E rated tires for towing.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Dcope17
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E rated tires for towing.

I have a 2001 Excursion 4x4 V10. Used 95% to pull my jeep on a trailer ( total weight not over 6K )
I got some tires and they were out of the 265/75/r16 size so they recommended 285/75/r16. I drove to the desert for Thanksgiving and really had a hard time keeping the trailer in the lane.
Tires felt like they were low on air. ( I bought a gauge and they were @ 80PSI ) There was no trailer sway ( I have 600 lbs tongue weight ) I have made this same drive with the Excursion and trailer so I know the road has not changed to make it act funny.

Anyway, I stopped by America's Tire and they said they would swap out the tires to whatever size/style I want.

THIS is the link to my current tires. ( not the size I have but the stock size )

So, my question is, Should I just get the same tire in the correct size?
Or is there a better tire?

Old 11-28-2014, 08:18 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
Your issue could be a number of things. Changing the size for one is a possibility.

Even though they are e-rated tires that is probably a Chinese brand. The sidewalls are probably weaker.

do you have a steering stabilizer on the truck. A dual setup may help to tighten the steering up.

Also do you have a weight distribution setup for the hitch/trailer? That can help a lot as well.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 AM
DPhillips
Senior User
The tires look lie Bridgestone Revo AT 2 knockoffs. Probably of Chinese origin at that price.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Dcope17
Freshman User
They are a made in China tire... I read the one review on America's Tire website and it says this...
"Tire Pros
Very smooth and quiet ride, attractive styling, has all the right features, severe service rating, good price, drives well in city or on freeway.
Tire Cons
Rubbery, non-linear handling,poor traction in heavy rain. Harmonic resonance vibration problem at 65 MPH.
This tire provides a very smooth and quiet ride. They track well on-center, look attractive and have all the right features including all season, all terrain, outline white letter, and severe service (snow flake) rating. In the city and on the freeway they drive well. On a winding mountain road, the handling is rubbery, and non-linear making highway speed cornering control difficult. When driven in very heavy rain conditions the tires skate all over the road and loose traction easily during hard acceleration or stopping. They are not a good match for a loaded 3/4 ton pickup, but would probably work very well on a small to mid size SUV or compact pickup. I exchanged them for another brand of tire more suited my needs. "

I have done some research since America's Tire said they would swap them out with something else. Either I'd pay the difference if higher or they will refund difference if lower price.
I have it narrowed down to 2 different tires. One Cooper and I can't remember the other at the moment.
Both had gotten good reviews from people that have actually towed with them.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 AM
Dcope17
Freshman User
I do have a steering stabilizer ( single ) but no weight distribution hitch.
I can easily steer the truck empty and no trailer... Recent front end alignment too.
I didn't know that a weight distribution hitch would help with towing control.
I'll look into one of those.

Thanks for the info, Dan.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
I think your primary issue is the tires. They sold you some china bombs. Get rid of them.

I have had great luck with coopers and they are American.

Secondly you need to check your state but most all trailers over 5K you should have a weight distribution hitch setup.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I can't imagine those e rated LT's being the issue. You don't indicate what tires you have on the trailer but I'd bet it's more a trailer and trailer tire issue then the new treads on your truck.
You may have loaded the jeep slightly further back on the trailer to change the tongue weight. I'd start there.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:26 PM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Look into the Cooper's. I've heard good things about them. Surprisingly, I have Mastercraft tires on my truck and I love how they handle and tow. I'm used to the Nitto's and Toyo's and had great service out of them, but they are pricey.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Personally, I can't imagine those e rated LT's being the issue. You don't indicate what tires you have on the trailer but I'd bet it's more a trailer and trailer tire issue then the new threads on your truck.
You may have loaded the jeep slightly further back on the trailer to change the tongue weight. I'd start there.
I second your thoughts and suggestion. Need some weights.

Steve

Old 12-03-2014, 03:25 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not all E rated tires are equal. Next time you are at the dealer pull 4 or 5 different E rated tires down and sit them in-car position and sit on top of the tread with all your weight. If you are light, ask a more substantial innocent bystander to do it. You might be surprised. I had one brand fold up like a cheap suit.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:02 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thomabb
Not all E rated tires are equal. Next time you are at the dealer pull 4 or 5 different E rated tires down and sit them in-car position and sit on top of the tread with all your weight. If you are light, ask a more substantial innocent bystander to do it. You might be surprised. I had one brand fold up like a cheap suit.
I think if you do it with all LT tires of the same size and rating, you will find a very similar result.
I'd like to know of any LT tire that folds that easy.
Maybe make a U tube video for all to see?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Dcope17
Freshman User
Part of the trouble ( or maybe the whole problem ) could be the 285/75/r16 size. They were out of the 265/75/16 but didn't realize until they had all the wheels off the truck and tires off the rims.
Looking up Coopers website, the rim size for the 285s are between 7 1/2 and 9" wide. 8" being ideal. I have 7" wide rims.
The 265s rim is between 7" and 8"... 7 1/2 being ideal.
My whole problem could simply be the rim width with the 285 tire.

So, I've done a little research... E1 or 10 ply rated tires no longer are actually 10 ply... It is now just based on tire strength compared to the old school 10 actual plies tires.
I see most E1 tires are actually a 2 ply sidewall.

My debate on which tire is between two...
The Cooper has pretty good reviews with an occasional review that the tire sways with a heavy load.
The BFG All-Terrain is a tried and true tire and has been produced since I can remember. ( I'm 38 so it's been around a little while ) it also is a 3 ply sidewall tire. ( only one I could find... All others being 2 )
My question is that the BFGs are a good tire and last well... But I don't know about pulling with. I know they're usually the preferred tire for the big diesel vans fully loaded expedition style and carrying significant weight but all on the vehicle, not behind.
Assuming the truck weighs 6K... Total weight I'll be taking up the mountains will be aprox 12K lbs. I think some of those heavy vans weigh in at 9K lbs. so, a little bit lighter.

My dedate is will the all-terrain last even close to the Cooper tire... And is it really any more rigid based on the 3 ply sidewall???

I guess more research to do. Thanks everyone for all the responses.

P.S. I am looking into the weight distribution hitch as well... That will be my next purchase after sorting out the tires.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:58 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
I have Coopers on my truck....LT265/75/R16 and they work great empty. I pull my 5th wheel and total truck and trailer is approx. 18,400. Truck by itself is 7800. Empty or pulling I never get any wander.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:20 AM
ramblincowboy
Tuned
I ran the BFG All Terrain in a 285-75-16 on my '05 F250. I grossed up to 26K regularly with a 24' gooseneck stock trailer, and was always very happy with the handling and weight carrying abilities of the tires. I can't speak for the Coopers, but I don't believe the BFG's will disappoint.

All that said though, I do know that some of those cheaper AT tires need some miles to "wear in" the tread. I picked up a set of 235 Kumho AT's that a neighbor had put on his F350 and ran less than 24 hours and returned because they "felt squirrely". Local tire dealer said he had told him before he bought them that they would be that way 'til they got a couple thousand miles, but he brought 'em back anyway. I ran 'em on a trailer and got along just fine. So your current tires might get better.

I've bought cheaper tires in the past - I know sometimes you can only do what you can do, but if I've learned anything in 30 plus years of towing regularly is not to skimp on tires. My family and my livestock are literally riding on them every day, so tires are something I'm pretty picky about.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Outdoors1
Freshman User
As to sidewall stiffness, several years ago I emailed Tire Rack and asked about it. They said there is no rating or measurement for it, but based on customer feedback the two stiffest are the BFG All Terrain T/A KO and the Goodyear Silent Armor.