted by Larry Wall
The guy I bought this truck from previously was really short, and the truck has a high lift so he grabbed the steering wheel to pull himself up into the truck causing the whole darned thing to become wobbly. I'm just trying to get some stability and some style on top of it into my new truck! =)

So, to the point, I just purchased this fancy steering wheel: Search Results at Andys Auto Sport

It hasn't come in the mail yet but I was curious if there are any do's or don'ts I should be worried about when it comes to removing the steering wheel in my 1996 F250 7.3L Powerstroke -- I heard airbags are something to fear but I don't see any airbag logo on my steering wheel at all...so I'm not sure what's goin on there!

If someone could point me to a nice walkthrough so I don't kill myself taking it apart, that'd be aces!

Thanks in advance,
Larry
please don't put that steering wheel in a nice obs, sorry just my opinion, that being said i don't think that is going to fix your "wobble" problem, sounds to me like the bearings in your steering column need r&r

Old 11-29-2014, 11:52 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Pull the pad,center but and use a puller for steering wheels to remove.you will be loosing cruise control and your dignity with that wheel.
And yea..the bearings are your issue..not the wheel.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Larry Wall
Junior User
Is it a real pain to replace the bearings? Anyone know of some instructions I could use for that?

Also, what's wrong with putting that wheel in? My entire truck is modded to hell...it's just yet another mod lol

Old 11-30-2014, 06:05 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bearings in the steering column are definitely the issue, but sometimes depending on how bad they are and how long they have been that way, the shaft could also be damaged. If so, then the easiest thing to do would be find another steering column and replace the whole thing. That isn't a bad job at all.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:08 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Also, like Aaron said, if you use that steering wheel, you won't have cruise anymore, and unless you ordered an installation kit specific for our trucks, you won't have a horn either.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:11 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well for 35$, like my rent's always used to say, you get what you pay for.

If you were making a drag truck, go for it, personally, CC on these trucks is amazing, and I don't know what I would do without it on those long trips.

I saw a telescopic column for 150$ somewhere, and a new gearbox to reduce the sloppy turning radius. That's the direction I would go.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Larry Wall
Junior User
Wow all you guys are ******* my $35 steering wheel lol surely you can recommend a better sporty looking one?

Don't need horn, doesn't work anyway, don't need cruise control either...

Old 11-30-2014, 10:21 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last time I checked MI had inspections. So I'm pretty sure a horn is part of that.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:21 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Larry,if you like it then go for it.that wheel just isn't for me.
It must be because I'm goofy, I like key cc.

Throw up some pics when its all installed. Maybe I was too hasty to judge

Old 11-30-2014, 07:05 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Larry Wall
Wow all you guys are ******* my $35 steering wheel lol surely you can recommend a better sporty looking one?

Don't need horn, doesn't work anyway, don't need cruise control either...
I wasn't ******* it LOL! I was just saying that won't fix your problem of the wheel being wobbly, and just saying you wouldn't have cruise or a horn. If you like it that's all that matters

Old 11-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
There are no inspections in michigan.

The steering wheel issues are described above.

Sometiems the bolts under the dash come loose also and the thing can wobble around.

but usually the tilt bushings and bearings go bad.

if you're lucky, you can get it off without a puller, but you'll probably need a puller to get it off the spline.
i just snug mine down so i can smack it off when i put them back on, dont armstrong the nut back on.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:52 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Like most have said, the wheel itself is likely not the problem. Hopefully tightening the suggested hardware is all you need.

Old school wheel removal: Put some pulling tension on the wheel, knees underneath, a partner pulling it from behind you. Not crazy tension, just some. With the nut loosened and the top surface of the nut flush with the shaft, hit the shaft smartly with a hammer. Preferably a heavy or a dead blow one. You are not trying to drive the shaft through the floor, merely separate if from the wheel.

After you fix the sloppiness search for side steps and inside grab rails. You will never need to touch the wheel again while entering or exiting the truck.

Good luck!