Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 09:39 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer case questions

This is for this is for the truck in my signature. Short bed, std cab.

1) I see the transfer case is connected to the transmission via an extension. I am working under the truck and don't have a lift. What's the best way to remove the transfer case, which side of the transmission extension?

2) (long term question) am I able to upgrade this transfer case to one that I can shift on the fly, like the newer push-button transfer cases? Any way to adapt this?

Thanks

Old 11-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
1) I'm 95% sure the "extension" is the 4WD trans tail shaft housing and you remove the t.case at the back of it, leaving the tail shaft with the trans.

2) If you have manual hubs you can shift any t.case on the fly. If you think you might want 4WD lock the hubs before you start out. Then you can shift back and forth between 2-hi and 4-hi pretty much any time you want. It's best not to do it when you are in a relatively tight turn, and you do NOT want to be spinning your back tires when shifting into 4WD, but otherwise no real limits.

If you have auto hubs (and plan on keeping them), I don't think the lever-shift t.cases can be shifted into 4WD while moving, unless the hubs are already locked. There were push-button t.cases used in a lot of F-150s in the '90s. Those should be an easy swap mechanically. You might have to get a little creative with the wiring, but that shouldn't be too hard either.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can shift on the fly between 2H and 4H regardless of the hub style. As Nothing Special mentions, don't do it in tight turns or with the read wheels spinning. Just ease of the throttle at the moment you shift to remove load from the drive train, then ease back on the throttle. No need to upgrade, you've already go what you need.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:01 AM
SteelHorse4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you located man. I've got a electronic transfer case, control box, shift buttons and most of the wiring for it.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:15 PM
omnicare
Freshman User
Transfer case failure

I do not want to hijack this thread but I can not figure out how to start a new thread of my own!

But my transfer case just literally came apart and I want to upload some pics and see if anyone has ever seen it before?

Please advise me how to start a new thread?

Rob

Old 12-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Originally Posted by omnicare
I do not want to hijack this thread but I can not figure out how to start a new thread of my own!
Go to the top of the page for this section where you see all the different threads listed, and near the top on left you will see a button titled "New Thread", press that and enter your question, give it a title and submit.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Just my opinion but if you have the auto hubs change to manual ones. I recently had to drive 100 or so miles with one side half engaged .And I think the owners manual says something about 55 mph is the max speed to go to 4Hi.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:39 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by Island Time
You can shift on the fly between 2H and 4H regardless of the hub style. As Nothing Special mentions, don't do it in tight turns or with the read wheels spinning. Just ease of the throttle at the moment you shift to remove load from the drive train, then ease back on the throttle. No need to upgrade, you've already go what you need.
agreed. i do this all the time. when winter comes around or i know i will be going into sloppy conditions, i lock the front hubs and leave the t-case in 2 wheel. when i need 4 wheel, i just let off the throttle and pull the shifter back into 4 high, then back on the throttle.